Advise for a MS3 thinking about EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dreev335

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Third year medical student thinking about applying to EM. I've got a 231 step 1 and am probably slightly above average in my class GPA wise. I know I need to do away rotations and am working on applying for them. What else do I need to be considering? Do I need to take step 2 before applying? Or is my step 1 good enough to hold out a bit? I'm not trying to get into the Harvard of EM residencies, but would like to avoid ending up in rural Montana or something. Any other advise on how to get into EM would be greatly appreciated, I feel like my school has provided me with nothing. Thanks!
 
If you haven't already, join AAEM and look into their mentorship program.
If your school has an affiliated EM residency, the program director or other faculty may be helpful.
A few years ago, I took step 2 CK after starting interviews. I think the trend is to take it sooner now, but I could be wrong.
 
I'd recommend taking Step 2 before applying since your Step 1 score is good but not going to knock their socks off and EM is getting more and more competitive.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you haven't already, join AAEM and look into their mentorship program.
If your school has an affiliated EM residency, the program director or other faculty may be helpful.
A few years ago, I took step 2 CK after starting interviews. I think the trend is to take it sooner now, but I could be wrong.
Definitely look into AAEM. Super helpful. Some other sources that may be useful:
http://emadvisor.blogspot.com/
https://cdemcurriculum.com/2016/04/06/student-advising-task-force/
https://www.aliem.com/category/non-clinical/em-match-advice/ (Academic Life in EM is one of the most reliable sources of information I have found regarding the process of applying in EM)

Third year medical student thinking about applying to EM. I've got a 231 step 1 and am probably slightly above average in my class GPA wise. I know I need to do away rotations and am working on applying for them. What else do I need to be considering? Do I need to take step 2 before applying? Or is my step 1 good enough to hold out a bit? I'm not trying to get into the Harvard of EM residencies, but would like to avoid ending up in rural Montana or something. Any other advise on how to get into EM would be greatly appreciated, I feel like my school has provided me with nothing. Thanks!
It may be helpful in securing more interviews if you improve significantly, but it is not required. I would recommend it. Luckily for you, there are no EM residencies in rural (or any other part of) Montana 😉