Air Force Air Force doing away with ABUs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HungryHungryLion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oct 1 the OCP phase begins. MS1s are pretty bummed they dropped all that money on uniforms and boots they'll hardly use. Does anyone have any more insight on how this will be implemented across rotations/interviews, AMP, etc? Asking for a friend.

It's Official: The Air Force Is Switching to the Army's OCP Uniform

Members don't see this ad.

"spice brown" lol

I remember many years ago being forced to buy a phased out uniform to clear out the Newport NEX inventory. They had the new one on hand but marched us in to buy the old one. Its just a little "spice brown" taste of your future.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Responding to an old(er) thread. Your ABUs are authorized until 15 Jun 21. No one is going to think less of you if you show up in them versus OCP. Personally, I'm wearing OCPs as I write this because I hated the ABUs. But they are still acceptable. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do the Navy and Air Force have camouflaged uniforms? It's not like they will be in the field, with some exceptions?

Why do the Navy and Air Force have camouflaged uniforms? It's not like they will be in the field, with some exceptions?

The crs and nsw/nso guys wear the type IIIs on deployment. I guess it helps the blend in with the gross water.

We wear blue coveralls underway in the surface/sub fleet. The camo is just to make us feel more military when we’re in port I guess. We’re ditching the aquaflage though.

Responding to an old(er) thread. Your ABUs are authorized until 15 Jun 21. No one is going to think less of you if you show up in them versus OCP. Personally, I'm wearing OCPs as I write this because I hated the ABUs. But they are still acceptable. Don't sweat it.
I appreciate the response, I was hoping I didn't have to drop more money on getting things ready for the rotation/interview season.

The avocado farmer getup is much, much more comfortable than the aquaflage. Being outdoors in the sun in that blue thing was miserable.
Not to mention getting washed off the weather decks, and being unable to be seen in the water, the exact one time you want to be clearly obvious!

Reactions: 1 user
As a side-note:

Leaving base to pick up my kid and found myself standing next to a couple of Air Force seniors wearing the OCPs just like mine (Army). Couldn’t read the orange name-tape but one of them did care to say to me “I look better than you.” As he graciously walked away ...

So, I suppose the money to buy the new Air Force OCPs must be worth it seeing he looked nothing but comfortable and proud of it lol.