African-American Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrFutureDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other fellow African American applicants on here? If so, how has your application experience been thus far? Traditionally, very few Blacks apply to dental school, and they only make up roughly 2-5% of total dental students. I hope there is an upward trend this year. Anyone with any insight on Black applicants and admissions please fill me in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually my experience was very pleasing. All of the schools that I interviewed at gave me a warm reception. I think the schools are sympathetic to the fact that african americans are under represented. Trust me my stats were very competitive but I think I was pampered a little. I think that the future is bright for any african american out there who pursues a career in dentistry because there are more derntist needed to represent that part of the community. Good luck to you in dental school ! what school are you planning to attend?

MZ,
I did not state that I had special treatment, believe me I worked hard too. I have a 3.79 GPA, 3.9 non Sci, 20 academic on the Dat. I just thought that the schools that I interviewed at went out of the way to make me feel comfortable thats all.