AECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's officially the 15th, any AECOMers?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone recieve the email from admissions that asks if we wanna join the uncle albert club? Anyone have any idea what that's about? It sounds like a really lame name for a club btw.

zurned said:
Anyone recieve the email from admissions that asks if we wanna join the uncle albert club? Anyone have any idea what that's about? It sounds like a really lame name for a club btw.
lol, yeah, I got that too. It somehow seems like it's taking Einstein's name in vain. He's just not an "Uncle Al" kind of guy. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm on the waitlist but hey I'll post here anyway :) Congrats to all.

(haha now I'm posting on 2 class threads. I have a split personality)

tigress said:
Well I'm on the waitlist but hey I'll post here anyway :) Congrats to all.

(haha now I'm posting on 2 class threads. I have a split personality)
Don't be too hard on yourself, tigress. I've even posted on the threads of some schools I wasn't accepted to and also one that I didn't even apply to. :oops: Peer pressure is so hard to resist. :p

Is anybody on here planning on living in the AE student housing? I'd rather live in the city, but housing in the Bronx seems too cheap to pass up.

WingsBelieve84 said:
Any thoughts?
Pros:
good cheap housing
nice gym
good reputation
pass/fail so students more relaxed

Cons:
Some ppl don't like Bronx
Everything clsoed friday nights and saturdays
I think anatomy labs aren't that nice

zurned said:
Pros:
good cheap housing
nice gym
good reputation

Cons:
Biggest con for me is the cost. Also, AECOM will not consider non-trads over age 30 independent for institutional aid. :thumbdown:

Biggest pro for me is the program itself. I like the interdisciplinary nature of the school, international opportunities, lots of interesting students from all over the US and the world, good research opportunities, really nice students.

I agree with Q's pro. As far as the "nice gym," though, that actually made me laugh. I do think they're buliding a better one. The current one is tiny, and you have to sign up for treadmill time (this happened to me the summer I was there). I just compare it to the gyms I've seen at some schools, like MUSC, and it almost makes me cry :p

(For me, everything being closed on Friday nights and Saturdays is actually a big pro. The school is closed for the major Jewish holidays, so I wouldn't have to worry about testing conflicts and things like that. Thankfully that isn't a big problem elsewhere, though.)

One good thing about the anatomy labs is they're the only ones I know that have windows in them. They aren't in the basement, like at most schools. I think windows make a huge difference. But yeah, they are in an older building.

Another pro for me is the strength of their EM program. It may not matter significantly for a med student, but I'd get to rotate through a very strong program, and get LORs from people there. But who knows, maybe in a few years I'll change my mind and go into dermatology :p

Q, I actually think it's weird that schools won't consider married students independent for financial aid. I was talking to one school about this yesterday. Her explanation about students in general made sense -- they have to be able to determine need somehow, and incoming students mostly won't have incomes, so they use parental info to get an idea of need level. Okay, fine. But that doesn't hold true for married students, who really truly are financially independent, or "older" students, who generally are, as well. And I'm sure some of the more traditional students are, but it's the minority. The woman told me that they will accept a letter explaining your situation and then take it into consideration, if you don't put parental info, but of course I don't have anything better to say than "look, I'm married and independent."

Of course, the truth is, my parents CAN help us out a bit with cost of living. I hate to ask, and I hate to be in debt to them, but they can do it. So I'm sure I am better off than other students with financial need. I just have to console myself with the thought that the money will go to a needier person, I guess.

I can't speak for the married issue, but the age issue is definitely school-dependent. Several schools do consider non-trads over age 30 to be independent for institutional aid, which I think is a fair compromise. I mean, I've been supporting myself for a decade now. My father will be 70 years old next year, and although he is still working now, he will almost certainly retire while I'm in school. So he won't be able to afford to put me through medical school even if he wanted to do it unless he was willing to forgo his own retirement in order to help me. That's why it is frustrating sometimes that not all schools are as realistic about this issue as they could be.

I'm from the Midwest, and I've always wanted to experience New York. I know Einstein is not in Manhattan, but looking at the match list, MANY people stay in NYC for their residency. So this looks like a minimum 10 year decision. That's a big deal. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

just in case you're interested in some feedback from a current AECOM student...

zurned said:
Pros:
good cheap housing
nice gym
good reputation

all true. housing is great... and another pro to mention is that its super easy to keep a car on campus. you can park on the street, in the very affordable indoor lot (there's a waitlist, but most people get spots pretty quickly), or in the even more affordable outdoor lot. this makes getting around even easier. the gym's not great, but we're working on getting some updates to it -- the pool is nice though :) and there are classes too... (yoga, pilates, etc.) for only $2 each. now THAT is a deal. as for the pass fail, i'd advice everyone to HEAVILY consider this... it definitely makes things less competitive. in fact, before exams, students start sending out their study materials (charts, notes, outlines, etc.) to each other so that we're all on equal footing. everybody wants everybody else to do well.

zurned said:
Cons:

yeah. these are all things you just deal with. the bronx is not a bad place at all... we're very safe, so don't even bother trying to convince each other that the bronx is a scary place. also, the patient population here... you see everything. you learn everything. it's great. AND, people do go into the city. all the time in fact. so, yes, you're in teh bronx, but you're 1/2 hour subway ride from manhattan, which is really not bad, when you consider what you're saving yourself by not living in manhattan. also, sometimes it's a good thing to be a little more isolated... especially when it comes to exam time. also, not everything is closed fridays and saturdays. yes, the library is closed, but many people don't really study in the library all that much. with an AECOM ID you have access to the library at fordham university (very close by, in the bronx) which is fantastic. also, all of the rooms in belfer are open 24 hours, and a lot of people take advantage of those to study. as for anatomy labs, we're just wrapping up anatomy now, and i think our labs are really really good. they're bright, the ventilation is OK, and more than anything, they have windows! it's really way better than most places. anatomy is anatomy. no matter how nice the room you're in, it's still anatomy. and are you really going to pick a school based on the location of one class that you'll take for 5 months your first year? come on.

anyway - congrats all, and einstein is great!

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, yeah, you can park on the street. Then again, we used to have hubcaps before my husband (then my boyfriend) parked on the street for an hour or so at night when I was doing summer research there :laugh:

tigress said:
lol, yeah, you can park on the street. Then again, we used to have hubcaps before my husband (then my boyfriend) parked on the street for an hour or so at night when I was doing summer research there :laugh:
hey, i parked on the street every day (and night) for about 3 months before i got my parking spot. never had a problem. but it's new york, what do you want? $#!& happens sometimes.

zurned said:

an "uncle albert" (or aunt alberta) is a first year the admissions office puts you in contact with, who can answer your questions, and help you out with stuff, visits to the school, whatever. just like a big brother/big sister.

I'm from California and I'm thinking about going to AECOM next year. I would love to live in New York for a few years, but I'd like to go back to California for my residency. I've been looking at the match lists though, and it seems like almost everyone matches in NY (even though a good amount of students come from california). Why is that?

Hey Hero, I saw your posts on the premed forum. Like I said, I'm also considering Einstein. I think the matchlist is interesting too... However, keep in mind how many people are originally from NY and from Ca- A LOT. So my guess is those that match in Cali might originally be from Cali. Are you just curious what life in NYC would be like? I am.

Yeah, I'm definitely curious what life would be like in New York (besides the weather...I'm sure that's gonna take some getting used to). From all that I've heard, I would love to go to AECOM, although I keep on looking at that match list. Sorry to get hung up on this but the numbers don't seem to work out for me. If such a large percentage of AECOM students come from California, than why don't more students match in California, or other states for that matter. It just seems like you're almost locked into NY for your residency (esp. in terms of more competitive residency spots like Ortho. and Rad. Onc.). Like you said, it does seem like a 10 year commitment...Is it like this?

I haven't gotten a really good answer to this question- there seems to be a lot of speculation... Of course, AE's reputation is gonna be good in NYC- probably helping out with residencies. You meet NYC doctors who will be evaluating you for resident apps, so thats another "in". Those are the two main professional reasons I can think of. On the personal side, like I said, people have family there, maybe you meet a significant other over there and it weighs on your mind, maybe you just really like NYC. Frankly, I'm not sure. As for a lack of other states, I'm from the Midwest and when I asked for the Uncle Albert, the closest state she could give me was UTAH!!! So people might not be going out to the midwest because they aren't from here anyways. Ok, enough of my rant.

WingsBelieve84 said:
As for a lack of other states, I'm from the Midwest and when I asked for the Uncle Albert, the closest state she could give me was UTAH!!! So people might not be going out to the midwest because they aren't from here anyways. Ok, enough of my rant.

haha i know how u feel. i'm from CA and when i asked for an uncle/aunt albert/a from CA, they gave me someone from boston. so.... yea.... but she was really helpful! :laugh:

anyone in south florida want to meet up and share our impressions of the school?

QofQuimica said:
Hi, fellow Floridian here. :) LOL about your profile comment. I don't understand what makes your profile so Jewish either. :laugh:

it didnt actually bother me since not only am i jewish, i'm israel also!

anyways, i'm kind of bumed there is no 2nd look weekend. i would have liked to get a longer exposure to the school and potential classmates.

kasha said:
it didnt actually bother me since not only am i jewish, i'm israel also!

anyways, i'm kind of bumed there is no 2nd look weekend. i would have liked to get a longer exposure to the school and potential classmates.
Hmm, I didn't realize AECOM doesn't have a second look. I'm sure you could go visit on your own if you wanted, but it's not the same because there won't be any future classmates there....

I am also Jewish, but not Israeli. :)

I was really bummed about 2nd look too. It would be nice to meet some potential future classmates. But I decided to come in again next weekend. I have no idea what I'm going to do, although I think one night is a skit night or something. So i suppose you could always come back and take a look, although really, now, you'll get 48 hours exposure rather than 24- can you really know if this is the school for you then???

yeh, i think i'm gonna have another look soon also.

i know orientation starts on the 20th but does anyone know when people normally move in? i woudl imagine that it takes more than a day to set up an apartment.

kasha said:
yeh, i think i'm gonna have another look soon also.

i know orientation starts on the 20th but does anyone know when people normally move in? i woudl imagine that it takes more than a day to set up an apartment.

Have you or anyone else gotten the packet about housing in the mail yet?

Constellation said:
Have you or anyone else gotten the packet about housing in the mail yet?
nope, and also, wut about financial aid info?

zurned said:
nope, and also, wut about financial aid info?

Got that in a big envelope last week I believe, or it may have been the week before that.

Hi guys...Does anyone know if einstein offers scholarships as well? If so, has anyone recieved any info about it? I just got the financial aid stuff last week too, and the health forms. I feel like I'm going to be in the doctor's office forever with the amount of tests we have to get! :)

ivoriesdsc said:
Hi guys...Does anyone know if einstein offers scholarships as well? If so, has anyone recieved any info about it? I just got the financial aid stuff last week too, and the health forms. I feel like I'm going to be in the doctor's office forever with the amount of tests we have to get! :)

i was invited to apply for a merit-based scholarship back in feb when i was admitted. it came with my acceptance.

ivoriesdsc said:
Same as what kasha said. Apparently they invite people to apply.

QofQuimica said:
Same as what kasha said. Apparently they invite people to apply.

any idea what the chances of receiving a grant once you apply?

i dont understand something. if einstein only offers up to 5000 in grants and the budget is 55k than how is the average debt around 100k?

is this because parents are paying for their kids' degree? so does this mean that students without any EFC basically end up owing 200k?

kasha said:
i dont understand something. if einstein only offers up to 5000 in grants and the budget is 55k than how is the average debt around 100k?

is this because parents are paying for their kids' degree? so does this mean that students without any EFC basically end up owing 200k?
I never heard that they only offer up to $5000 in need-based grants; are you sure that's correct? Because it seems awfully low. :confused:

Hmm, well, I think that all international students have to prove they have enough cash to cover tuition for all four years; they are not eligible for gov. loans. Some people do have money to pay for med school, or their parents do. Some people get merit money.

QofQuimica said:
I never heard that they only offer up to $5000 in need-based grants; are you sure that's correct? Because it seems awfully low. :confused:

Hmm, well, I think that all international students have to prove they have enough cash to cover tuition for all four years; they are not eligible for gov. loans. Some people do have money to pay for med school, or their parents do. Some people get merit money.

are we the only members of the class of 2010?!?!?!?

no one else seems to be posting...

kasha said:
are we the only members of the class of 2010?!?!?!?

no one else seems to be posting...
:laugh: No, I am sure there are many lurkers reading this and not posting. Come on out, you guys; it's not fair for you to read what kasha and I say but not post yourselves!

QofQuimica said:
:laugh: No, I am sure there are many lurkers reading this and not posting. Come on out, you guys; it's not fair for you to read what kasha and I say but not post yourselves!

yeh!

where's your school pride?

I'm with ya both!!! At least I'm pretty shure I am. I'm still deciding between USC and AECOM, but this week I'm leaning towards Einstein. Something about living in NYC for a few years in really exciting. Yeah, I was wondering about that "$95,000." average indetedness on US News also. I talked to a recent graduate who said she was about 200k in debt, so I'm wondering what brings the average down? hmm....

thehero5000 said:
I'm with ya both!!! At least I'm pretty shure I am. I'm still deciding between USC and AECOM, but this week I'm leaning towards Einstein. Something about living in NYC for a few years in really exciting. Yeah, I was wondering about that "$95,000." average indetedness on US News also. I talked to a recent graduate who said she was about 200k in debt, so I'm wondering what brings the average down? hmm....
Does AECOM have an MSTP? If there are a lot of MD/PhD students, those guys come out with zero debt, so that will skew the results.

i know last year there was a 2nd look dinner. i wonder if they will repeat...

I just recieved a FAFSA worksheet and a CSS form from AECOM. I filled out my fafsa a month ago, why are they still sending me a FAFSA worksheet?

Also, the attached letters says that we can get 34,440 and 8,500 from unsubsidized and subsidized stafford loans, a max of 3000 from the scholarship fund, and another 7000 from the Einstein College Loan fund. That means that of the total 54k needed for a first year student, they only give you 3000 to help you out??? Is there something I'm missing here b/c that sounds awfully crappy.

Just found this thread. I have been pretty narrow minded in my SDN participation and have just started to venture out and explore the other forums. I am 100% definitely going to AECOM (I've already bought a sweatshirt so I can't go back now), but I agree that the aid packages are pretty slim. I have an EFC of 0 but the way it is sounding I am telling myself not to expect anything and to go it all on loans, but hopefully I will be wrong. I also just posted a new thread in the Pre-Med topic area about housing info, so if anyone has received info or heard when we should let me know.

zurned said:
I just recieved a FAFSA worksheet and a CSS form from AECOM. I filled out my fafsa a month ago, why are they still sending me a FAFSA worksheet?

Also, the attached letters says that we can get 34,440 and 8,500 from unsubsidized and subsidized stafford loans, a max of 3000 from the scholarship fund, and another 7000 from the Einstein College Loan fund. That means that of the total 54k needed for a first year student, they only give you 3000 to help you out??? Is there something I'm missing here b/c that sounds awfully crappy.
Yeah, one thing about AECOM is that it definitely isn't cheap. :(

So is everyone on here def. going to AECOM or are you still trying to make the decision?

wildcatbio06 said:
So is everyone on here def. going to AECOM or are you still trying to make the decision?

im definitely going! :) really excited and cant wait. i really want to go a lil early to take the class that they offer before school starts but unfortunately i have to wait for my mom to get back from a business trip to help me move, so i won't be able to attend.

is everybody done with their health forms? i only got one TB test done and my doctor told me i should wait til june to get my 2nd one. do you think its ok if I send in everything else right now without the 2nd one and then just forward the results of the 2nd one after i get it in june.. or should i just send everything in june? :confused:

xTiggerx said:
do you think its ok if I send in everything else right now without the 2nd one and then just forward the results of the 2nd one after i get it in june.. or should i just send everything in june? :confused:

I am fairly certain that you don't have to get a second TB test unless you didn't pass the first, but I would go ahead and send it.