After taking gen bio 1...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mulberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you enjoy the most out of:

Ecology, Microbio, Botany, or Zoology

What was the easiest?

What was the hardest?

List your preferences.

Members don't see this ad.

I only took microbio out of those classes...but it was really awesome. More relevant to my interests in medicine than the other three too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took ecology and micro. I agree with the above poster, micro was pretty good and actually relevant to my interests. Ecology was awful; I think that was my least favorite class in undergrad so far.

Ecology- haven't taken

Microbiology- my course is not relevant at all for the MCAT, it's all environmental microbiology. I like it though, my research is focused in this.

Zoology (invertebrate)- is awesome and I would highly recommend taking an invertebrate course.

Botany- also very cool, very useful in my opinion.

if I were to rank from easiest to most difficult:

microbiology>zoology>botany

Out of those classes, I liked them in this order: microbiology>zoology>botany and I haven't taken ecology.

From easiest to hardest: microbiology>botany>zoology.

What did you enjoy the most out of:

Ecology, Microbio, Botany, or Zoology

What was the easiest?

What was the hardest?

List your preferences.

Zoology and Ecology were tied for the most interesting.
Microbiology is second.
Botany = Zzzzz

For me Botany was the hardest because it was the least interesting.

I would guess most people would rank microbiology and zoology higher than ecology and botany in terms of interest. But YMMV.

In terms of difficulty, micro tends to have pathways and techniques so there's a fair bit of memorizing but it tends to make sense. Zoology has a lot of systematics/evolution/life cycles/anatomy so there is a lot of "brute force" memorizing like memorizing clades, shared common characters, etc. Botany is the same way except with plants. Ecology is pretty easy because it has a lot of "common sense" applications. Eg if predator population goes up, what happens to prey population? it goes down.

In terms of the MCAT, microbio and zoology will probably help the most in bio sci. Ecology would only help a little. Botany wouldn't help at all.

Excellent responses, appreciate all the help!!