Air Force HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pro-Dentite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of dental school and recently I've become interested in learning a little more about the Air Force HPSP program. So I've got a few questions and I'd appreciate any answers that you may have.

Do they offer a two-year program?

How much say do you have in where you go and for how long? I think it would be a fun experience to live in Japan for a year, then Germany for a year, etc.

What is the living situation like? Do you have "off-base" housing?

How competitive is it to get the scholarship?

What is the pay like?

How soon do I have to decide to apply for this to be able to get it for the last two years of dental school?

I have other questions, but this is all that's coming to mind off the top of my head right now.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pro-Dentite said:
I just finished my first year of dental school and recently I've become interested in learning a little more about the Air Force HPSP program. So I've got a few questions and I'd appreciate any answers that you may have.

Do they offer a two-year program?

How much say do you have in where you go and for how long? I think it would be a fun experience to live in Japan for a year, then Germany for a year, etc.

What is the living situation like? Do you have "off-base" housing?

How competitive is it to get the scholarship?

What is the pay like?

How soon do I have to decide to apply for this to be able to get it for the last two years of dental school?

I have other questions, but this is all that's coming to mind off the top of my head right now.

Thanks.

MINIMUM committment is three years of active duty. A two year scholarship will get you three years of active duty. Better to have them pay for the next three years if you still can. Obligation is the same.

Armed forces ask your request where you want to go, but the ultimate decision is theirs. Their needs come before yours. Expect three years at each duty station. Not efficient to move someone every year.

Housing is sometimes available, but you probably have the option to take it (if it's available) or live away from post/base.

Air Force is probably the most competitive of the three branches, but not too tough to get into.

Pay is probably around $60K with benefits (full medical and stuff).

Apply early for the scholarship. You want to make sure you're in the first round of selection boards.

JKM

jmillo is 100% correct with the info he provided. I'm on the 2 year scholarship and I'll be paying back 3 years of active duty. If you just finished your 1st year it is already too late to get the 3 year scholarship for 3 years of active duty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that we have a pretty good say in where we are stationed but places that are in high demand like Germany are clearly harder to get as a junior officer. Also, you have to go to Commissioned Officer Training (COT) which I am just finishing up...lots of fun :D

Sorry to hijack the thread... but I have a couple of questions.

When you say the scholarship is competitive, how competitive? Like 3.8 24 on the DAT competitive?

Since you said the Air force was the most competitive of the 3, can you apply for 2 at the same time?

I was interested in these scholarships as well, still contemplating to take the Navy 4 year or not. From what I know, you can apply to more than one at a time, there isn't any rule that says you can't, however most people pick their own branch of service based upon personal reasons. I think the three programs, Navy, AirForce, and Army are fairly similar. All pay 100% of your tuition in return for service as a commissioned officer (not too bad...atleast you won't be a grunt) and I think all give over $1270 a month addressed in a check made out to you, and only you. The AirForce scholarship is probably the most competitive, those get taken the fastest. The Navy and Army are killing for dentists and anything above a 3.0 and 18 on the DAT will probably land you admission granted you aren't crazy. From a financial viewpoint, if you are attending an expensive private school and hesitant to take out loans, it is definitely an option to think about.

You would be interested in the SDN dental thread, "Did I just get scammed by the Air Force"