This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Boonies." :laugh:

Saturation seems on top of everyone's List of Fears career-wise. You don't want to leave your hometown, but at the same time, you need a job! California, Texas, or Atlanta are my three next go-to places after NY.

Take a look NOW at the states and cities you mentioned. see where you can work and what they pay is like, then imagine 4 years from now. you need to have a clear understanding of what the pharmacy world is like NOW, not when you graduate and find yourself stuck in a corner. Because even ALASKA is filled up. And saturation is not your only problem. Companies are shedding jobs and reducing salaries. pharmacists are being laid off in all companies, while more and more students graduate. Full time jobs and high wages are a thing of the past. tuition however just keeps skyrocketing. but again, as a seemingly intelligent and thoughtful person, YOU should validate this before making a decision. So you don't think pharms like me are "pulling your leg" to keep you out. Because at this point it's ruined for EVERYONE, myself included. keeping new grads out will do nothing , we already have tens of thousands of pharmacists looking for work and the damage is done.

I am a Manager at WM in the "boonies" as you say. I have 100+ applicants for Every position that rarely opens for low hours and low pay. In metropolitan areas your talking 200+ and growing who are jockeying for that spot, and again, the position is low hours, and low pay....

"boonies" = a RURAL area, geographically separated from major cities, and is an undesirable place to live and work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a look NOW at the states and cities you mentioned. see where you can work and what they pay is like, then imagine 4 years from now. you need to have a clear understanding of what the pharmacy world is like NOW, not when you graduate and find yourself stuck in a corner. Because even ALASKA is filled up. And saturation is not your only problem. Companies are shedding jobs and reducing salaries. pharmacists are being laid off in all companies, while more and more students graduate. Full time jobs and high wages are a thing of the past. tuition however just keeps skyrocketing. but again, as a seemingly intelligent and thoughtful person, YOU should validate this before making a decision. So you don't think pharms like me are "pulling your leg" to keep you out. Because at this point it's ruined for EVERYONE, myself included. keeping new grads out will do nothing , we already have tens of thousands of pharmacists looking for work and the damage is done.

I am a Manager at WM in the "boonies" as you say. I have 100+ applicants for Every position that rarely opens for low hours and low pay. In metropolitan areas your talking 200+ and growing who are jockeying for that spot, and again, the position is low hours, and low pay....

"boonies" = a RURAL area, geographically separated from major cities, and is an undesirable place to live and work.

Thank you!

So how does saturation affect minorities? Anyone do any research on this? I would like to know.

It affects them like everyone else.

What a joke of a thread. This is why pharmacists are the laughing stock when we have 100000s of organizations that don’t have the same type of common purpose. We are so split and divided.

Anyways for anyone getting into schools this fall, I hope you really know what you are doing; If you are getting acceptance letters in April-May for the fall, that should be an easy red flag.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

What a joke of a thread. This is why pharmacists are the laughing stock when we have 100000s of organizations that don’t have the same type of common purpose. We are so split and divided.

Anyways for anyone getting into schools this fall, I hope you really know what you are doing; If you are getting acceptance letters in April-May for the fall, that should be an easy red flag.
Interesting. I was under the impression it would hurt them more. The black unemployment rate is usually higher in general than rest if the populace.

576282205.png

Absolute red flag....lol. good point. back in 2008 when i applied , I waited it out, had to be VERY competative with grades and PCAT. It really felt like a competition.....i was proud to get in......i think this generation is getting ripped off of that TRUE experience and they probably dont even know it.

Reactions: 1 users
hey! I'm African, straight out the boat. I go to Drake University c/o2023. But i often find myself in NYC during my breaks. It's been crazy because I'm LITERALLY the only BLACK girl in my class. I struggle everyday because it feels like i'm the only one going true such a stressful career pathway. I would truly love to connect with anyone willing to connect.

hey! I'm African, straight out the boat. I go to Drake University c/o2023. But i often find myself in NYC during my breaks. It's been crazy because I'm LITERALLY the only BLACK girl in my class. I struggle everyday because it feels like i'm the only one going true such a stressful career pathway. I would truly love to connect with anyone willing to connect.

although my schools doesn't have the ASPA, is it nationally recognized? do they have annual events so one could connect with other pharmacist?

actually, i just looked up African Pharmacy Student Association and realized its only at Texas Southern University (not certain how true this is).If anyone is willing to reach out so WE can make this association nationally recognized, i'd love that

So how does saturation affect minorities? Anyone do any research on this? I would like to know.

this is just how i think about these things, we (international students) to be precise, comes into a foreign land and gains the same degree as someone who has lived there all their lives. must be nice right? it all comes down when we're done with school and it comes to "the next steps". Do you really feel that you can get the same opportunity as them that were born and raised here? Definitely we cannot. having the same degree doesn't initiate having the same opportunities, you get me?
that's just the way my head wraps how saturation affects minorities.