Advise/questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's the deal. I'm bummed coz I got rejected from my top 3 schools, and waitlisted at Purdue... On the bright side, Illinois accepted me :)
Now, my question is would it be a good idea to wait a while and see if Purdue calls about acceptance, or just forget them and go with a sure thing? Any one have experience with this?
My other question is - does any one know if it's possible to transfer to another school after the first year? I'm just curious coz a lot of ppl said I could do that, but it seems unlikely to me.
Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of in the same boat, accepted to Illinois, wait-listed at Purdue, rejected by my top school. Fortunately for me, Illinois was my second school, so I'm taking it. I don't think I'd wait past the deadline for accepting an offer to Illinois.

As for transferring, from what I understand you better have a pretty good reason, and it's contingent on spots being available at the school you want to transfer to. It's kind of a crap shoot. I would imagine that vet schools don't like it when they give spots to people who then try and transfer after one year.

at most schools you should be able to put down your deposit (by april 15th) to hold your spot. If Purdue then comes through (and you switch) you would lose the deposit. It's likely worth depositing. I'd maybe put in a self deadline of if Purdue doesn't come through by May then I'll just go to illinois.

Members don't see this ad :)
My other question is - does any one know if it's possible to transfer to another school after the first year?
None of the schools seem to encourage transferring, and quite a few explicitly don't accept transfers at all. Check the web sites of the schools you're interested in to see what their policies are. Also, although every school pretty much has to teach you identical stuff within your first three years, the order they teach it in varies somewhat. So there might be classes taught in the first year at your target school that aren't scheduled 'til the second year at IL, or vice versa, putting you behind in some subjects and ahead in others. I have no idea how schools accepting transfer students handle conflicts like that. Summer remediation, maybe? Anyway, seems like something you'd want to make sure of early on if you'd seriously consider transferring.

Thanks so much everyone! I kinda had all the same thoughts about transferring, so now I know what can done :D