AECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm on a few waitlists at this point. i'm waiting to hear back regarding a merit scholarship at einstein. if i get it i'll deffinitely take einstein. if not i'll play the waitlist game out and then decide.

Members don't see this ad.

QofQuimica said:
Same as what kasha said. Apparently they invite people to apply.

have you heard back from the scholarship yet? any idea when we will?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry xTiggerx, you are right about having two TB tests, I read it wrong. But has anyone gotten any info about Fin. Aid offers or know when we should receive this info?

wildcatbio06 said:
Sorry xTiggerx, you are right about having two TB tests, I read it wrong. But has anyone gotten any info about Fin. Aid offers or know when we should receive this info?

umm so has anyone finished their health forms and sent it off? I've been at work and haven't had a chance to call about that whole two TB tests thing, and was still wondering if I can send what I have now and then after i get my 2nd TB test, send that result in later. anyone?? :confused:

xTiggerx said:
umm so has anyone finished their health forms and sent it off? I've been at work and haven't had a chance to call about that whole two TB tests thing, and was still wondering if I can send what I have now and then after i get my 2nd TB test, send that result in later. anyone?? :confused:

I'm confused, didn't we need to get most of those shots for undergrad? Or is there more? Can we just ask our undergrad school to send us copies of the vaccines?

Does anybody have any news on financial aid? The financial aid officer said they will come up with financial aid packages after the dean sets the new tuition. Being that it was Passover last week, I wonder if the dean has even done that. May 15th is fast approaching, you would assume we would have those packages before then right?

NYMed said:
I'm confused, didn't we need to get most of those shots for undergrad? Or is there more? Can we just ask our undergrad school to send us copies of the vaccines?

You need to get a blood test for titers of those vaccines. In other words, they want to know if those vaccines are still working, and then based on those results, if you need any further vaccination.

AECOM is pass/fail for the first two years right? Do you know if they still have class rankings? i'm worried that only boards will count towards residency.. i'm not sure that i want the extra pressure :eek:

Trying to decide between Einstein and Rosalind Franklin.. any thoughts? :)

*shrug* seems from the allo forum that even if you have grades, the boards are still much more important. It's just unavoidable. Additionally, I don't remember the breakdown right now (it was posted elsewhere on sdn) but a large percentage of the top schools are p/f (and more are converting) and not everyone at those schools gets absolutely amazing board scores, and yet they match well. Lastly, people who go to real p/f schools usually rave about it, say they couldn't imagine going to school w/o it, makes their lives so much easier and eliminates competitiveness.

Just found this aecom 2010 thread today. I guess i am joining the party. Everyone excited about starting this fall. It's cool cos you get to know some of your classmates before school starts. I am looking forward to spending the next 4 years of my life in new york. I currently live and go to school in LA and should be studying for a quiz instead of posting messages online but who cares, all i need is at least a C in all my classes.
Nice to meet you guys here anyways

temmie said:
Just found this aecom 2012 thread today. I guess i am joining the party. Everyone excited about starting this fall. It's cool cos you get to know some of your classmates before school starts. I am looking forward to spending the next 4 years of my life in new york. I currently live and go to school in LA and should be studying for a quiz instead of posting messages online but who cares, all i need is at least a C in all my classes.
Nice to meet you guys here anyways

So you've def decided on AECOM? I remember a thread sometime not too long ago where you were debating between AECOM and another school... or am I confusing you with someone else?

NYMed said:
So you've def decided on AECOM? I remember a thread sometime not too long ago where you were debating between AECOM and another school... or am I confusing you with someone else?

yeah you are right> There is a 82.4%chance that i go to AECOM, except if i get into UCSF, which looks really impossible since i blew my interview. So yeah, i am getting excited now. I should be studying for my quiz starting in 14mins, but then i am starting to have a seriuos caseof senioritis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found this thread today too! I've decided on aecom for sure :thumbup: I was wondering about the fin aid too, but I guess we won't find out just yet. I was also wondering when we were gonna get the housing info. I just want to have everything set!

:D aecom 2010!!!

temmie said:
yeah you are right> There is a 82.4%chance that i go to AECOM, except if i get into UCSF, which looks really impossible since i blew my interview. So yeah, i am getting excited now. I should be studying for my quiz starting in 14mins, but then i am starting to have a seriuos caseof senioritis.

Yeah, I thought so. Weren't you also the one that mentioned going to the AECOM second look? I didn't think there was one... Was this something different? Thanks! I'd really like to go to an official second look, more organized that way.

NYMed said:
Yeah, I thought so. Weren't you also the one that mentioned going to the AECOM second look? I didn't think there was one... Was this something different? Thanks! I'd really like to go to an official second look, more organized that way.

Yeah they are having a minority admit weekend sometime. Just a way of making them feel like there are other black students on campus cos really i did not see many at my interview ( no racial debates pls, i am just been realistic) .I dont think it's anything big but then i am not going since seeing 12 students out of 100+ does not give you a good idea of what your classmates are going to be like. Anyways, i wish us all good luck as we step into that land of debt but then it's worth it

Hey,
I'm a first year at Einstein- congrads guys! I think myodana answered some of your questions, but I'll give it a shot on the more recent ones:

1- Revisit weekend: This never applied to me because I was accepted pretty late, but I know it stinks we don't really have one. Any of you who want to come up, email me and I'll show you around ([email protected]). My roommate came back to take a second look herself, and the admissions people are super-sweet; you tell them you want to come back, they buy you lunch and set you up with a place to stay and two students to walk you around. If you are an MSTP they really take you out...check with your program or the admissions people.

2- Residency: The 'ranking', such as it is, is based mainly on 3rd and 4th year grades, which are P/F/Honors. I'm a BIG fan of the 1st/2nd year P/F; it takes a load off, and we do pretty great on the boards, so evidently we still learn the material as well as other schools. Everyone helps one another out before tests; I know more than one classmate who was pulled through by last-minute study guides and study sessions. Everyone has a strength in a different area; I tutored friends on Anatomy, and now they tutor me back on Renal and CV (physics is not my strong suit!). Don't stress the boards...you have a year-and-a-half respite from major tests! Enjoy it.

3-Random tag about UCSF: I moved out to CA to get residency the year before applying just because UCSF was my dream-school...after working there and getting to know people, I actually chose Einstein. It seemed to me that everyone there was way too stressed out about their work, and didn't have much perspective on how they fit into the greater scheme of things. Not that UCSF is a bad school; they do fantastic research. I just wanted to spend some time with a more chill group.

4-Moving in: Many people take the biochem course just to be able to move in early; I was one of these. It was great to get on campus two weeks early (and rent-free); there were events every single day, from cookouts to bar nights to museum/botanical garden trips. I took time and painted my room, bought some furniture (there's only so much you can carry on top of a Toyota Camry, coming from CA), and explored the city. I would definately recommend it. Those who didn't take the course told me later that they really wish they had.

5-Financial Aid: I'm borrowing tuition plus a little extra; my parents are giving me a little each month to cover room and board (which comes out to about $800 for me). Books are a sizable chunk...one way to help with this is to go to Donna Licandro's office early in the year and ask her if she needs assistants. You get jobs like sharpening pencils, etc, and then get book vouchers at the bookstore. I lead tours, which are about $12 per tour in vouchers (although I would do those for free, they're fun). Also, there is a bookswap early in the year, around the time Histology starts. Books are very cheap, although some have highlighting. An added perk, one they don't talk about much, is that Einstein will give you $2,000 for the summer between first and second year to do basically anything you want. I'll be doing a research project on nutrition in the south bronx; this covers my expenses for the summer. Other friends of mine are going abroad; Africa, Bolivia, DR, China...the program is well set-up and there are so many options it's a little intimidating.
The reason the average is lower than 200,000 probably takes into account MSTP's (we have more than most schools, I think), and also Army/Navy/Airforce and NHSC scholarship people. We have about 5 in our class now, and more joining. They give you a great deal (I considered it).

If you have any other questions please email me; I know what it was like last year, moving cross-country and then changing my admissions plans a week before school started! I also took three years off, so if you are a fellow 'nontraditional', give me a hollar.

Good luck guys!
:)
Annie

Thanks annie
It's good to have you on board. I might be driving down there from cali too so i am glad to see someone else that did it. I dont have any questions right now but just wanted to say thanks for joining the club. About housing, I am guessing the apartments are not furnished. right?
Aecom students seem really content and happy where they are so i am excited about joining the team in august.
see ya

guys i have started loving the idea of moving to new york but there is a recent development. I got into ucsf, even though i thought it was my worst interview. Sooooooooooo i am in a dilemna. ucsf and be closer to family or einstein and pay really cheap rent. I will let you guys know as soon as i decide.

For those of you still up in the air about Einstein, I highly recommend making yourself a revisit, even if its from far away. There is something about the lack of interview stress and nice weather that may give you a better view. For instance, the surrounding area is not bad. After I visited again, I got a better sense of the environment and aura of the school, and it helped confirm my decision to go.

4-Moving in: Many people take the biochem course just to be able to move in early; I was one of these. It was great to get on campus two weeks early (and rent-free); there were events every single day, from cookouts to bar nights to museum/botanical garden trips. I took time and painted my room, bought some furniture (there's only so much you can carry on top of a Toyota Camry, coming from CA), and explored the city. I would definately recommend it. Those who didn't take the course told me later that they really wish they had.

Hey guys! I'm so excited about starting this fall...I'm definitely going to Einstein :) Does anyone know anything else about the summer biochem course and how to register for it? thanks!

Anyone hear back about the service and leadership scholarships yet? I thought they were supposed to be making decisions by the 5th.

lazygunner said:
Anyone hear back about the service and leadership scholarships yet? I thought they were supposed to be making decisions by the 5th.

Did you receive an email from the Dean about change of date?

I was told that they would be mailed out on the 5th. I guess, if true, this would mean that we will find out in a few days.

kasha said:
Did you receive an email from the Dean about change of date?

I was told that they would be mailed out on the 5th. I guess, if true, this would mean that we will find out in a few days.

by the way, any idea what percentage of people receive aid and how large the grants are?

ivoriesdsc said:

Do you have to pay extra for the biochem course? Or is it included in your tuition?

NYMed said:
Do you have to pay extra for the biochem course? Or is it included in your tuition?

I've heard that its no additional cost

I know this is asked repeatedly on this thread but any new info on housing? I called around the first of the month and they said they were hoping to have the packets out by the 15th. Just wondering if anyone has called recently.

QofQuimica said:
I haven't decided where to go yet. :oops:

I haven't decided yet either. I am leaning far towards Einstein, but I have not yet heard from the financial aid office or the housing, so I am kind of worried. I am trying to choose between Einstein and Downstate. At first I was mainly considering the money issue, which made me want to go to Downstate because it made me incredibly nervous to think about the debt I will have if I go to Einstein, but it seems like lately I have not been too worried about the money, but more about "where will I be happy". Do you guys see yourself being happy at Einstein, despite the lack of surrounding coffee shops, restaurants, etc. (I really like living in a city where there is lots of get-away places), the non-existent library (I can NEVER study at home -- i get too distracted), and the dormitory style living (I really like the idea of being around people all the time and studying in groups or just being able to knock on someone's door to give a friendly hello!).

I'd love your feedback! I have to decide by FRIDAY! SCARY!!

kasha said:
I've heard that its no additional cost

I haven't heard anything about this... Should I be worried?

inocchi said:
I haven't decided yet either. I am leaning far towards Einstein, but I have not yet heard from the financial aid office or the housing, so I am kind of worried. I am trying to choose between Einstein and Downstate. At first I was mainly considering the money issue, which made me want to go to Downstate because it made me incredibly nervous to think about the debt I will have if I go to Einstein, but it seems like lately I have not been too worried about the money, but more about "where will I be happy". Do you guys see yourself being happy at Einstein, despite the lack of surrounding coffee shops, restaurants, etc. (I really like living in a city where there is lots of get-away places), the non-existent library (I can NEVER study at home -- i get too distracted), and the dormitory style living (I really like the idea of being around people all the time and studying in groups or just being able to knock on someone's door to give a friendly hello!).

I'd love your feedback! I have to decide by FRIDAY! SCARY!!

I had the same exact decision to make! I liked the fact that downstate was so much cheaper, but to me, the environment at Downstate seemed so unfriendly for some reason. But the moment I stepped foot in Einstein I felt right at home. Everyone was just so friendly and helpful and I loved everyone I met. I think its really important to be happy with the people you are surrounded with. As for the debt...its a horrible horrible thought that we will be in so much debt but most doctors go through the same exact thing and they survived! So I think its manageable...plus my cousin and his girlfriend graduated from einstein last year and they absolutely loved it there and said they would not have traded their experiences for anything...debt and all. So that kind of sold me! Let us know what your final decision is :)

Has anybody received a financial aid decision? It seems as though they only award up to $3000 in scholarship money and the rest is loans. Assuming a $53,000 budget, that means $50,000 in loans each year. If anyone else has received award letters from other schools, how do they compare to Einstein? I feel like other school do not force you to take out as many loans.

bbpiano1 said:
Has anybody received a financial aid decision? It seems as though they only award up to $3000 in scholarship money and the rest is loans. Assuming a $53,000 budget, that means $50,000 in loans each year. If anyone else has received award letters from other schools, how do they compare to Einstein? I feel like other school do not force you to take out as many loans.

A the budget will be over 55k
B as of yesterday they still hadnt set tuition so no packages
C you're right, I have considerable need but will only be given 3k in grants and 7k in loans from the school.

that's Einstein I guess

is anyone thinking about the introductory biochem course on 8/7? I'm not really interested in the biochem part of it. However, it would be nice to move in 2 weeks early and settle in before school starts. Plus, its weird cuz they said housing and class is free and your course grades are not recorded, but you have to take tests??? If your course grades are not recorded, then what's the point of even having tests in the course. They could just make it a biochem course without tests, just to give students a head start. Just seems like a weird idea to me to involve exams when there is no grading system. Anyway, whos thinking about it?

I am definitely thinking about the BioChem course. Being a business major, I have no background in biochem, so I think I could use a fresh start into science. So does the course start 08/07/06?

ofield23 said:
I am definitely thinking about the BioChem course. Being a business major, I have no background in biochem, so I think I could use a fresh start into science. So does the course start 08/07/06?

Yeah, I've heard it starts on august 7th...I'm interested in it, too. Any idea on how to register for it?

ivoriesdsc said:
Yeah, I've heard it starts on august 7th...I'm interested in it, too. Any idea on how to register for it?

I received info on it via snail mail on Saturday. I believe there was a registration sheet in it as well. You'll probably get yours soon.

betty7 said:
I received info on it via snail mail on Saturday. I believe there was a registration sheet in it as well. You'll probably get yours soon.

Has anyone else gotten anything from AECOM in the mail lately?

Nada. I live in NYC and I haven't gotten any info on the biochem course. I was a biochem major so I'm not sure if i'll take it just yet. BTW anyone from NYC definitely going to Einstein since they May 15th deadline is up. We can probably meet up or something.

zero2hero said:
Nada. I live in NYC and I haven't gotten any info on the biochem course. I was a biochem major so I'm not sure if i'll take it just yet. BTW anyone from NYC definitely going to Einstein since they May 15th deadline is up. We can probably meet up or something.

I'm from NYC and most likely going to Einstein. I got an extension on the deadline b/c the fin. aid info wasnt in yet.

zurned said:
I'm from NYC and most likely going to Einstein. I got an extension on the deadline b/c the fin. aid info wasnt in yet.

That is smart. I didn't realize you could do that.

zero2hero said:

I'm in the city as well, and if my waitlists don't come through, I'll be at Einstein.
I'd like to get some more info on the biochem course...I didn't take biochem in college, so it would probably be a good idea...

what's the deal with housing!?!?!

kasha said:
what's the deal with housing!?!?!

seriously, wut IS up with housing?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

ivoriesdsc said:
I had the same exact decision to make! I liked the fact that downstate was so much cheaper, but to me, the environment at Downstate seemed so unfriendly for some reason. But the moment I stepped foot in Einstein I felt right at home. Everyone was just so friendly and helpful and I loved everyone I met. I think its really important to be happy with the people you are surrounded with. As for the debt...its a horrible horrible thought that we will be in so much debt but most doctors go through the same exact thing and they survived! So I think its manageable...plus my cousin and his girlfriend graduated from einstein last year and they absolutely loved it there and said they would not have traded their experiences for anything...debt and all. So that kind of sold me! Let us know what your final decision is :)

Hey everyone!
I am officially GOING to AECOM!!! I'm really excited!!!!!!
I called the school about the biochem course, and they said that we will be getting stuff in the mail soon (I guess some of you already got it, I didn't though...)
About housing, my assumption is that they will be sending us that information shortly in the mail too. But it will probably be a survey to see what kind of room mate you want. They tend to put people of similar cultural backgrounds together, so if you would rather branch out and have a diverse group for apartment-mates, you should indicate it on the survey.

I will be in NY from May 25 - 28th. Does anyone want to meet up in the city on Sunday the 28th??????? I am really excited and want to meet you guys!

zurned said:

I did that too! And then one day later, I said, you know what, I am so exhausted from thinking about this so much, my decision is pretty much made, so why don't I just make it final!!! So I did it today! and I'm excited! Are you still unsure? It is a bit annoying that they are not on top of things, but I guess they make sure you will be able to cover all the costs you need to get covered and that is why they aren't too worried about the fact that a lot of us who decided to go to Einstein don't know what the tuition is yet. oy... debt!!! :(

inocchi said:
I did that too! And then one day later, I said, you know what, I am so exhausted from thinking about this so much, my decision is pretty much made, so why don't I just make it final!!! So I did it today! and I'm excited! Are you still unsure? It is a bit annoying that they are not on top of things, but I guess they make sure you will be able to cover all the costs you need to get covered and that is why they aren't too worried about the fact that a lot of us who decided to go to Einstein don't know what the tuition is yet. oy... debt!!! :(

actually the 2006 budget is up on the website as of yesterday.

i was actually thinking of coming up for a few days to have a 2nd look...

kasha said:
actually the 2006 budget is up on the website as of yesterday.

i was actually thinking of coming up for a few days to have a 2nd look...

great, the tuition increased by 3k i think.

Hey fellow aecomers - just curious... any international students going to Einstein next year?