AECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
themach said:
Hey fellow aecomers - just curious... any international students going to Einstein next year?

legally i'm not international but i culturally i am.

grew up in israel

Members don't see this ad.

kasha said:
actually the 2006 budget is up on the website as of yesterday.

i was actually thinking of coming up for a few days to have a 2nd look...

When are you thinking of going? Do you want to meet up?? Saturday or Sunday (May 27 or 28) would be best for me!

inocchi said:
When are you thinking of going? Do you want to meet up?? Saturday or Sunday (May 27 or 28) would be best for me!

have checked out the airline prices? way too expensive for me. i dont think i'm going to be able to make it. i will be coming to the biochem course though.

where are you from?live?

Members don't see this ad :)
from nyc, going to einstein...actually from northern jerzee, im up in ithaca right now

kasha said:
have checked out the airline prices? way too expensive for me. i dont think i'm going to be able to make it. i will be coming to the biochem course though.

where are you from?live?

I'm from NY. I live in Philly right now, so I'm close by. That's too bad! I would have liked to meet you :(

how much are the tickets? are they really that expensive? where are you flying from? I want to do the Biochem course too. Did you get the forms for that yet? I haven't....

I live in Utah and am coming out to Einstein in the fall. I got the forms for the Biochem course. I am really excited to get moving. It is going to be really fun.

right now i'm finishing my teaching job in south florida and will be head down to gautemala and honduras for 2 months to travel and learn some more spanish.

i got the biochem packet on friday and will definitely be going to that.

Hey y'all,

For those who are wondering what the deal is with the housing info/application, I just talked to someone from that department. Apparently, the coordinator who is in charge of all that stuff is on vacation until Friday and according to the lady I spoke to, she (the coordinator on vacation) is the only lady who can definitively answer questions about the housing mailings.

But the person I spoke to answered a bunch of questions for me. She said that first of all, they had to make some changes on the forms so that's why the info is being sent out to us later than usual (they say late April is the usual send-out time frame), and on top of that, because students are graduating, everything else kinda gets put on the shelf. That's why we haven't received anything yet, although perhaps we'll get it this week if that stuff was sent out last week.

Anyway, housing for med students is guaranteed for sure, but first years HAVE to share unless they're married or have a family. The apartments are unfurnished and come with only a fridge and stove. They do make some effort to match similar lifestyles by providing a questionaire you can fill out. And unlike most schools where you're given only a designated time to move in, you can move in whenever your room/apt is ready.

Hopefully we get our paperwork soon!

sparkle_ said:
Hey y'all,

For those who are wondering what the deal is with the housing info/application, I just talked to someone from that department. Apparently, the coordinator who is in charge of all that stuff is on vacation until Friday and according to the lady I spoke to, she (the coordinator on vacation) is the only lady who can definitively answer questions about the housing mailings.

But the person I spoke to answered a bunch of questions for me. She said that first of all, they had to make some changes on the forms so that's why the info is being sent out to us later than usual (they say late April is the usual send-out time frame), and on top of that, because students are graduating, everything else kinda gets put on the shelf. That's why we haven't received anything yet, although perhaps we'll get it this week if that stuff was sent out last week.

Anyway, housing for med students is guaranteed for sure, but first years HAVE to share unless they're married or have a family. The apartments are unfurnished and come with only a fridge and stove. They do make some effort to match similar lifestyles by providing a questionaire you can fill out. And unlike most schools where you're given only a designated time to move in, you can move in whenever your room/apt is ready.

Hopefully we get our paperwork soon!
Thanks for the infor sparkle! Anyone else looking forward to decorating / furnishing their room?

Okay, I was all excited about Einstein, but just now I got into NYU off the waitlist. Now I need help deciding! Any advice? Were any of you deciding between NYU and Einstein?

NYMed said:
Okay, I was all excited about Einstein, but just now I got into NYU off the waitlist. Now I need help deciding! Any advice? Were any of you deciding between NYU and Einstein?

the questions i would ask:

where did you feel better?

financial aid?

other than that they are both good schools. personally iw ould go with the money.

zero2hero said:
Thanks for the infor sparkle! Anyone else looking forward to decorating / furnishing their room?

Definitely! We can paint the place however we like, which is great. It'll be my first time living on the East coast so I want to make my place as cozy as possible....

Hey fellow classmates, I received my stafford promissory notes from AE today. They offered me $8,500 in subsidized stafford loans and $10,000 in unsubsidized stafford loans under the FFELP program. Then at the end of the memo, it says that further funding can be applied for after registration.

Do you know what's the maximum amount of unsubsidized stafford loans I can borrow under the FFELP program? And does anyone know what exactly is the "further funding?" I don't know if I want to wait till after registration to figure out the rest of my budget.

Any info or insight into AE financial aid would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's the love AECOMers?! The AECOM forum only has 5 pages of posts, while other (less awesome) schools have over 10 pages. We need more postings and introductions so we can meet our future classmates! :love:

Long time, first time. I'm definitely excited to be heading to AECOM this summer. Can't wait!! :D Where are you all from?

wwdjd? said:
Long time, first time. I'm definitely excited to be heading to AECOM this summer. Can't wait!! :D Where are you all from?
From New York City (Queens). Seems like alot of people on this thread are from Cali. Lived in San Fran for a few years as a kid, great place.

wwdjd? said:

California... Bay Area to be exact! can't wait til summer to move in too! :) I hope everyone is getting just as excited as me ;)

I'm from Israel and came to the US for college after the army. I graduated last year and this year have been teaching Hebrew (big surprise ;)) at a Jewish day school in Boca raton, FL.

I am really excited about going to AECOM and in the spirit of introductions here's a little about myself: Male, 22 yo, From Northern California, attended a small state school, CSU, Chico, married, Looking forward to not having a car, heading to France for the summer, can't think of much else at the moment.

kasha said:
right now i'm finishing my teaching job in south florida and will be head down to gautemala and honduras for 2 months to travel and learn some more spanish.

i got the biochem packet on friday and will definitely be going to that.
I just got my acceptance email today! I'm from the Bay Area and am also heading to Guatemala and Honduras for a month this summer.

Sup everyone. I'm a 21 year old male who loves chillen in Manhattan. I was born August 5, 1984 in Einstein-Montefiore Hospital. I live in Bergen County NJ which is around 10-15 miles from Einstein..just over the George Washington Bridge in Northern JERSEY. I'm a lifelong New Yorker. Im graduating from Cornell in 4 days. So sad!

Can't wait to meet all of you. And yes, I will be attending the Biochem review.

Also, IM a HUGE YANKEE fan, so if any of you want to hit up a Bronx bomber game...I'M SOOOO down for that!!!!! ;)

beffers8888 said:
I just got my acceptance email today! I'm from the Bay Area and am also heading to Guatemala and Honduras for a month this summer.

that's EXACTLY where i'm headed!!

i'm leaving june 7th and plan to spend 4 weeks studying spanish in antigua and aybe around atitlan. then i was planning on heading over for a scuba diving course of utila in honduras for another few weeks.

what's your plan?

maybe we could meet up?

I from SoCal originally, but spent college and a few years afterward in NorCal. Now I'm in San Diego, but I'm looking forward to life in NY! I'm 28 and will be 29 in December...scary! I haven't determined what I'm doing for the summer. I know I'm going to work for a bit saving money for school, blah, blah, blah. My fiance (who's also going to be a M1 at AECOM! Yeah!) and I might be going to Costa Rica if we can manage it. When is everyone planning on moving in?

Whoops! Sorry for the overly effusive first post. Ambien makes me...friendly. Man, what a terrible first and second impression!

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi- Just got accepted today too! I'm from Nor Cal-- Graduated from UC Santa Barbara last year, worked in special education all this year and will this summer too, but I'm really hoping to squeeze a trip to Central America somehow before starting school again. :D

Laur said:
Hey fellow classmates, I received my stafford promissory notes from AE today. They offered me $8,500 in subsidized stafford loans and $10,000 in unsubsidized stafford loans under the FFELP program. Then at the end of the memo, it says that further funding can be applied for after registration.

Do you know what's the maximum amount of unsubsidized stafford loans I can borrow under the FFELP program? And does anyone know what exactly is the "further funding?" I don't know if I want to wait till after registration to figure out the rest of my budget.

Any info or insight into AE financial aid would be greatly appreciated!!

anybody know anything about this? im kinda curious too...

for everyone moving across the country to go to AECOM, let's organize a day in NYC to go furniture shopping together! :clap:

xTiggerx said:
anybody know anything about this? im kinda curious too...

for everyone moving across the country to go to AECOM, let's organize a day in NYC to go furniture shopping together! :clap:

I read that the max for stafford sub is $8500, and unsub is $10,000. They use citibank as their lender, which is good because citibank pays the origination fees so you don't have to. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and ask about the further funding after registration thing. It doesn't make a lot of sense since they expect half of the tuition by August 1st. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out.

I'm flying into Guatemala City on June 20, probably going straight over to Utila for SCUBA and then back to explore around guatemala till July 20. 3 years ago I did my open water diving cert course at Utila Dive Center which is great (and hotel/certification fees are included in the price) so I'd recommend them although everywhere is probably similar. Are you travelling alone?

beffers8888 said:
I'm flying into Guatemala City on June 20, probably going straight over to Utila for SCUBA and then back to explore around guatemala till July 20. 3 years ago I did my open water diving cert course at Utila Dive Center which is great (and hotel/certification fees are included in the price) so I'd recommend them although everywhere is probably similar. Are you travelling alone?

5 years ago I spent 4 months in Peru, Bolivia and Columbia. I started alone but honestly there are so many tourists that I was never alone.

I'm starting June 7th in Guatemala and doing my PADI in Utila in July.

Why are you flying into Guatemala, going to Utila and the back to Guatemala?

caligirl333 said:
I read that the max for stafford sub is $8500, and unsub is $10,000. They use citibank as their lender, which is good because citibank pays the origination fees so you don't have to. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and ask about the further funding after registration thing. It doesn't make a lot of sense since they expect half of the tuition by August 1st. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out.

I read in the US news guide to med schools that the max unsub is 34k. I dunno y it says 10k on the form. I guess the other 24k is part of the loans u can apply for later?

zurned said:
I read in the US news guide to med schools that the max unsub is 34k. I dunno y it says 10k on the form. I guess the other 24k is part of the loans u can apply for later?
I talked to the financial aid office. They said that you apply for the $18500 in sub and unsub loans now. When they send a bill out during the summer you check a box that states you are applying for loans so you don't have to pay anything. When you get there in August there will be $18500 waiting for you. They sit down with you to determine the rest of your budget. If you need more money then you apply for the max $34500 stafford loan. If you need more on top of that, then you apply for additional funding that they will help you find. I hope this makes sense.

caligirl333 said:
I talked to the financial aid office. They said that you apply for the $18500 in sub and unsub loans now. When they send a bill out during the summer you check a box that states you are applying for loans so you don't have to pay anything. When you get there in August there will be $18500 waiting for you. They sit down with you to determine the rest of your budget. If you need more money then you apply for the max $34500 stafford loan. If you need more on top of that, then you apply for additional funding that they will help you find. I hope this makes sense.

Wow. that was extremely helpful! Thanks so much for calling and sharing the info! You are awesome :thumbup:

So I just go in off the waitlist yesterday. I was a little worried because the acceptance came in a small envelope.

Anyway, look forward to meeting everyone in the fall.

I'm headed to Mexico and Central America, hopefully for a big chunk of the summer.

kasha said:
5 years ago I spent 4 months in Peru, Bolivia and Columbia. I started alone but honestly there are so many tourists that I was never alone.

I'm starting June 7th in Guatemala and doing my PADI in Utila in July.

Why are you flying into Guatemala, going to Utila and the back to Guatemala?
I got off the UC Irvine waitlist yesterday so it looks like I wont be going to aecom after all. We decided to go to guatemala and after realizing that it's not really possible to scuba in guatemala decided that we could either go to belize or honduras. Belize is a lot more expensive than utila and I know that utila's awesome so that's where we'll go. I was also alone in central america 3 years ago and in Asia last year and I it's almost hard not to meet people.

Hello everyone - I've been spending my time lately looking online about all the financial aid stuff (and who to choose as a lender!), and just found this thread. I am also from the Bay Area (San Francisco, to be exact), and I'm so excited to be going to AECOM next year, as long as I can plan to wear my rainbows for a good portion of the winter w/o getting frostbite! If anyone in the area would like to meet up before we head out to school, I'm around and would love to meet up for coffee or drinks!

Also, I have way, way too much time at work and have been looking into financial aid stuff, and there are lots of changes going on right now because of a new bill passed by congress. Stafford loan rates are going to be 6.8% fixed as of July 2006, and you can borrow $8.5K subsidized and $34.5K unsubsidized. The actual amount you get depends on your FAFSA EFC and how much the school wants to give you. If you need loans above and beyond that, you can either take out a private loan, or starting in July (I've yet to get a firm answer from the financial aid dept. about whether they are participating, but it seems like the answer is "yes") grad PLUS loans are available to graduate students at a fixed rate of 8.5%. http://www.northstar.org/GradPlus/Details.aspx. That's all I've got so far - anyone correct any of this if I'm wrong, please!

megflan4 said:
Hello everyone - I've been spending my time lately looking online about all the financial aid stuff (and who to choose as a lender!), and just found this thread. I am also from the Bay Area (San Francisco, to be exact), and I'm so excited to be going to AECOM next year, as long as I can plan to wear my rainbows for a good portion of the winter w/o getting frostbite! If anyone in the area would like to meet up before we head out to school, I'm around and would love to meet up for coffee or drinks!

Also, I have way, way too much time at work and have been looking into financial aid stuff, and there are lots of changes going on right now because of a new bill passed by congress. Stafford loan rates are going to be 6.8% fixed as of July 2006, and you can borrow $8.5K subsidized and $34.5K unsubsidized. The actual amount you get depends on your FAFSA EFC and how much the school wants to give you. If you need loans above and beyond that, you can either take out a private loan, or starting in July (I've yet to get a firm answer from the financial aid dept. about whether they are participating, but it seems like the answer is "yes") grad PLUS loans are available to graduate students at a fixed rate of 8.5%. http://www.northstar.org/GradPlus/Details.aspx. That's all I've got so far - anyone correct any of this if I'm wrong, please!

Hey! I'm in that area too! Maybe we can meet up before we move over to NYC. That would be cool :) Are you planning to take the biochem class? I already signed up for it cuz I wanted to go early and settle in...

xTiggerx said:
Hey! I'm in that area too! Maybe we can meet up before we move over to NYC. That would be cool :) Are you planning to take the biochem class? I already signed up for it cuz I wanted to go early and settle in...

Yeah, my uncle albert told me he didn't do the class and wished he had so he could have gotten settled in early. I'm not looking forward to the exams though!

Would love to meet up before we leave for NY!

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

I just recieved the housing applications. It says apartments are UNFURNISHED. I think its time to go furniture shopping.

zurned said:
I just recieved the housing applications. It says apartments are UNFURNISHED. I think its time to go furniture shopping.

What other things are on the housing application? Also, where do you live? I'm in Cali and haven't gotten any of the housing info yet. Thanks!

Constellation said:
What other things are on the housing application? Also, where do you live? I'm in Cali and haven't gotten any of the housing info yet. Thanks!

I'm from NYC. The apps come with a floor plan and just a couple of forms and a brochure. Pretty basic.

caligirl333 said:

Based on the forms we got it seems like we dont have choice of the lender. I wonder why that is.

kasha said:
Based on the forms we got it seems like we dont have choice of the lender. I wonder why that is.

Because it's easier for them to fill something in and not have students calling asking who to put as lender. But you can cross it out and put the lender information that you want in there.

Also, did anyone else get the housing application? My mom was reading it to me over the phone and she's convinced that we are actually going to be sharing bedrooms, as opposed to having your own bedroom in a multiple-bedroom apartment? Did anyone else get that picture? It's possible that my mom was not reading the forms correctly...or at least that's what I'm praying!

megflan4 said:
Because it's easier for them to fill something in and not have students calling asking who to put as lender. But you can cross it out and put the lender information that you want in there.

Also, did anyone else get the housing application? My mom was reading it to me over the phone and she's convinced that we are actually going to be sharing bedrooms, as opposed to having your own bedroom in a multiple-bedroom apartment? Did anyone else get that picture? It's possible that my mom was not reading the forms correctly...or at least that's what I'm praying!

I seem to remember that 2 people may have shared a 1 bedroom and 3 people shared a 2 bedroom in one of the rooms I looked at during my interview. The extra person was in the living room. The website neither confirms or denys this; can anyone?

I'm in SF and would be interested in meeting up with any locals before heading to NY.

Cheers, nick

from the website: "The Eastchester Road Residence consists of three 27-story towers, with 634 air-conditioned apartments, a large underground garage, and an extensive landscaped sitting/playing area. The monthly rent, which includes all utilities, is about $449 for a studio, $627 for a one-bedroom, and $806 for two-bedroom apartments. With two or three students sharing a one-or two-bedroom apartment, the monthly cost is significantly reduced, averaging about $250 per student. An active list of students seeking roommates is available."

megflan4 said:

When I talked to the housing department the message was pretty clear that you have to share the apartment somehow. So if you like your roomies then sharing the bedroom may be the solution, but if not then you might be turning the living room into a bedroom.

megflan4 said:

Out of curiosity did you find a better lender?

caligirl333 said:
megflan4 said:

Out of curiosity did you find a better lender?

T.H.E. seems to be the best by far. Just the fact that they are noo-profit is already suggestive.

kasha said:
caligirl333 said:
T.H.E. seems to be the best by far. Just the fact that they are noo-profit is already suggestive.

I agree, THE seems like its the best I've found so far. They give you back "up to" 1.3% per year in repayment, and while it does stop if you aren't making on time payments, they start it back up when you begin making payments again. Plus, I've called them a bunch of times, and every time I got a real person on the phone, who speaks English, and walked me through all my questions - multiple times!!

My "uncle albert" basically confirmed what you just said caligirl - I guess most people just use the livign room as the extra room. They seem like pretty good sized rooms, so that is great!

Thanks for all the fin aid info everyone! I think I may shop around for loans if fed staf is going to be fixed at 6.8%.

Anyways, I'm from San Francisco too!! Good to know that there's going to be a couple of us at AE. Would be great to meet some of you.

If anyone wants to meet up, i live 5 min outside manhattan with a car. I just graduated from Cornell on Sunday. I know of some cool bars in the village near sojo