Air Force GME Match Results 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozziewan

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
15 December is almost upon us!

Please post your AF GME training location, and specialty, also the time you found out so we can get a nice record of this ridiculously elusive process.

Good Luck Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

We had a problem with this on the board last year. Someone posted the file which listed everyone's name and specialty matched as well as other identifying info like SSNs. All the info you'd need to crack hundreds of physicians' bank accounts: it was an identity thief's wet dream.

Everyone, feel free to post information about your own success, but please restrict whatever information you share to just your own. Good luck!

We had a problem with this on the board last year. Someone posted the file which listed everyone's name and specialty matched as well as other identifying info like SSNs. All the info you'd need to crack hundreds of physicians' bank accounts: it was an identity thief's wet dream.

Everyone, feel free to post information about your own success, but please restrict whatever information you share to just your own. Good luck!

I agree with this, however could someone post the information in such a way that doesn't reveal identifying info?

For instance, I'd like to know how many folks matched into each specialty (M4s if we can tell) and what number matched PGY-1 only with flight surgery on the horizon.

Members don't see this ad :)

The results are no longer posted because of the reasons you mention.
That is one reason why I started the thread. :)
The last year the full results were posted on the AF GME site was the Class of 2009 Match year.

PGY-1 Preliminary Medicine Wright-Patt.

:thumbup::cool::D;):)

EM Deferred Now I have to wait again till march

Transitional Year, Civillian Deferred

Quick question for you HPSP students who have been through the match process:

I will be starting med school next fall and am seriously considering the HPSP. I have read everything I can and talked to whoever I can about it, but want some info from you guys. I really want to do neurology, so here is my understanding:

I can apply for the competitive military neurology residency and then apply for civilian deferment, so if I don't get the military residency, then I can still do neurology. That way I don't get placed in a specialty that I don't want to do. Is this correct?

Also, if you were in my shoes, would you do the HPSP again?

Thanks for ANY advice!

I will be starting med school next fall and am seriously considering the HPSP. I have read everything I can and talked to whoever I can about it, but want some info from you guys. I really want to do neurology, so here is my understanding:

I can apply for the competitive military neurology residency and then apply for civilian deferment, so if I don't get the military residency, then I can still do neurology. That way I don't get placed in a specialty that I don't want to do. Is this correct?

Thanks for ANY advice!

I think this is false. I just went through the match process. If, in your year, the military decides they don't need as many neurologists as those who've applied, they can stick you in a field you didn't necessarily want (but that you've designated on your application). In the Navy (I'm not sure what the other services are like), you pick the 3 locations where your field trains (NMCP, NMCSD, NNMC) and then you can rank anything fourth (including civilian deferment), but in spot 5, you have to pick (if I remember correctly) FM, IM, or Psych. You can't submit the application without it being complete, and it's not complete until spot 5 is filled in, which is how they get around "sticking you in a field you didn't want" because YOU put it in that spot (because you HAD to put it).

I think this is false. I just went through the match process. If, in your year, the military decides they don't need as many neurologists as those who've applied, they can stick you in a field you didn't necessarily want (but that you've designated on your application). In the Navy (I'm not sure what the other services are like), you pick the 3 locations where your field trains (NMCP, NMCSD, NNMC) and then you can rank anything fourth (including civilian deferment), but in spot 5, you have to pick (if I remember correctly) FM, IM, or Psych. You can't submit the application without it being complete, and it's not complete until spot 5 is filled in, which is how they get around "sticking you in a field you didn't want" because YOU put it in that spot (because you HAD to put it).

They can force you to take an internship (but this doesn't really matter for someone who wants a field that starts with PGY2) and they won't promise residency. But, if your heart is set on neuro (you may well change your mind) and you didn't get it: you could do internship, GMO, and then get out for a civilian neuro residency.

No one is ever forced to do a residency they don't want. You can choose to delay training. That can be a painful trade but its always an option.

Thanks for ANY advice!

There is a fair number of threads already dealing with the information you are asking for. please do a search and find them. This thread is for current AF HPSP students to post their Match results and act as a list of said information for current students.

Quick answer to your post: You apply for an AF residency in Neurology, one of your Rank Order options is Civilian Deferment. You can elect for a 2nd choice specialty as part of your application package. For example, if you want Neurology as 1st choice and Internal Medicine 2nd you would simply fill out your application accordingly. If you match to Neuro (Air Force Active Duty or Civilian Deferred) you will not have to worry about your 2nd choice. If you do not match to Neurology you'll either match to your 2nd choice or a Transitional Year. From this point there are a few iterations of possibilities. Ideally you will not be "forced" into some specialty you do not want. You will however be put where Uncle Sam wants you. If you want Neuro, Uncle Sam wants you in Neuro = Match! If not...well, better luck next time.

Word to the wise, civilian deferment is always an option so MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUR ERAS/Civilian Applications in addition to the Air Force Match application. You do not want to have December 15th roll around, get a Civilian Deferment and not have applied to ANY civilian programs.

Answer to your last question: Would I do HPSP again...No, I would go for the National Health Service Corp scholarship or mega loans, not HPSP.

regardless of what is posted and who is responding. it's "this has been talked about in other posts" it's a broken record