After Officialy Accepting: Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rewindtheyes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Officially accepted last week for the Clinical Psych Program at a university. Since then, I have not heard news as to how to proceed. I assumed they would share contact info for the cohort and some sort of guidelines for moving there.

What expectations should I have from the program to help me make this transition?
Also, what next-steps do you recommend?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I Officially accepted last week for the Clinical Psych Program at a university. Since then, I have not heard news as to how to proceed. I assumed they would share contact info for the cohort and some sort of guidelines for moving there.

What expectations should I have from the program to help me make this transition?

Thank You!

I asked the DCT for the contact information of others in my cohort. Turns out everyone hasn't accepted yet, but I contacted some of the cohort as well as current students. I'm trying not to bombard just one person with all of my questions, because I have lots of them too!

Thank You!

Give them a little time. It may take until April 15 for the cohort to be together. You could talk to the POI or your DCT if you are wanting to know what the next step is.

Some programs will assign you a current student contact before the year starts who might be able to help you with looking for places to live, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering about this. I figured that after April 15th I might have more information. Is it likely that an accepted applicant has further contact with their POI before the beginning of the fall 2012 semester?

No, probably not. There's nothing you really need to talk about with them. If you plan on arriving into town earlier, then you might want to because you may want to start in the lab early, but that's about it. Your main communication will be with the administrative assistant of the department, and there probably won't be much information at all besides the list of your cohort and logistical paperwork stuff.

So, now that April 15 is behind us, I'm wondering if anyone has gotten contact info for your cohort? I'm really curious about how many are in my cohort (they appear to vary from 4-10 students at the school I'm going to) and if I met anyone from my future cohort during interview day, but I haven't heard anything yet (and yes, I know it's just 4/17 today, haha). I have however been contacted by students in the lab I was admitted to so that's nice. :)

Since accepting I was contacted by administration at the school to fax additional info for scholarship/fellowship purposes. Once that was done, I had the same feeling, "what do I do between now and August?" "should I be talking to people within the program?" Eventually I just emailed one of the faculty and asked if I needed to do anything else and they basically said " you're all set! Use this time to relax. Now that everything is done, go enjoy yourself!"

So, I've been able to finally sit back, read a book, play Fifa, and enjoy my free time. I was never able to enjoy free time in the application process because I felt anytime I had that was free I should be rewriting an essay, or reading another article, etc...

Enjoy the time, start figuring out how to transition your personal life back to being a student and relax!!!

I accepted my offer in early March, and since then I've been talking with my POI once every few weeks (we're already working on getting some studies planned so that we can just start collecting data once I get to campus). However, I am in a unique situation as my POI is new at my university and doesn't have any students other than me...I'm guessing that professors who already have labs established would be much busier with their current students, so contact with your POI might be limited until you arrive to campus.

I have gotten a few names of students in my cohort from the DCT, but she hasn't sent out an official e-mail yet (since she didn't have consent to share information / our class wasn't filled when I asked for names, I just had the secretary share my contact information with the other students who have already accepted and they contacted me). I'm sure we'll all be getting an e-mail sometime within the next couple of weeks! :D

As for things you can be doing between now and August, the only thing I can think of is reading your POI's articles more in depth and/or refreshing your stats knowledge, if it's been a while...I started doing that, but every grad student I've talked to has told me to take it easy and NOT do any work before starting grad school...because soon enough you'll be wishing you didn't have any work to do! So I guess my best advice (which I will start practicing myself) is to do everything you've ever wanted to do that grad school might not allow (vacation / reading for pleasure / watching lots of netflix, etc). Enjoy the next few months! :)

Last edited:
I got an email with the names and email addresses of everyone in my cohort (there are 7 total). Part of me wants to send a mass email to say hi, but then I feel like that might be weird. Meh.

I am really curious as to who's in my cohort as well, but I'm not sure how to go about asking for the info or if it's even appropriate. I know there are 6 of us, including me, and with a group that small I feel like it would be nice to have a little friendly, casual contact before diving in. Mostly I'm just really excited to get started and am looking for people in the same boat because no one in my personal life can quite comprehend the joy. :)

I got an email with the names and email addresses of everyone in my cohort (there are 7 total). Part of me wants to send a mass email to say hi, but then I feel like that might be weird. Meh.

It's been a little while, but I don't remember getting an email of contact information on my cohort. That being said, I wouldn't have thought it was weird had someone sent out a group email to introduce themselves; it happened for internship, and ended up turning out very well.

The administration sent our cohort a mass email well before April 15th, when it was finalized, and we've been emailing ever since. Also, we are being bombarded by Welcome emails from current grad students. Before the cohort was final, I was corresponding with another accepted student, after asking for contact information.

For what it's worth, I don't think that'd be weird at all! :)