frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
Pre-Medical, Other Health Professions Student
I am still having a tough time with some things after pretty extensive shadowing/exposure. Strangely, I work EMS/ED and I have seen some pretty horrible things (so I guess that I figured that I would be able to handle it?). However, two things I cannot bring myself to watch without wanting to be sick... insertions of chest tubes and removal of fingernails.

SO... what have you seen while shadowing (or working) that makes you feel ill?

nm06003

5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2013
Status
Anything related to poop grosses me out. We did an enema on a patient and she literally was going into one pan and then another. At times it overfilled. I think I nearly passed out.

Otherwise, I don't think there's any other things that bother me. I've watched surgeries and procedures in urology and worked in the ER for 3 years and nothing really stands out. I do have a funny story though. The doctor I worked for shadowed his dad (urologist) when he was in high school, and passed out when he watched his first vasectomy. I guess the patient was moaning and groaning in pain and my doc freaked out when he saw the vas deferens getting pulled out of the sac. Now he does vasectomies every week and he's a urologist too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
Anything related to poop grosses me out. We did an enema on a patient and she literally was going into one pan and then another. At times it overfilled. I think I nearly passed out.

Otherwise, I don't think there's any other things that bother me. I've watched surgeries and procedures in urology and worked in the ER for 3 years and nothing really stands out. I do have a funny story though. The doctor I worked for shadowed his dad (urologist) when he was in high school, and passed out when he watched his first vasectomy. I guess the patient was moaning and groaning in pain and my doc freaked out when he saw the vas deferens getting pulled out of the sac. Now he does vasectomies every week and he's a urologist too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yay! So there is hope for desensitization :)
Yeah, I agree... poo is pretty nasty! Espescially when c.diff is involved...

Jun 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
This personally didn't gross me out, but the surgeon I was shadowing said most med students who observe procedures like this always end up passing out in the middle of the OR:
Removals of osteosarcomas from a patient's jaw. They literally peel the face up and clip it to the hairline. Super freaky.
Also super cool.

But personally for me, I worked in the postpartum department of a hospital for a while and observed a lot of circumcisions. They didn't gross me out, but I kinda felt sad for the little babies. Still don't really know how I feel about them.

Dagrimsta1

Current Representation of MS-3
5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2014
New York
Status
Medical Student
So I was in the hospital shadowing a PA in neurology. We went to a patient who recently underwent brain surgery and I was tasked with holding the patients hand while she maneuvered a tube from her head. Luckily she was sleeping. She starts opening the wound and begins to take the tube out. Patient shuffles around but doesn't wake up (I'm still holding her hands - Sweaty fingers). The PA proceeds and finds a staple gun... I'm thinking there is no way she's just gonna pop her right now...

POP

The poor patients eyes pop open and she started softly yelling (she was really weak) and pulling my hands. Knees weak moms spaghetti soon ensued. I don't know how I made it through that lol.

Horse Apiece

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Something about people being reduced to basically maple trees with an LP just simultaneously makes me queezy, and ruins my fond memories of helping collect sap in my youth.

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
Nothing really grosses me out anymore. After my UG class in forensic anthropology I don't know if there's much that could.

Horse Apiece

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it's less about grossing out and more about causing the patient harm.
True, usually trying to reason through that the things being done are in the persons best interest help me when I feel queezy, since it it less about gory/gruesome/digusting things (totally fine with all the smells that come through the ED, or the gory wounds) and more about bodily harm to another person caused by some intervention on a medical professionals part.

exacto

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Surgeries relating to toenails, eyeballs, and anything with diarrhea gross me out, everything else is amazingly fascinating to me...I've seen hundreds of ER and non emergent procedures, deaths, and inside a lot of bodies. But something with how fragile the eyes and toes....plus i hate looking at feet as it is....and diarrhea just smells god awful.

Reactions: frosted2

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Surgeries relating to toenails, eyeballs, and anything with diarrhea gross me out, everything else is amazingly fascinating to me...I've seen hundreds of ER and non emergent procedures, deaths, and inside a lot of bodies. But something with how fragile the eyes and toes....plus i hate looking at feet as it is....and diarrhea just smells god awful.
The only times I ever felt weak in the OR were for a toenail removal and a corneal replacement. I don't do feet and I don't do eyes. Glad I was sitting down for both!

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
After working as an OR tech for 8 years, the only things that ever grossed me out were diabetic toe amputations.

Labkid

5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
The only thing I haven't seen is an operation that has to do with opening up the face and I'm pretty sure if I didn't pass out I wouldn't feel so good watching it.

Other than that the only "gross" thing was seeing an infected scrotum which really just smelled bad more than anything. That and the smell of burning flesh.

Other wise I don't find myself getting woozy or sick but there are some things that the first time I see them it is a nice little shock of reality.

I can say I was surprised that seeing a patients abdomen opened up and his guts all everywhere didn't bother me.

happyducky

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2016
Sandy dunes
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Shadowing a plastic surgeon once while he drained a lady's necrotic buttocks because of an underlying infection. That was quite the angle.
+1, assisted with multiple of these in a general surgeon's ofc.. it's not even the sight of it, it's the smell that gets me every time.

leonardoson

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
While working as an EMT there were two things where I had to look away or I would have puked. One was a hospital discharge. Patient was diabetic and had necrosis in her feet. Transferred her, and then on the bed was a ton of skin and a couple of toenails... I definitely gagged.

Second was a patient who wet herself in my van. Older lady, completely out of it from a UTI. That smell haunts me to this day.

OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
While working as an EMT there were two things where I had to look away or I would have puked. One was a hospital discharge. Patient was diabetic and had necrosis in her feet. Transferred her, and then on the bed was a ton of skin and a couple of toenails... I definitely gagged.

Second was a patient who wet herself in my van. Older lady, completely out of it from a UTI. That smell haunts me to this day.
Skin flakes all over the bed get me every damn time :)

Reactions: leonardoson

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
+1, assisted with multiple of these in a general surgeon's ofc.. it's not even the sight of it, it's the smell that gets me every time.
Dermabond on the inside of the mask helps.

Reactions: 3member

YoungDoc25

2+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I work in the ER and there is nothing like opening the door to a patient's room to insert a Foley catheter and getting slapped in the face by the smell of yeast. Love my 400+ pound patients from the nursing homes..

Funny story as well- one of the ER docs where I work had a patient throw up in his face while intubating said patient.. Hahaha it was disgusting, but he did manage to get the tube in just in time.

femmegoblue

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
San Junipero
Status
Medical Student
I didn't think any procedure could gross me out...until I saw a postpartum pap smear. So simple and so routine, but I passed out QUICK.

Reactions: Fluffy123

JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2016
Status
Rehab Sci Student
:brb:

Last edited:
OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
I work in the ER and there is nothing like opening the door to a patient's room to insert a Foley catheter and getting slapped in the face by the smell of yeast. Love my 400+ pound patients from the nursing homes..

Funny story as well- one of the ER docs where I work had a patient throw up in his face while intubating said patient.. Hahaha it was disgusting, but he did manage to get the tube in just in time.
You just brought back a very horrible memory for me... bahahaha

I have seen that too... then wondered why they wouldn't use paralytics for a patient (who was already sedated) that had eaten a full meal before coming to the ED (per the nursing home). Yuck-o!

Reactions: YoungDoc25

Gryffindor20

2+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2015
Dumbledore's Office
Status
I'll bite. So, funny enough, I'm Jewish, and yet the first time I saw a circ up close I nearly passed out.

Anything with diarrhea or other bad smells really grosses me out. Mostly because I realize that in order for me to smell it, there have to be microscopic particles of it touching my olfactory epithelium. Ugh!

Other than that, I have a pretty iron stomach. :barf:

YoungDoc25

2+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Reviving this thread bc I just emptied a colostomy bag on a patient with a GI bleed. I will forever be haunted by that smell.

S

Sardinia

Coprophagia. Scatolia.
All over themselves. All over the walls.
For how long? God only knows.
VickyRN said:
I have unfortunately witnessed this type behavior. One elderly demented patient (who used to be a demure Southern Belle school teacher in her earlier life) was scooping feces out of her pamper, eating kernels of corn she found in the feces, and painting the wall above her bed with the rest.
This.

redsox93

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2016
Status
Incision and drainage of abscesses that drain like 30ccs of cream cheese looking discharge :hungover:

OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
Reviving this thread bc I just emptied a colostomy bag on a patient with a GI bleed. I will forever be haunted by that smell.
GI bleeds are the definition of suck. Espescially when a med student comes in and pushes on the abdomen of a 600 pound woman with a severe GI bleed and there is so much of it that it starts dripping off of the side of the hospital bed... I should have made that fool stay and clean it up with me!!! :mad:

Reactions: YoungDoc25
S

Sardinia

God. There was this one woman who always needed a complete bed bath. The nicest lady.

But every time I'd be cleaning her in the shower I'd be on pins and needles because she had a tracheotomy and a G-tube. She would always make these sounds like she was aspirating in the middle of cleaning that would always freak me out. The worst was when you were giving her the bed bath without an assist. I always had to stop just to make sure I didn't somehow let water anywhere around that area.

OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
I immediately regretted googling every condition on this page that I did not know before. However, although quite disturbing, it has been a good learning experience.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student

libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
TURP

Jul 9, 2016
West Coast
Status
I was surprised how light headed I got when I saw a dermatologist remove a ping-pong-sized cyst from a patient's head. It wasn't the cyst that grossed me out (or the fact that it exploded and landed in my hair...) but the small piece of scalp+hair that he cut off. It's funny how the small stuff can trip you up.

aymar

2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Anything involving finger nails. I saw one removed while a patient was sedated in the ER one night and I remember being horrified at the way the skin moved

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Gorilla-san

2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Napping in the shade
Status
Had to help move a 300 pound patient who had a seizure and passed out on the can, turned out he also had a GI bleed. the bathroom looked like a scene from a horror movie....

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona

I had a lady with a full diaper sit on my foot (lift assist and she fell onto me). Also on a full arrest the patient had pooped all over and while we were moving him my hand caught a handful of poop (I was wearing gloves). For some reason I can try my hardest to manage poop stuff, but flaky skin ppl creep me out.

Reactions: leonardoson

Pusheen

silently judging
2+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2014
The Golden State
Status
Medical Student
It's not that gross, but I hate nasogastric tube feeding, esp on patients who aren't all there and are obviously in pain. I feel like I'm witnessing a torture scene.

OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
Really wishing I didn't read this thread while eating my morning oatmeal....
This was more disturbing than any other. If I ever need to get sick in a jiffy, I know what to google. Either this or fracture reductions. YUCK-O!

OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
It's not that gross, but I hate nasogastric tube feeding, esp on patients who aren't all there and are obviously in pain. I feel like I'm witnessing a torture scene.
NG tube insertion is pretty hard to watch too :(

Reactions: Pusheen
OP
frosted2

frosted2

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2016
Under a cozy blanket
Status
I had a lady with a full diaper sit on my foot (lift assist and she fell onto me). Also on a full arrest the patient had pooped all over and while we were moving him my hand caught a handful of poop (I was wearing gloves). For some reason I can try my hardest to manage poop stuff, but flaky skin ppl creep me out.
Flakes on the bed after a patient is discharged will sometimes make me gag!

(Someone needs to teach me how to multi-quote so I quit clogging up the thread... I have never been able to do it successfully!