Aiming for M.D Neurology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globalmobile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know the chances of matching into an Internal Medicine M.D Residency, to go into Neurology eventually, in regards to D.O school versus M.D school?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it be so low? I heard Neurology residencies are not that competitive, even, because not many want to go into it. If my board scores are as good as the competitors for the residency, then why would my percentage would be so low?

Unless this is what you call a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, hey just worry about getting into school first and then doing well while you're there. You'll probably change your mind a million times while in school and on rotations.

Neuro is not real competitive if your a decent student (MD or DO) you'll probably be able to get a spot somewhere.

Wow, hey just worry about getting into school first and then doing well while you're there. You'll probably change your mind a million times while in school and on rotations.

Neuro is not real competitive if your a decent student (MD or DO) you'll probably be able to get a spot somewhere.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I've heard that I'll change my mind a lot. I guess I just wanted to know about it in terms of D.O school, since it's a new world for me.

I wanted to know the chances of matching into an Internal Medicine M.D Residency, to go into Neurology eventually, in regards to D.O school versus M.D school?

Thank you very much!

For Neuro, you generally do a pre-lim year and then Neurology after that, instead of 3 years IM and 3 of neuro.

Either way, your rate of matching from a DO school is going to be very, very high. I'd even say it is approaching 100%. What program you can reach for is a different story but if your end goal is to be a neurologist and go to an MD residency, you should have no problem from a DO school

For Neuro, you generally do a pre-lim year and then Neurology after that, instead of 3 years IM and 3 of neuro.

Either way, your rate of matching from a DO school is going to be very, very high. I'd even say it is approaching 100%. What program you can reach for is a different story but if your end goal is to be a neurologist and go to an MD residency, you should have no problem from a DO school

Thanks a lot for your reply!! I'm glad that to hear that I'm on the right track :D