This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GodIsBeautiful

ℬ.
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Are there any African-Americans entering pharmacy school this year (Class of 2023!) on SDN? If so, do you know if your future school has an ASPA (African Student Pharmacy Association) chapter? Let us connect! :D

Or... If you'd just like to talk, and looking for a new friendship (like myself), comment below!

Members don't see this ad.

I am I got accepted to Howard University!! Waiting to hear back from LIU

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, @megj! ♥️

I know this may be a stressful time for you, but hey! You got this! You know yourself and your passion for Pharmacy better than anyone, so let that shine through during your interviews!

Are you from the East Coast?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m originally from California but I currently have Texas residence. I’m applying to Texas schools. Thanks for the well wishes !!!!

And good luck on your endeavors.

I’m originally from California but I currently have Texas residence. I’m applying to Texas schools. Thanks for the well wishes !!!!

And good luck on your endeavors.

Good luck to you as well! ♥️

I am I got accepted to Howard University!! Waiting to hear back from LIU

Howard?! 'Ayyyyy, congratulations!

I was going to go there for undergrad, but decided against it because I felt I was not prepared to leave my home-state just yet. Do you know how many people typically get accepted to Howard's program?

Depends I heard their largest class size was around 80 smallest was 40

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I like the small school vibe.

Yes. I like the small school vibe.

I hear you! Also, there would be a tight, small cohort with strong, cultural presence.

I'm from New York. Would you like to remain in your state and practice pharmacy, or would you rather practice wherever you decide to go to school?

Hey! same as above! I'm in the interview process ! Such a nerve wrecking stage lol

I hear you! Also, there would be a tight, small cohort with strong, cultural presence.

I'm from New York. Would you like to remain in your state and practice pharmacy, or would you rather practice wherever you decide to go to school?
Hopefully I can practice in California even if it’s in the boonies (considering the saturation).

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to practice in NY as well because that's my home state. I do plan on taking all my exams when I graduate as if I was going to school in New York. I'm waiting to hear back from LIU before I make my final decision.

Hey! same as above! I'm in the interview process ! Such a nerve wrecking stage lol

Interviews are the worst (literally, kill me), but they are extremely necessary; we don't want unapproachable health professionals who lack interpersonal skills, haha! :)

How many places have you interviewed at?

Hopefully I can practice in California even if it’s in the boonies (considering the saturation).

"Boonies." :laugh:

Saturation seems on top of everyone's List of Fears career-wise. You don't want to leave your hometown, but at the same time, you need a job! California, Texas, or Atlanta are my three next go-to places after NY.

I'm waiting to hear back from LIU before I make my final decision.

LIU will probably reply back to you by the end of May! LIU has an "Early Assurance" program, where some people who applied to the school for undergrad were guaranteed a spot in the Pharmacy program as long as they maintained a 3.25 GPA average, or don't fail any classes.

However, Orgo (a class that weed students out) is killing alot of people's GPAs, making it fall below a 3.25, so they get kicked out of "Early Assurance" program. There is a chance!

"Boonies." :laugh:

Saturation seems on top of everyone's List of Fears career-wise. You don't want to leave your hometown, but at the same time, you need a job! California, Texas, or Atlanta are my three next go-to places after NY.

ATL is fulllllllll. lol Seriously. I know people who recently graduated here in ATL and had to go to the "boonies" for jobs lmao

• Haha
Interviews are the worst (literally, kill me), but they are extremely necessary; we don't want unapproachable health professionals who lack interpersonal skills, haha! :)

How many places have you interviewed at?
2, Im on the other side of interviews. The interview isn't the nerve wrecking part. It's waiting to hear back that causes too much anxiety.

ATL is fulllllllll. lol Seriously. I know people who recently graduated here in ATL and had to go to the "boonies" for jobs lmao

There ya' have it, folks! *swiftly crosses Atlanta off my list*

2, Im on the other side of interviews. The interview isn't the nerve wrecking part. It's waiting to hear back that causes too much anxiety.

That cursed 3-4 weeks wait time can have a person contemplating their entire life's decisions.
The best thing to do during that time is occupy your time with a hobby! I remember when I got my acceptance email/package, I was not even thinking about it; I was cooking, something I love to do! The acceptance took me by surprise.

There ya' have it, folks! *swiftly crosses Atlanta off my list*

That cursed 3-4 weeks wait time can have a person contemplating their entire life's decisions.
The best thing to do during that time is occupy your time with a hobby! I remember when I got my acceptance email/package, I was not even thinking about it; I was cooking, something I love to do! The acceptance took me by surprise.
Thanks! That's what I literally have to do because if I don't have my mind on something else, I'm contemplating everything lol. Thanks for the advice. I planned a nice little vacay for next week to Vegas. What a joy it would be casually sipping my margarita poolside and the email pops up on my phone lol

Thanks! That's what I literally have to do because if I don't have my mind on something else, I'm contemplating everything lol. Thanks for the advice. I planned a nice little vacay for next week to Vegas. What a joy it would be casually sipping my margarita poolside and the email pops up on my phone lol

Aaaaaah. That sounds like such a dream.
I'm wishing you the best of luck! Good news all of 2019! ♥️

I got in ! exactly how I predicted. I didn't go to Vegas again, instead I went to Puerto Rico, literally sipping on a coconut beachside when I got the acceptance. Life is GOOD! lol
Aaaaaah. That sounds like such a dream.
I'm wishing you the best of luck! Good news all of 2019! ♥

I got in ! exactly how I predicted. I didn't go to Vegas again, instead I went to Puerto Rico, literally sipping on a coconut beachside when I got the acceptance. Life is GOOD! lol
Congrats!!!!!

I was accepted to Howard U out of high school to their communications program. Lmao that was back when I wanted to be a journalist. I didn’t end up going because I had no way to pay for it.

Oh and Puerto Rico is beautiful!!!

For an update my interview went well and I was accepted to The University of Houston Pharmacy program.

Reactions: 3 users

Congratulations! :soexcited:
What a dream! How happy are you?

For an update my interview went well and I was accepted to The University of Houston Pharmacy program.

Congratulations to you as well! ♥️
I was going to go to Howard too, but it was too expensive; dorming, books, everything. My pockets would be screaming.

I’m so excited to see this thread!

I just got into UMES school of pharmacy class of 2022 ( b/c it’s a 3 year program) I just want to tell you all I am so proud of you and you’ve achieved so much already!

We start class in July so I will update about the organization.

Does anybody have any good resources or plans to prepare for class?

I was read through the forums and I heard about audible. I just want to share and connect with everyone so we can all achieve success together

Reactions: 3 users

I just got into UMES school of pharmacy class of 2022 ( b/c it’s a 3 year program) I just want to tell you all I am so proud of you and you’ve achieved so much already!

I was read through the forums and I heard about audible. I just want to share and connect with everyone so we can all achieve success together
Audible ?? I have an account but how do folks connect on there?

Congratulations!
Wow, a 3-year program! That's why you start in July; so early! So, when do you have orientation?

True, does Audible offer free books or something to students?

Audible ?? I have an account but how do folks connect on there?
I don’t know if you can connect with others. I have been look for ways to
Congratulations!
Wow, a 3-year program! That's why you start in July; so early! So, when do you have orientation?

Our orientation is July 17th and class starts the 20th from my understanding. We had a brief introduction during the interview. Sorry for responding so late, this semester has been busy.

• Love
True, does Audible offer free books or something to students?
It’s $9.99 a month for the student membership and you get a free book every month. I struggle with pronouncing many drug names so I have been going over good night pharm.

Hello!

Are there any African-Americans entering pharmacy school this year (Class of 2023!) on SDN? If so, do you know if your future school has an ASPA (African Student Pharmacy Association) chapter? Let us connect! :D

Or... If you'd just like to talk, and looking for a new friendship (like myself), comment below!
This is racist.

"rac·ist
/ˈrāsəst/
noun.

1. A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

Did I exclude any other race from this conversation? No.
Did I threaten anyone with this post? No.
Did I say black people were the most superior race of this country? No.

In fact, as the OP, I have been quite kind. Please take the time to educate yourself before you come onto this post and put words into my mouth. It is very unbecoming.

I don’t know if you can connect with others. I have been look for ways to

Our orientation is July 17th and class starts the 20th from my understanding. We had a brief introduction during the interview. Sorry for responding so late, this semester has been busy.

No apologies needed! It is alright! I was in the same dilemma, but my semester has finally ended! P3, here we come!

It’s $9.99 a month for the student membership and you get a free book every month. I struggle with pronouncing many drug names so I have been going over good night pharm.

That's a pretty good deal. And ha! I think I need to take your advice because sis... I'm about to butcher these drug names.

"rac·ist
/ˈrāsəst/
noun.

1. A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

Did I exclude any other race from this conversation? No.
Did I threaten anyone with this post? No.
Did I say black people were the most superior race of this country? No.

In fact, as the OP, I have been quite kind. Please take the time to educate yourself before you come onto this post and put words into my mouth. It is very unbecoming.

You are discriminating against other races by making a thread only for members of the African race...

You are discriminating against other races by making a thread only for members of the African race...

Hm. I would like you to read my original post again.

As previously quoted, I allowed for anybody to comment on this thread. It is not my fault that mainly black people have replied.

With this post, racism was and is not my goal. If you feel it was, maybe you should look at yourself and question how you view things in life?

Anyway. Good luck with whatever you are doing! If you would like to have a reasonable conversation, my messages are always open.

Last edited:
Modest is autistic but people are typically referred to in the English language as "he" or "she," not "it."

Modest is autistic but people are typically referred to in the English language as "he" or "she," not "it."

Thank you for the clarification. However, I don't believe I targeted anyone... I simply replied to an accusative comment made.

I don't see how this post is racist.

The original poster was just trying to see who else, both inside the field of Pharmacy and within her current class, she can relate to demographically. There is nothing wrong with asking being that many of the pharmacy schools I've seen and applied to in my area lack an African-American presence nowadays.

#BlackGirlMagicOverHere! ~

• Love
No apologies needed! It is alright! I was in the same dilemma, but my semester has finally ended! P3, here we come!

That's a pretty good deal. And ha! I think I need to take your advice because sis... I'm about to butcher these drug names.
Girl I don’t know how I’m even supposed to be able to sound half these words out. And every body pronounced them their own way!

It gives good points as to which are easier to study first and such too. I’ve been trying to just pick up the little trends.

• Love
I don't see how this post is racist.

The original poster was just trying to see who else, both inside the field of Pharmacy and within her current class, she can relate to demographically. There is nothing wrong with asking being that many of the pharmacy schools I've seen and applied to in my area lack an African-American presence nowadays.

#BlackGirlMagicOverHere! ~

Much love to everybody! ♥️

Im Asian but I wish I was AA .. does that count?

• Haha
Im Asian but I wish I was AA .. does that count?

Haha, aw! Love the skin you're in, honey!
You count, always! I'm sorry if the name of this discussion seemed exclusive. That wasn't my intention.

So how does saturation affect minorities? Anyone do any research on this? I would like to know.