Aerobic Respiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, every book says something different about the net ATP produced per molecule of glucose:
Princeton: 32 for prok, 30 for euk
Kaplan: 38 for prok, 36 for Euk
Lehninger: 34 for prok, 32 for euk
This is driving me crazy!!! :scared: Can anyone give me the MCAT numbers (That's all that matters in the end, right ;))
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello jgberken,

I think it would be safe just to stick to 36-38. The MCAT tests basic knowledge, and since PR did mention that the 30-32 reflects a newer understanding of cellular respiration, it is an exception. In biochem and other bio classes, I believe they are still teaching 36-38.

I think the big point to recognize is that there is a 2ATP difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes due to the fact that prokaryotes don't have to transfer the NADH from glycolysis through the mitochondrial membrane straight to ubiquinone.

I think the big point to recognize is that there is a 2ATP difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes due to the fact that prokaryotes don't have to transfer the NADH from glycolysis through the mitochondrial membrane straight to ubiquinone.

it's actually 30 from my biochem class. stick with 36 as campbell is the truth. they over predicted.

Members don't see this ad :)
the discrepancies are due to the fact that in the mitochondria the NAD+ is 2.5 ATP instead of 3 and 1.5 instead of 2.0 in the cytoplasm, including some others (i.e. FADH2) that they rounded off. I am quite sure the MCAT is testing you on the older standard of 36 in euk and 38 in prok--however in either case there is 2 ATP difference b/w the two and i think you need to know why it is so.

the discrepancies are due to the fact that in the mitochondria the NAD+ is 2.5 ATP instead of 3 and 1.5 instead of 2.0 in the cytoplasm, including some others (i.e. FADH2) that they rounded off. I am quite sure the MCAT is testing you on the older standard of 36 in euk and 38 in prok--however in either case there is 2 ATP difference b/w the two and i think you need to know why it is so.
The math works out perfect. 2.5/3 = 5/6, and 5/6 * 36 = 30 (Euk)

So, the way i calculate it for prok (-2 for euk):
Glycolosis : 2ATP, 2 NADH
AcetylCoA: 2 NADH
Krebs: 6 NADH, 2 FADH2, 2 GTP

Total: 10 NADH--> 10x2.5=25
2 FADH2--> 2x1.5=3
4 ATP--> 4
Total ATP= 25+3+4= 32
So, 32 ATP formed for prokaryotes and 30 for eukaryotes. Is that what the MCAT wants? 36 would be (like tncekm said) if 3 ATP formed per NADH, which I dont think is true

The MCAT will expect you to know that there is 36 for euk and 38 for prok. This knowledge is as old as the MCAT and the MCAT is an old stubborn man who will not change for no one. Expect for blondes with long legs, the mcat loves blondes with those long legs.

The MCAT will expect you to know that there is 36 for euk and 38 for prok. This knowledge is as old as the MCAT and the MCAT is an old stubborn man who will not change for no one. Expect for blondes with long legs, the mcat loves blondes with those long legs.

Really? I thought it was the red heads ;)

Anyways, you guys are all missing the point if you think the MCAT will ever ask you for how many ATP are produced via aerobic respiration. The MCAT does not ask many spit-back questions, but in the rare instances they do the AAMC will not test you on a concept that is in dispute. It is true that the latest research indicates that the number is around 30 ATP, but the mere fact that this is an active area of research indicates that the AAMC will steer clear of asking about it. After all, if they do dare to ask about it, they'll be forced to drop the question b/c too many students will write in with complaints.

Really? I thought it was the red heads ;)

Anyways, you guys are all missing the point if you think the MCAT will ever ask you for how many ATP are produced via aerobic respiration. The MCAT does not ask many spit-back questions, but in the rare instances they do the AAMC will not test you on a concept that is in dispute. It is true that the latest research indicates that the number is around 30 ATP, but the mere fact that this is an active area of research indicates that the AAMC will steer clear of asking about it. After all, if they do dare to ask about it, they'll be forced to drop the question b/c too many students will write in with complaints.
That is a wonderful answer...you have made me happy :) I hate the little things that are different in all the books. They really annoy me!