Nov 21, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I have been trying to contact the Health Services Air Force recruiter (in GA) regarding application for the Air Force, and I have had trouble just getting someone to respond to my messages and emails.

Does anyone know if the Air Force is not accepting applications for this fiscal year? I have contacted the Army and they are all over me, but I would prefer to join the Air Force. The Army is offering great intensives (120k student debt repayment for a 3 year commitment), and as of now I have no idea what the Air Force has to offer.

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I have been trying to contact the Health Services Air Force recruiter (in GA) regarding application for the Air Force, and I have had trouble just getting someone to respond to my messages and emails.

Does anyone know if the Air Force is not accepting applications for this fiscal year? I have contacted the Army and they are all over me, but I would prefer to join the Air Force. The Army is offering great intensives (120k student debt repayment for a 3 year commitment), and as of now I have no idea what the Air Force has to offer.

Thanks!
The Air Force offers the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP). One, two, or three-year scholarships that pay all tuition and fees as well as offer a monthly stipend of around $2,000. Minimum active duty commitment of 3 years post graduation.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks!
What is your beef with the Army? Why the AF preference? Do you think being an AF pharmacist is different than being an Army pharmacist or a Navy pharmacist?

OP
T
Nov 21, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
What is your beef with the Army? Why the AF preference? Do you think being an AF pharmacist is different than being an Army pharmacist or a Navy pharmacist?
I'm about to graduate in June so the HPSP doesn't do much for me now. I'm prior Army, so I got nothing against the Army, its just that the Air Force has nicer facilities and their deployments don't tend to be as long. Air Force bases tend to be in nicer areas than Army bases as well.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
I'm about to graduate in June so the HPSP doesn't do much for me now. I'm prior Army, so I got nothing against the Army, its just that the Air Force has nicer facilities and their deployments don't tend to be as long. Air Force bases tend to be in nicer areas than Army bases as well.
Fair enough...I can tell you though that the grass isn't greener on the other side....it's about the same shade of green. Just keep in mind that the Officer/Enlisted relationships are the exact same in all three services. The computers are the exact same in all three services and the daily military bs that you will have to deal with is exactly the same in all three services and the pay is the same. As far as the AF being in nicer locations than the Army, I know the Air Force has their versions of Fort Polk and Fort Reilly like Minot, Mountain Home, Ellsworth etc. Just something to keep in mind.

As far as nicer facilities, yes the AF has nicer posts but I think it's a stretch to say they have nicer hospitals. I'd say the AF, Navy and Army are about even and the Army has more medical centers than the AF or the Navy.

One thing about AF deployments: yes they are shorter but you will deploy faster than you would in the Army or the Navy. I know people in the AF that are going on their 3rd or 4th deployment now due to the short cycles.

Also, you listed what the Army is offering you. Keep in mind that you can ask for more than that and you can also ask for a residency. I know the AF has residencies too but I don't know how their process works or if you can get them right away as a new accession.

I also understand your GA recruiter situation. I went through the same office in Georgia a few years ago (2007-8) and found them to be worthless. If your going to the ASHP conference in December, you may want to go to the AF booth there. Typcailly their pharmacy consultant will be there and can get you on the fast track to getting situated. I felt like my AF recruiter ignored me and his whole justification was "well the AF Brand sells so it makes my job easy" I was able to finally get a hold of a decent AF recruiter located in South Carolina but by that point, it was too late and I committed to the Army. I have no regrets about it.

I would also encourage you to look into the Navy. They have some good deals too and their recruiter in the South Georgia/Northern Florida area will be beating down your door like the Army recruiter as well explaining to you the Navy benefits.

Good luck!

OP
T
Nov 21, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
What is a typical day like stateside and overseas for a pharmacist?

Feb 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Fair enough...I can tell you though that the grass isn't greener on the other side....it's about the same shade of green. Just keep in mind that the Officer/Enlisted relationships are the exact same in all three services. The computers are the exact same in all three services and the daily military bs that you will have to deal with is exactly the same in all three services and the pay is the same. As far as the AF being in nicer locations than the Army, I know the Air Force has their versions of Fort Polk and Fort Reilly like Minot, Mountain Home, Ellsworth etc. Just something to keep in mind.

As far as nicer facilities, yes the AF has nicer posts but I think it's a stretch to say they have nicer hospitals. I'd say the AF, Navy and Army are about even and the Army has more medical centers than the AF or the Navy.

One thing about AF deployments: yes they are shorter but you will deploy faster than you would in the Army or the Navy. I know people in the AF that are going on their 3rd or 4th deployment now due to the short cycles.

Also, you listed what the Army is offering you. Keep in mind that you can ask for more than that and you can also ask for a residency. I know the AF has residencies too but I don't know how their process works or if you can get them right away as a new accession.

I also understand your GA recruiter situation. I went through the same office in Georgia a few years ago (2007-8) and found them to be worthless. If your going to the ASHP conference in December, you may want to go to the AF booth there. Typcailly their pharmacy consultant will be there and can get you on the fast track to getting situated. I felt like my AF recruiter ignored me and his whole justification was "well the AF Brand sells so it makes my job easy" I was able to finally get a hold of a decent AF recruiter located in South Carolina but by that point, it was too late and I committed to the Army. I have no regrets about it.

I would also encourage you to look into the Navy. They have some good deals too and their recruiter in the South Georgia/Northern Florida area will be beating down your door like the Army recruiter as well explaining to you the Navy benefits.

Good luck!
This is some awesome insight, thank you. I wish the Army had more scholarships, but from what I can find they only have post-graduation incentives. If I don't get awarded the AF or Navy scholarships, I will certainly look into the Army when that time comes.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
What is a typical day like stateside and overseas for a pharmacist?
Typical day just depends on your job just like anywhere else in pharmacy. If you work outpatient, you can reasonably expect to be at work from 8-5, 8-6, 9-6 or whatever your schedule dictates. If you do inpatient, you maybe be there for a night shift, overnight, whatever. You may also have military responsibilities every now and then as well. It's not hard.