After looking at my application....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am feeling really depressed. I know I have good EC's (5 years clinical, leadership in medical and other communities blah blah and etc), and I also know that med schools look at ECs just as they look at Grades and MCATs (I have a below avg. GPA and no idea on MCATs). Yet, I have this overwhelming sense of doom...kinda like I am about the spend the rest of my year doing something that I don't think is going to turn out in my favor. I want to be a physician so badly, somebody would have to cut my arms and legs off so I can't plead with ADCOMs to take me. I have defined my life, and my dreams based on this. No matter how long my day has been, working with patients for the last few years has been more rewarding than I could imagine. The impact I have on people inspires and motivates me. Being a physician is not that dream...it is what I am going to do with my license. I am one of those wierdos who would be okay taking home 40K a year, because I know I am going to be fulfilled doing what I love to do. I see people talk about 401K and which school offers more money and which classes are easier to boost GPAs...my heart and my mind are only set on one thing--am I going to achieve my dream? I am scared....so much rests on this one year, and yet, so little can be gained by not trying.

I suppose, it's just the season to be blue. Thanks for listening to me.
Tweetie

Members don't see this ad.

Hang in there! This process is a pain in the arse, but it will be worth it once you become Dr. Tweetie! Sounds like you have a decent shot, so just apply to as many schools as possible.

Of course - I must admit that I am not looking forward to the next 12 months either!

:D
u2ecila

ahh tweetie... don't be depressed yet! you don't know what's going to happen. i'm sure if you're as fulfilled as you say by doing clinical experience, this will show if you write about it in your personal statement and get a good letter of rec from someone. unless your gpa is really sub-standard, there is no reason to think so negatively at this stage. all you can do is wait and see. if it doesn't work out, there is always next year! i know that doesn't seem ideal, but one year really won't matter in the whole scheme of things and it will give you a chance to do things you wouldn't be able to do while in school. if you don't get in this year, you can always consider DO or foreign schools the next time around. but don't think about that now. just do your best this year and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Tweetie,

Please don't lose hope. I really believe that if you work hard enough, you can do whatever you put your mind to. Plus, we need more doctors like you, doctors who genuinely care about their patients.

Who knows, maybe your MCAT score will come back a 45! :) If you don't get in this year, you can always apply again, or think about osteopath or PA programs. Good luck!

if i've learned one thing in this process it is to hold on to as much self esteem and self confidence as you can!!!
and surround yourself with people who will root for you all the way, all the time.

be proud of your application.
you'll get in somewhere!!!

good luck

This was exactly me two days ago! I still have this gut feeling that something is going to go wrong this coming year, and i'm not going to go to med school. i know its important to look at the positive side, but its tough when you don't have high scores. i'm hoping that someone can see past the scores and realize my desire to become a physician. good luck to all!

I think in some cases it might be better to stay away from SDN before applying. It creates a great sense of paranoia. Pretend you never read anything on SDN--now how do you feel? Probably a lot better. You know you have excellent ECs and that it makes you a unique applicant. You know you studied hard for the MCATs and your score will show it in June. So relax a little and focus your energy on being happy with all that you've accomplished thus far. Now that's pretty impressive! And remember, I have faith in you! :)

I think what you are going through is totally normal...at least myself and everyone I have talked to (esp. right after the MCAT) thought that there is no shot we'd ever get into medical school. Personally, I hadn't really ever been told i couldn't do something and I was scared to death of failure or being told I wasn't good enough. All i've wanted to do since I can ever remember was be a doctor yet in the car on the way to my first interview I was filling out grad school applications for teaching programs...that was how sure I was it wouldn't work out...it's what I let the fear do to me...

to make a long story short, I won't be going to grad school for teaching because i got into three out of the four programs I finished applying to...and if you had asked me a year ago, i could have listed 50 reasons why the next person was more qualified than me. Interview season will be here before you know it...get the applications in and enjoy your summer...you speak with great passion about your dreams and that will get you HUGE points with ADCOMs when it comes across in your personal statement, letters of rec., and in interviews...skip the grad school applications :wink: !
Good luck, BingGirl

•••quote:••• I think in some cases it might be better to stay away from SDN before applying. It creates a great sense of paranoia. Pretend you never read anything on SDN--now how do you feel? Probably a lot better. ••••You couldn't be more right.

There is no reason to be scared. Approach fear not by yourself, but with others who have conquered it. That means sharing time with other people who truly love the medical profession. Be close to doctors you know and seek their words of comfort. Think not of what ADCOMS are looking for... instead, continue doing what you love. Remember, you are not alone in this endeavor, so there is nothing to be afraid of.

Remind yourself that you've got what it takes, because you do! You wouldn't have gotten this far if you didn't have the determination and skills needed to succeed.

Sometimes, no - many, many times you may feel overwhelmed, just take each experience as it comes and trust that there are ad coms out there who can recognize people who have the heart and talent to become great doctors.

Amen, amen, amen Doctora Foxy.

And if you must come, limit yourself to maybe one visit a month...

Tweetie, I on the same boat. I have EC's coming out of the wazoo and below avg GPA and ? MCAT scores. I hear about all these folks with 3.9's and it scares me to death. I have spent my last 3 yrs after undergrad preparing for med school and the thought of not getting in is just unbelievable. Lets hope we can pull through....

tweetie,
i dont know your situation, but if u can, apply to many schools. i was just as paranoid, so that was what i did and got in despite my less than stellar stats. and even if i would not get this year, i would definitely reapply. years from now one year will not make a world of difference if u really work towards your dream. just do your best. timing is important (keep those deadlines in mind). if u are done with school, keep yourself busy, work, volunteer, travel, whatever it takes. just dont get fixated solely on those applications. u will b fine!

Hi guys,
Thank you for the encouragement, I needed to hear it. After I posted this message last night, I stayed away from SDN for a long while. Actually, I stayed away from MYSELF for a long while...I just went out and focused on things other than ....ME. It made a world of difference. And although I am still a bit ambivalent..anxious..scared...I don't feel so paranoid anymore. I am actually feeling a bit excited. This one year may bring me closer to my dreams, or push me away for a year. Either way, the dream will still be achieved. I just have to make sure I figure out how and in how much time.

Thanks for your posts. I really really needed to hear all this. God bless.
Tweetie

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•I think in some cases it might be better to stay away from SDN before applying. It creates a great sense of paranoia. :) •••••I had never heard of SDN at the time I applied. Sure, there are a lot of useful tips that I would have gotten from this site - but overall, I have to agree with Foxy - I think I would have been a wreck. Everytime someone threw out some strange acronym that I have never heard before, I would be frantically searching to find out what it meant and why I didn't already have one. :confused: