Advisors confused me - When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forthewinlinh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a junior in college, and my advisor for human biology didn't really know anything about the optometry admissions process and confused me on when I should apply / if it's too late for me to apply and get in for the Fall of 2018?

I went to a meeting last week and heard something about how I should have my OAT scores by Oct/early Nov. Considering it is now late November I am extremely worried because I really don't want to take a gap year. Can someone please help me with a little timeline of what I should be doing when, and let me know if it's too late?

Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Applications for fall of 2018 should open up around July 2017 so I wouldn't be too worried!

If you meant admissions for Fall of 2017, then yes applications have started. Depending on the school you want to apply to, they may accept later OAT test dates. You would have to directly contact the school. Seats are also being filled up on a rolling basis so less and less seats are available as time goes by.

Sorry to hear that your advisor was super unhelpful.. :/

BUT if you really do mean Fall of 2018, you got tons of time!