After 4 years of high school do you...

No, I love people, just not when my grade depends on their self-discipline.

Oh, and top.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, you have pretty thin skin if that was a downer for you. I happened to like college and the first two years of med school. I also had fun in high school. Read again and notice that I didn't say you wouldn't have a life. However, if you hate school and can't have fun during high school, it's NOT going to get better. It will get much, much worse. I could pretty much take the amount of time I studied for a test in high school and square it for the amount of time I studied for a test in college, and I could almost do the same again for med school.
QFT.

TheProwler has an ear to g-d, listen to him.

Honestly, the older I've gotten the fewer regrets I've had.

I had a pretty awesome high school experience. I've kept several good friends, was involved in some interesting activities, took some fun classes, did well on my SAT, and got into an awesome college.

My college time was cut in half by a major car accident and I had to take 3 semesters off. Even after I got back I had to have several major surgeries. (Finally had my last one right before vet school interviews--8 years after the whole thing started.) Even then, I got to have a lot of fun. Made some good friends, was on the newspaper staff, and took a major I really loved.

The low point in my life was the first job I took out of college. It was really life-sucking. But if I didn't take it I never would have gotten interested in medicine and pharmacology. And if I hadn't moved back to Raleigh, gotten a dog, and driven by the vet school everyday (I lived really close by), I probably wouldn't be a vet student today and as happy as I am.

Now that I'm in vet school, the classes are interesting, I love the way our curriculum is set up, and still have time to spend with friends.

I wouldn't change a thing about my life because once you start tugging on that one thread, the whole fabric unravels. I feel quite happy about where I am and how I got here. I think when you've faced down some really bad times, the rest is just gnats.

Bottom line: Enjoy everyday. Diversions can be important. Focus on where you are now, and doing the best you can now. Don't let the future or the past rule your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not proud of some things I did in HS, but I wouldn't go as far to say I regret them. It was an interesting learning experience.

I moved the summer before starting high school and I was the new kid to a high school of 2500+. I signed up for all easy classes because I wanted to hang out with all the "cool kids" who took these classes too. I got involved in some bad stuff and a lot of the drama while putting minimal effort into school. Luckily by the end of my sophomore year, I found out that the "cool kids" are actually more insecure than I was, they did a lot of shallow things, they were changing who I was, etc... Until I experienced an epiphany that completely changed me to who I am now. I was no longer insecure, took some AP classes, distanced myself from them, and made new friends. I'm not sure where I'd be if I didn't go through that, but I've never been happier, ambitious, or proud. So I can't say that I regret a thing.

...Except for maybe deciding on a health career a week too late to apply for a 6-year direct-entry MD program at the univeristy I'm going to next fall. But hopefully it will still work out.

In the end, I raised my gpa to a 4.0.
Made a lot of new friends that are at my maturity level.

There's only so much of it to enjoy, I'm afraid. You'll take away a few cool concepts that you'll be glad you were taught, but the vast majority of what you'll be doing through college (and the rest of high school) essentially amounts to busy work when all is said and done. Med school will also change your outlook on subjects and learning. For example, I like physiology a lot. However, I don't enjoy getting physiology crammed down my throat and then coming home and cramming it further down my throat for a few more hours just to stay caught up. This is a whole different world. You'll get a few "hey, this is cool" moments, but it's mostly a game of survival rather than enjoyment.

Hm, true any Biology at 2 AM is not going to be fun biology, but if it gets me where I want to go I'll be able to push through it... if not well... there're always jobs open at McDonalds right?

Damn, you have pretty thin skin if that was a downer for you. I happened to like college and the first two years of med school. I also had fun in high school. Read again and notice that I didn't say you wouldn't have a life. However, if you hate school and can't have fun during high school, it's NOT going to get better. It will get much, much worse. I could pretty much take the amount of time I studied for a test in high school and square it for the amount of time I studied for a test in college, and I could almost do the same again for med school.

But... I just said... that I like school... you know the whole 'science nerd' was kinda aimed toward that... and I did re-read it; it was a miscomunication on both ends I think. The whole Debby Downer thing was a joke... ask Tibula, she's Negative Nancy.

But... I just said... that I like school... you know the whole 'science nerd' was kinda aimed toward that... and I did re-read it; it was a miscomunication on both ends I think. The whole Debby Downer thing was a joke... ask Tibula, she's Negative Nancy.
Read it all over again. I was responding to:
I want to finish all this schooling and get on with my life lol

That's great that you love school. You're clearly not who the comment was directed at.

That's great that you love school. You're clearly not who the comment was directed at.

I thought you were talking to me because you quoted me on the post... but it's cool, I'm just going to shut up now; I think I've embarrassed myself quite enough, haha.

Enjoy everyday. Diversions can be important. Focus on where you are now, and doing the best you can now. Don't let the future or the past rule your life.

:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

Can't agree with you any more. I always believe that everything happens for the best. Even if you make a mistake, you learn from it. So if you messed up the SAT....you might have to take another exam in the future (ex. MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc.)...don't screw up that. ;)

well seeing how i'm still a junior..
i can reflect on my freshmen and sophmore years..

& all i can really say is that i took it more seriously..
my grades werent horrible..but not what i'm used to.
:)

I understand what your point is, but I disagree. I am doing/did great in High School grade wise and I have made many good friends, but I have realized that many of my friends and ppl in my school in general don't take it seriously, I just want to be around like minded people who want to succeed and have a bright future and I'm sure I will find more of that in college. There will be people who party or w/e but still college is more important than high school and I can't wait to start, I know I will be happier there and I will do better there. I'm not unaware of the time commitment health care has, and I can assure you that i'm one the least likely people on hsdn to have "thin" skin. It's not smart to assume to much about people based on their posts...

Last edited:
Regrets? I have plenty..

My biggest regret is not realizing how important school was. I coasted through my Freshman and Sophomore years, made great friends with the worst possible people, and got involved with drugs. Sure, it was alright while it lasted; all I had to show for it my Junior year was a 2.5GPA and no extra-circulars.

Luckily, I grew up between my Sophomore and Junior and really began to buckle down. I decided to test myself and jumped into AP Psychology, AP US History, and Chemistry Honors. It was a pretty hard transit, but I came out of my Junior year with a 3.9 weighted and a lot more pride for myself.

Here I am.. Senior year.. and I just finished taking AP Microeconomics, AP European History, AP US Government, AP Computer Science, retaking Algebra 1, retaking English II, retaking Algebra II, as well as my elective ORACLE database programming course and pottery -- all in 1 semester. (Hell of a semester, luckily I only have AP Lit now that I'm done with all of the others) I even had to get my guidance councilor to place me into all of these AP classes which I'm not even supposed to be in because they were above my level.

Just finished my last semester with a 4.6 weighted. I've never been happier with myself. Not to mention, I've also been involved with two clubs, one which I am not the vice-president of, and I'm on our schools tennis team.

I've worked my ass off, struggled through classes, and here I am: ready to pursue my dream of working in the medical field.

My school of choice is USF; I already improved my grades enough to get Florida's 75% bright future scholarship, now I'm just crossing my fingers for acceptance. Hopefully all of this hard work will pay off, I'm truly ready to begin my life outside of high school and really test myself in college.

The whole "you can do anything if you set your mind to it" saying has definitely shown to be true for me. It sucks that I was sucked into all of the stupid stuff I did, I live in a pretty hickish town in the middle of Florida and the majority of my friends won't even be going to college nor do they seem to care about their future at all.

Well.. how was that for a first post?
Wow, that was a great post, from a 2.5 to 4.6, fantastic! I really empathize with what your saying, some of my friends won' be going to college this year and it angers me that they don't care more, I want them to have good lives (Not saying you HAVE to go to college to have a good life) But anyway best of luck with w/e you decide to do.