Advise needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bill_252001

B+
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here is how it goes.
I am a 3rd yr DO student on clinical rotations. I took USMLE and COMLEX (for DO) and scored 241/99 and 720/99. I am almost 100% sure that I want to do radiology residency. I don't know what the stats are like for those who matched so can someone please tell me what are my chances, also whatelse can i do to strengthen my application. Any background in radition physics, etc will help?? how about a masters' program??

What chances do i have for landing MD residency with this score??

Thanks much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Saar,

Advise is given & advice taken.

Danke

so here is how it goes.
I am a 3rd yr DO student on clinical rotations. I took USMLE and COMLEX (for DO) and scored 241/99 and 720/99. I am almost 100% sure that I want to do radiology residency. I don't know what the stats are like for those who matched so can someone please tell me what are my chances, also whatelse can i do to strengthen my application. Any background in radition physics, etc will help?? how about a masters' program??

What chances do i have for landing MD residency with this score??

Thanks much in advance.

Check out http://radiology.matchapplicants.com/ for stats of previously matched applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
The avg Step 1 for Rads hovers at about 235, so you would be above avg. Being a DO is a negative factor, but wouldn't ban you from the specialty. I would say the best thing you can do is get involved in a Rads research project, that would be way better than spending an entire year on some Masters program. It's REALLY impt to get A's in your core clinical rotations, esp Surgery & Medicine (but really all of them).

You should be able to match somewhere if you post some good stats, maybe not the top program in the country, but somewhere.

Those scores are very good, they will help you alot. I predict rads applications will start to decline now with all of these government ordered cuts to imaging reimbursement and continued encroachment from other fields into rads. The other things you need to do are high pass clinicals, esp medicine and surgery, apply to alot of programs (number depends on competitiveness, you are more likely to get interviews at places closer to your school or hometown) and just try to stay relaxed and friendly during interviews. I don't believe aways really help in radiology unless it's just to show a strong interest in a program, you certainly won't impress anyone with your rads skillz as a med student. I was in your shoes 2 years ago and matched very well, nearly identical scores. Don't waste time getting a masters, if you truly want to do research getting an MD/DO is plenty and no one will care about an MS degree. You learn about physics and radiation safety in residency. Save yourself the years, you'll be glad you did.

Good Luck!