AECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
maver1ck84 said:
If anyone wants to meet up, i live 5 min outside manhattan with a car. I just graduated from Cornell on Sunday. I know of some cool bars in the village near sojo

I'd be up for meeting up. I am flying in to NY next Thursday for a 2nd look.

Anyone want to join me?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just checking the academic calendar. Did they just get rid of all the holidays that are in october? I remember seeing tons of off days the last time i checked.

What are you guys doing about furniture? Buying new stuff? Bringing stuff from home? Also, are you going to go furniture shopping on the first day you move in? Or come with a bed? Or sleep in a sleeping bag until you figure out furniture?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMed said:
What are you guys doing about furniture? Buying new stuff? Bringing stuff from home? Also, are you going to go furniture shopping on the first day you move in? Or come with a bed? Or sleep in a sleeping bag until you figure out furniture?

Haha, soo many questions! Well I was thinking the same thing but I'm actually in California, so I was wondering what all the other Californians were doing? Any suggestions? I'm not going to bring my car so I can't really bring any of my furniture with me (a total waste of my bed and desk that I've been using for college) so I guess I have to buy everything new. I was wondering if it would be better to buy online and have them ship over to NY or if I should just wait and go with a few other classmates to buy furniture together... anyone in the same boat? actually, anyone want to schedule a furniture buying SPREE???

Has everyone recieved the housing packet? I haven't yet (100 miles north of NYC) and I'm thinking it got sent to my school address by mistake.

yeah man, i think it's a safe assumption that they didn't mail it to your home address

does anyone know the closest law school to aecom/bronx area?

thanks

xTiggerx said:
Haha, soo many questions! Well I was thinking the same thing but I'm actually in California, so I was wondering what all the other Californians were doing? Any suggestions? I'm not going to bring my car so I can't really bring any of my furniture with me (a total waste of my bed and desk that I've been using for college) so I guess I have to buy everything new. I was wondering if it would be better to buy online and have them ship over to NY or if I should just wait and go with a few other classmates to buy furniture together... anyone in the same boat? actually, anyone want to schedule a furniture buying SPREE???

I am planning on renting a u-haul type truck and going the day after I get there and buying everything from Ikea in Paramus, NJ. Don´t know who well it will work but that is the plan.

xTiggerx said:

I'm actually in the same boat myself. I live in Northern CA and I am not bringing my car either and all of my stuff will have to stay here in Cali. So I guess I have to purchase some things when I get there and do without a car for awhile. I don't if I should buy things online or actually go to the store. In the meantime until I can get my stuff, I'm going to get me an aerobed to sleep on until my room is furnished. Speaking of rooms, has anyone heard from the housing office regarding when you can start moving in to the room. I'm not going to attend the summer BioChem class so i was wondering if anyone knew how soon they would allow us (us meaning those who aren't taking the course) to move in.

Fordham Law School Is The Closest

YAY! I got in today!...So...I have a month get come up with 80000USD (i'm Canadian)...and then I'll see you all in August!!

isn't living in a small place... having to share rooms... stressful? how are we suppose to study?

The places are actually pretty nice. It's basically an aptartment building, not a dorm. So this means you have a good amount of space, and it's not so noisy. Some people also go to nearby Fordham University library to study. As for room sharing, you only share the apartment, you each have separate rooms, so it's not like you have an actual roommate, just an apartment mate.

Members don't see this ad :)
wildcatbio06 said:
I am planning on renting a u-haul type truck and going the day after I get there and buying everything from Ikea in Paramus, NJ. Don´t know who well it will work but that is the plan.

I know there is also a Home Depot in the area, so you might be able to get some stuff there instead of driving all the way to Paramus.

is there wireless in the apartment? is there a way to use internet in the apartment?

hippocampus said:
is there wireless in the apartment? is there a way to use internet in the apartment?

when i stayed there for my interview, i used their wireless network on my laptop...and there were several networks (eg. from different wireless routers)

hippocampus said:

There's no apartment-wide wireless network, however the medical school does provide you with ethernet in your apartment. So you would have to set up your own wireless router, but it's not too hard.

Does anyone know what time you get out of class first year? I don't remember if it is 8-12 schedule.

i know this was posted a long time ago... but...

inocchi said:
Do you guys see yourself being happy at Einstein, despite the lack of surrounding coffee shops, restaurants, etc. (I really like living in a city where there is lots of get-away places)
this is true... but at least now we do have one coffee place. it's not great, but it's there. also, if you have a car, which you can keep in the einstein lot for the very low rate of about $75 a month (way less than you'd pay anywhere else in NY), you can definitely get away from campus, and many people do.

inocchi said:
the non-existent library (I can NEVER study at home -- i get too distracted),

our library rocks. i mean, it's not the best, but it works for us. if you want a bigger/better library, go to fordham to study. it's nearby, you can drive or take the bus, and a lot of people go there.

inocchi said:
and the dormitory style living

i really don't like it when people call our housing dorms. they are apartments. married people live in them. couples with kids live in them. apartments are split between people, but they are not dorms. in fact, the housing you get at einstein is some of the best around. if you want dorms, columbia and cornell will be happy to put you on a floor of people where you have to share a hall bathroom. not einstein. :)

oh, and for you guys concerned about financial aid... check out this video, made for this year's skit night. you'll be having a lot of interactions with lloyd greenberg... this is the tribute film we made, about paying for med school :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8523165679839636589

AND...
if you want to see how much fun you'll have during your first year at einstein, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIsRbTbHRvk

(also at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=461077814281605677)

Has anyone heard anything from the housing office lately? I sent back my housing stuff as soon as I got it and I know the check cleared already. I'd just like to know so I can book my one way plane ticket to New York.

Called the Housing office and the nice woman (you never know who reads these) told me that they are placing people in apartments, and as the current tenets leave and hand in their keys she is notifying the placed students that they can now move in.

wildcatbio06 said:
Called the Housing office and the nice woman (you never know who reads these) told me that they are placing people in apartments, and as the current tenets leave and hand in their keys she is notifying the placed students that they can now move in.

Hey everybody,

I called the Housing office today as well and spoke with the cooridinator. Since I'm from California, I needed to know about when they were letting people into the apartments (I'm gonna take biochem) so I can book my ticket, and the lady said that she hasn't finished assigning people yet, but they will try to have something for everybody.. she's thinking July 20th as the general day that we'll be able to move in by. Also, if you plan to fly in on a weekend, she said we'll be able to pick up our keys then, too.

Oh, and she also said she will try to send out assignments, HOPEFULLY, by this week but they'll be off for 7/3 and 7/4, so it might take a little longer.

You rock Tigger. I've called a few times and haven't been able to get that kind of detailed info. Thanks for the post.

wildcatbio06 said:
You rock Tigger. I've called a few times and haven't been able to get that kind of detailed info. Thanks for the post.

No prob! Glad to help somebody else! I just wish they would give us answers sooner! But, its all goooooood. :) When are you planning to move out to the Bronx? Are you going to take biochem?

xTiggerx said:
No prob! Glad to help somebody else! I just wish they would give us answers sooner! But, its all goooooood. :) When are you planning to move out to the Bronx? Are you going to take biochem?

As soon as possible and yes, I'm planning on taking the course. Where are you flying from in California? I'll be leaving from Sacramento.

Hey guys, I moved in to AECOM!!! For all those worrying about the apts. here not being so nice, don't worry. This place is very nice, and it doesn't feel like a dorm at all. Families live here. Let me know when any of you guys are moving in, and I'll come help move furniture (for a beer...). ;) Hope to see you all soon...

-Ian

wildcatbio06 said:
As soon as possible and yes, I'm planning on taking the course. Where are you flying from in California? I'll be leaving from Sacramento.

I'm in Davis now, but after I clear out my apartment, I'm moving back to SF with my mom so we can fly from SFO together at the end of July.

protosv said:
Hey guys, I moved in to AECOM!!! For all those worrying about the apts. here not being so nice, don't worry. This place is very nice, and it doesn't feel like a dorm at all. Families live here. Let me know when any of you guys are moving in, and I'll come help move furniture (for a beer...). ;) Hope to see you all soon...

-Ian

Thanks Ian! Maybe I will employ your services when I get to AECOM... I might not have beer though.. how bout some soda? ;)

xTiggerx said:
Thanks Ian! Maybe I will employ your services when I get to AECOM... I might not have beer though.. how bout some soda? ;)

Works for me! Just let me know what day you're moving in, and I'll try to come help.

-Ian

Just got assigned an apartment today and got 2 roommates... Kind of scary but I'm soooooo excited ! :thumbup:

xTiggerx said:
Just got assigned an apartment today and got 2 roommates... Kind of scary but I'm soooooo excited ! :thumbup:
When did you send in your forms?

zero2hero said:
When did you send in your forms?

Turned it in about a couple days after I got the forms, maybe end of May or beginning of June. Not exactly sure of the date.

Does anyone know if we need to call and get the electricity, cable, etc. set up before we move in or if it's already set up for us when we get there?

wildcatbio06 said:
Does anyone know if we need to call and get the electricity, cable, etc. set up before we move in or if it's already set up for us when we get there?

electricity is already taken care of - don't need to do any work there, but for cable, you have to call cablevision or go online to get an account.

can someone explain to me about how students can make a one bedroom into a small two-bedroom? I remember some students saying how they used a contractor to build a wall and made their living room smaller and what not...

please explain...

UCdannyLA said:
can someone explain to me about how students can make a one bedroom into a small two-bedroom? I remember some students saying how they used a contractor to build a wall and made their living room smaller and what not...

please explain...

without the extra wall built, the apartment is a big one-bedroom. you would basically walk into the living room and the bedroom would be down the hall to your right, past the kitchen. with the wall, the living room is converted into the second bedroom, and the leftover space is your "living room" which in a converted one-bedroom basically equals an entryway or foyer area. the placement of that wall determines how big a bedroom you get, as compared to the size of the entry area. smaller bedroom = bigger entry area, bigger bedroom = smaller entry area. the converted 2 bedrooms have a big enough living room that even with the wall built to creat a 3rd bedroom, there's still space for a good-sized living room.

hope that makes sense. you might be able to find floor plans on einstein's website, in whichever part describes the computer hookups.

Hey there,

Do we need to bring an ethernet cable for internet, or are those provided at the housing? Thanks!

just wondering, who here has actual gotten their housing assignments?

I have a question (sorry if I sound totally confused, but it's because I am!)

In memoradums and mail from Mr. Lloyd Greenberg, he keeps talking about $10,000 in Federal Unsubsidized Loans...I thought we could take out up to $34,400?

UCdannyLA said:
I have a question (sorry if I sound totally confused, but it's because I am!)

In memoradums and mail from Mr. Lloyd Greenberg, he keeps talking about $10,000 in Federal Unsubsidized Loans...I thought we could take out up to $34,400?

I called them up about this and they told me that you only apply for 10k unsubsidized and 8500 subsidized for now. When the semester starts, you can apply for the rest if you need, which most of us probably need.

are the housing assignments emailed or mailed out to us?

WingsBelieve84 said:
Hey there,

Do we need to bring an ethernet cable for internet, or are those provided at the housing? Thanks!

The first day of orientation, they give you a free ethernet cable, but if you move in for the biochem course, you'll have to supply your own. Also, make sure to bring a lamp/light for your room, the rooms don't have lighting, just wall sockets (I realized this rather abruptly when night fell, my first night on campus!)

Also, for those who are in the area, there is a Happy Hour this Thursday. It's going to be at Mad River Bar and Grille (upper east side, google it for directions)...FREE beer 7-9 with a min. $5 donation at the door, $8 bucket of wings, Ladies $1 drinks 10-12.

Hope to see you there :)
Annie

Whats up guys? I know health insurance is included in our tuition bill, but anybody know how we can get it excluded? I already have health insurance! Any ideas on who to speak with? Anybody in the same dilemma?

WingsBelieve84 said:
Whats up guys? I know health insurance is included in our tuition bill, but anybody know how we can get it excluded? I already have health insurance! Any ideas on who to speak with? Anybody in the same dilemma?

I've already asked Greenberg and he said you can't get out of it (= can't save the $ :()

Does anyone know if we can access our class schedule online?? Or do we have to wait until orientation.

Laur said:
Does anyone know if we can access our class schedule online?? Or do we have to wait until orientation.

If you go to aecommunity.com and click the Cobweb in the upper right hand corner it will take you to an overview of all four years. Roll your mouse over the year one link and a list of links will show up. Toward the bottom there will be a calendar link, click on it and jump forward to the start of school and it will have our shedule of orientation and classes. That should work, but let me know if you have trouble getting there.

So I just received the letter for the biochem class that lists the texts we'll need. Does anyone know if we need all of these books? I know we'll use these later on in the main courses as well, but :eek: anybody know or heard which ones are good/get used the most? I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a book that will just sit on my shelf :p Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are any pianos on campus that we could use to practice?

Or any practice rooms at all on campus?
Music halls?
Thank you!! :love:

xTiggerx said:
So I just received the letter for the biochem class that lists the texts we'll need. Does anyone know if we need all of these books? I know we'll use these later on in the main courses as well, but :eek: anybody know or heard which ones are good/get used the most? I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a book that will just sit on my shelf :p Thanks!

Does anyone know the answer to this post? I'd like to find out the same thing as well.