This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubedin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion of a Sub 20yr old medical student

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your opinion of a Sub 20yr old medical student
I dont have a problem with it as long as they are mature, now if they are like 15 or somewhere around there, then they might have a little trouble especially during clinicals. But if they are 18 or 19 and mature then it is fine.

You know, it is possible to be a pretty traditional applicant and be 20. I started 1st grade instead of doing 'kindergarten', and I finished my first UGrad degree in 3 years. If I wanted to apply then, I would have been 20. As it is, I got 2 degrees and did a gap year, and I am still only 22, entering in August. What is considered the "normal" age, anyway?

Edit- oh, wait, you said SUB-20. nm, what route do you mean? I think it depends on the route taken. I.E., as long as you finish your ugrad degree I would be fine with it. If you are 18, in college, and decide you want to go straight into med school without finishing the rest of your degree, I'd say deifinately not. Good grades don't automatically mean commitment.

well in most of the rest of the world, students go straight to med school after high school. So theyre all sub-20 when they start.
I met a bunch of kids from like the UK last summer and there were some that were my age and going into residency. :eek:

In general, i dont think youre mature enough to go onto med school sub 20, especially if you didn't go through undergrad.

Let me clarify: I was put into 1st grade w/o kindergarden, I am graduating hs 1 yr early and the plan is to do the same in undergrad. that would make me 19 entering medical school.

Let me clarify: I was put into 1st grade w/o kindergarden, I am graduating hs 1 yr early and the plan is to do the same in undergrad. that would make me 19 entering medical school.

It sounds pretty dreary to me. What is the hurry? You do realize, of course, that you will not be able to go bar hopping with your med school buddies. What is the point of going to med school under those circumstances? Have some fun. It will do you some good.

ya..enjoy your life before things get hectic, take it easy in undergrad, why rush urself?

Don't come into college planning on graduating early-- I was in your boat (I'm a sophomore and have 1 class left in my major and 7 more total classes to graduate) so graduating early is possible, but I seriously doubt that I'll have more fun or a better life experience elsewhere, so I may well stay here for all 4 years.

It sounds pretty dreary to me. What is the hurry? You do realize, of course, that you will not be able to go bar hopping with your med school buddies. What is the point of going to med school under those circumstances? Have some fun. It will do you some good.

Haha, that was totally one of the reasons I decided not to go straight to med school after graduating. I want to be able to go to happy hour with my buddies! It's embarrassing enough having to sneak into my own alumni reunion parties because there's an open bar and I"m not 21. :p

Yeah, finish UG early if you want to, or if you have financial motivations to (like I did). But I'd say take a year off after, and enjoy all the hard work that let you graduate early :)

Okay, so to sum up- we all think that it would be a waste of (what little, in a doctor's life...) a low stress, fun college year. But in reference to your original question, if you were actually lined up to finish your BS, I don't think they would even look at your age. I think you would be more likely to have a question about why you graduated a year early from college.

well, ill turn it around. i used to think it would be weird having older people in the class until i took this class this semester which involves a lot of group discussion.

i always look forward to what people who have been around the block a few times have to say. theyve experienced a part of life that I have yet to even think about. it is always refreshing to hear what they have to say.

i would think that someone *so* young would not have as much to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol I'll be 19 when I apply .. traditional.. applying this summer

do you honestly think there is a difference in maturity levels between a 19 year old and a 21/22 year old.. hell no
especially if you've been through the same experiences together.

do you honestly think there is a difference in maturity levels between a 19 year old and a 21/22 year old.. hell no

i would say you are a bit biased in that regard, sir. :D

i would say you are a bit biased in that regard, sir. :D

lol

maturity IMO is determined by your surroundings.. I know 15 year olds who are more mature than me.. and 25 year olds who are less mature than me :p

I guess it's for the interviewer to decide

Let us know if your opinion changes in a few years...

lol

maturity IMO is determined by your surroundings.. I know 15 year olds who are more mature than me.. and 25 year olds who are less mature than me :p

I guess it's for the interviewer to decide

Agreed.

I'm living with three 21 year olds right now... and my opinion hasn't changed :p

You may very well be as mature as your older roommates, but that doesn't indicate that you don't have the potential to gain significant maturity in the next few years. And, while there certainly are exceptions, the majority of 22 year olds are generally more mature than the majority of 19 year olds.

You may very well be as mature as your older roommates, but that doesn't indicate that you don't have the potential to gain significant maturity in the next few years. And, while there certainly are exceptions, the majority of 22 year olds are generally more mature than the majority of 19 year olds.

Assuming what you're saying is true... that would probably have to do with "where" you are ... the 22 year olds, from my experience, who are seniors in college really aren't more mature than the sophomores...

Maybe if you're talking about med school students vs. college students... that makes perfect sense... and it might have to do with there being more 22 year olds in medical school than in college... or more 22 year olds in the work force who work fulltime... as a result, having more responsibility than 19 year olds who don't work fulltime.

yeah.. but to your med school buddies who are in their 30s or 40s or 50s, you are just a kid.

yeah.. but to your med school buddies who are in their 30s or 40s or 50s, you are just a kid.

lol true
I doubt I'll end up having buddies who are in their 30s 40s or 50s though
I'm sure they've got families to take care of :D

Assuming what you're saying is true... that would probably have to do with "where" you are ... the 22 year olds, from my experience, who are seniors in college really aren't more mature than the sophomores...

Maybe if you're talking about med school students vs. college students... that makes perfect sense... and it might have to do with there being more 22 year olds in medical school than in college... or more 22 year olds in the work force who work fulltime... as a result, having more responsibility than 19 year olds who don't work fulltime.

I'm simply saying it is probable that a 22 year old will have experienced more than a 19 year old, and thus is (or should be) more mature. Again, this is a generalization and there are exceptions, such as your case.

I agree it is for the interviewer to decide. If a 19 year old has met the necessary requirements (MCAT, prereqs, etc.) to apply, and can demonstrate that they are fully prepared to enter med school, then I say more power to them. I also agree with the sentiment that I would take a year or two off and enjoy life if I were in this position, but I understand that this route isn't for everyone.

my opinion is, what's the rush....they may be mature, but what's the rush? In my experience, they can be lacking social development. Everyone's different, but I would never advise someone to go into this that early

my opinion is, what's the rush....they may be mature, but what's the rush? In my experience, they can be lacking social development. Everyone's different, but I would never advise someone to go into this that early
Very rarely. Someone in my class now is 21 and she is one of the most immature people I have ever met?:thumbdown:

I'm simply saying it is probable that a 22 year old will have experienced more than a 19 year old, and thus is (or should be) more mature. Again, this is a generalization and there are exceptions, such as your case.

I agree it is for the interviewer to decide. If a 19 year old has met the necessary requirements (MCAT, prereqs, etc.) to apply, and can demonstrate that they are fully prepared to enter med school, then I say more power to them. I also agree with the sentiment that I would take a year or two off and enjoy life if I were in this position, but I understand that this route isn't for everyone.

haha yeah... I agree... I was thinking about that .. taking a year off maybe... since I guess I have an "age" advantage
It might be worthwhile :D but then again, it has to do with starting school early. I've still spent the same number of years in school as everyone else... so I feel ready... aah.. dilemmas, dilemmas.

Very rarely. Someone in my class now is 21 and she is one of the most immature people I have ever met?:thumbdown:

Lol.. I think you just tend to find more "uptight" people on SDN that don't know how to relax or have fun

So yeah, on SDN.. cracking your mom jokes is considered unacceptable and immature... in the real world, nah.

take time off to do some good in the world- you are lucky to have the ability to even take 2 years off and do something like teach for america and still not be behind the ball age wise. join the peace corps, travel, get a job in some other area, save babies in africa (im only sort of exaggerating) all of these things will help you become a more dynamic person that is more capable of relating to your patients.

seriously. take time off and have some fun. med school will still be there.... and frankly with the AMA saying med schools should their increase enrollment numbers there will probably more positions available in a few years. oh and lets not forget that it would really suck to have to sneak into med school mixers because you are underage

Lol.. I think you just tend to find more "uptight" people on SDN that don't know how to relax or have fun

So yeah, on SDN.. cracking your mom jokes is considered unacceptable and immature... in the real world, nah.

From your posts in this thread, you do not sound very mature. Or intelligent.

But, you know, it's a forum. People act like ******s.

Besides, doctor's aren't very mature anyway. Nobody is.

But there's something about the way you word your posts which, if you sounded like that in person, would make me want to reject you faster than a philosophy major with a 2.6 BCPM and 7/7/7.

Hooooooowever, age usually has little bearing on maturity. Upbringing appears to have more to do with it.

Many medical schools accept applicants under the age of eighteen who have completed the necessary requirements. A sixteen year old recently matriculated into the University of Washington medical school.

From their website:

• Is there an age restriction for applicants?
The UWSOM does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, or disability. Applicants have been as old as 49 and as young as 15.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education/MDProgram/Admissions/FAQ.htm

It is really sweet being 25 and a first year med student. Try it, you will like it.

But there's something about the way you word your posts which, if you sounded like that in person, would make me want to reject you faster than a philosophy major with a 2.6 BCPM and 7/7/7.

Hooooooowever, age usually has little bearing on maturity. Upbringing appears to have more to do with it.

Many medical schools accept applicants under the age of eighteen who have completed the necessary requirements. A sixteen year old recently matriculated into the University of Washington medical school.

From their website:

• Is there an age restriction for applicants?
The UWSOM does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, or disability. Applicants have been as old as 49 and as young as 15.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education/MDProgram/Admissions/FAQ.htm

getting that stick out of your *** would help

u mad?

getting that stick out of your *** would help

u mad?

img3.jpg

No offense, but go look up the definition of irony for me.

I disagree. Most 16 year olds do not have the required maturity to handle professional school. I agree that some do, and with a good upbringing they can be more mature than many 25 year old med students. So I don't really have a problem if they go to medical school at 16 (why they would want to is beyond me). But I think it is naive to say that all 16 year olds are emotionally developed enough to handle themselves in a professional setting. Even with a great upbringing, most are not.

No offense, but go look up the definition of irony for me.

I disagree. Most 16 year olds do not have the required maturity to handle professional school. I agree that some do, and with a good upbringing they can be more mature than many 25 year old med students. So I don't really have a problem if they go to medical school at 16 (why they would want to is beyond me). But I think it is naive to say that all 16 year olds are emotionally developed enough to handle themselves in a professional setting. Even with a great upbringing, most are not.

I do believe I was going for irony with that first bit there. Good call.

It is indeed naive to say that all (or most) 16 year olds are emotionally developed enough to handle themselves in a professional setting.

But most sixteen year olds are not in the position to apply to medical school. Those that are have probably been in an environment conducive to rapid maturation and emotional. That's definitely debatable, but all of the young teenage prodigies I have met have been quite mature.

At any rate, many medical schools allow applicants of any age. Medical schools interview these applicants in the same manner as any other applicant. There are a significant number of matriculated students under the age of eighteen. Therefore, there must be people under the age of eighteen who are capable of handling medical school.

In closing, I have but two words:

Doogie Howser.

Associating age with maturity is this silly mistake people keep making. I wouldn't automatically assume a 22-23 year old is mature any more than a 18-19 year old is immature. And with some of the posts you read on this board, I don't think everyone here is 12... (many have graduated already). Unless you are trying to infer that people who don't take a year off or more before med school are immature, which would include a HUGE chunk of the normal 21-22 year olds as well, taking time off shouldn't factor in into a maturity equation that much either.

In reality, no one cares! The "immature" people will continue to act as such until reality gives them a cold slap on the face. Sadly, there's no magic age for that (see society as a whole for proof).

EDIT: If you are shorting your college life, then there is a probably a difference (but probably not one that will matter too much). If the "skipping"/condensing, happened before then (still 4 years in college), then it doesn't matter at all.

yes..but med school is a bad place to discover the local pub scene for the first time!

I believe someone else said it right when he mentioned maturity being dependent of your surroundings. It makes a lot of difference where you grew up, lifestyle, responsabilities in life, and a whole lot of other factors. Also, it would be smart to realize that the more you live (assuming similar life circumstances) the more you learn and experience. So, among two people that had similar life experiences, surroundings, family interactions, life style, responsabilties, the older one would be more experienced in comparison. Yes, a 22 year old would be more mature than a 19 year old for the simple fact that he has lived more time and has learned more things during that time. There are always exceptions to everything, but it mainly depends on the path you walk.

For example, I am 23 years old, and I am married and have children to take care of already. I also started working when I was 9 years old, grew up in a different country, immigrated to the U.S, English is my second language, I work while going to school, etc. My life has been, still is, a lot different than many other 23 years old pre-meds.

In answer to the original question: do whatever you feel like doing. It is ultimately your decision. You will learn something either way.

yes..but med school is a bad place to discover the local pub scene for the first time!

well.. just for 3 months or so... I'll be 20 when I actually enter med school... and 21 in a few months :D It's just that I'll be 19 when I apply

Woah.. didn't actually realize what the OP meant until now... a sub-20 year old med student?! that's insane

I like where this thread is going, moar, etc.

Also, those <21 scores aren't anything special. Stats much?

Just because someone is younger, does not necessarily mean they were rushing high school and college. I know someone who skipped a few grades, did 4 years of undergrad, took a year off, and will be 19 when starting med school. I think younger people can have an interesting outlook on life as well. I hate to be cliche right now, but age is only a number. And just because someone younger has had different life experiences (hate that word) than you, does not mean that you have had more because you are older.