After Residency Working Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DigitalFusion04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the best specialty to work in for say working a lot for a few days and then having a few days off... (after residency) id rather work a huge day and have a whole day off then work 9-5 in derm for the rest of my life ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It could come across as sounding like you dont want to work much. So hopefully, its not that.

EM - work hard when you're on, get 10-14 days off/month
IM - hospitalist - depends on the group, some work alot, others only work 1/2 the month.
ICU - typically work around 18 days per month, but those 18 days can be very rough, especially if you're the attending at a hospital with no residents (small hospital), you do ALL the lines, ect ....

Thats at the top of my head, I'm sure there's more. Plus dont forget that you can negotiate with almost any field on how much you work (and paid).

In medicine the general rule is the more you work, the more you get paid. I can't think of any specialty where you can really make more by working less, but I also can't think of any specialty that really wouldn't accomodate part-time.