Originally posted by JKDMed
When does the first board meet? I will be applying to AF and Navy this year, and would like a good time to get the ball rolling. Basically, when should I make contact with the AF HPSP recruiter? June?
Originally posted by bbawco1
for everyone waiting, I just found out today. He also said that he believed there was a 100% acceptance for the people applying with the first board....so good luck to all
Originally posted by militarymd
gee, I wonder why there are so few applicants?
Originally posted by bbawco1
could we for once, please not hijack this thread too with the same stuff I've heard on every other military thread
If this is true, this is a relief to read. I am going to the second board for the AF. Of course I am very excited for everyone selected! But when I read here that there was 100% acceptance I was getting really nervous that there would be no AF scholarships left. My recuriter told me that three years ago there were enough applications from the first board so they didn't even look at the second board's applications.Originally posted by Demosthenes_7
I heard that there were only 72 applications for 250 spots at the first board.
Originally posted by Homunculus
because the military is evil, EVIL!!! Flag officers are teh suxxor!!
lol. i can't imagine what it must be like to work with you. are you this negative in real life?
Originally posted by Moneybee
First of all congratulations to all who got in, I was told 70+ out of 140 got the scholarship.
Anyway I have a major dillema and want to know if someone could please help. I have been admitted and given a seat to a super cheap osteopathic state school and also have an interview later this month to a expensive private MD school in Boston that sounds like "Tough." I also was given the full scholarship by the AF board this round. My problem is that I only want to take the scholarship if I get into the expensive Boston school, but I will not find out until May 15 if I got accepted. It is definitely a bad deal for me over my lifetime if I take the AF scholarship to the cheap state school. The recruiter and the AF need a final decision by this upcoming Tuesday and so, I have two main options....
1. I can turn down the 4y scholarship and also torpedo any and all future chances of getting a 3Y scholarship from the AF (or so the recruiter says).
I think that is not true unless they no longer offer the 3 year scholarship....don't trust the recruiter. There is no reason why you can not get a 3 year scholarship. However, realize that even thouth it is a 3 year scholarship, through the vagaries of how you incur obligation, count on being on AD for more than 3 years.
2. Or that I can sign the 4y scholarship, not go to COT, and if I get rejected from my Boston school, just "haggle" with AFIT to get out of my contract before I get any money or COT training from the AF (or so the ex-recruiter says).
I would not recommend this course of action. If you sign, you are making a committment...you should go through with it regardless of where you wind up for school.
3. Ask to be assigned as an alternate to the second AF scholarship board, and risk losing my scholarship just to delay the decision a while (NOT recommended by the recruiter).
Once again, I would not trust your recruiter, they have a vested interest in getting you to sign ASAP.
Has anyone ever heard of someone doing option # 2 before?
Are there any negative consequences to it?
I really want to know what yall' think or would do. I am really running out of time (3 days left), and I just wish the AF could delay the whole procedure to May so that it would be easier on those of us applying to some private schools.
Hit me back with your reply. Peace.