airlines vs airlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homoochan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between Delta, United and Continental airline..

Any recommendations please?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to have to give more information than that.

I'd say go with whatever is cheapest. Most airlines have gone to crap and don't offer anything extra.

Whichever one crashes the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest Southwest and Jet Blue. Both are discount carriers, and there service is somewhat limited in terms of the cities they service, but SW gives you 2 checked bags for free, I think Jet Blue also allows free bags. Depending on where ya go, you can save $100.

I suggest Southwest and Jet Blue. Both are discount carriers, and there service is somewhat limited in terms of the cities they service, but SW gives you 2 checked bags for free, I think Jet Blue also allows free bags. Depending on where ya go, you can save $100.

Word of advice from an experienced traveler for work. Do not CHECK bags, carry on only. If you absolutely have to check a bag, wear your suit on the plane.

Southwest generally has the cheapest flights by at least a hundred bucks, and they allow a checked bag for free.

If they don't fly where you need to go, go with whoever is cheapest.

Southwest generally has the cheapest flights by at least a hundred bucks.

If they don't fly where you need to go, go with whoever is cheapest.

Only if you book really far in advance though.

I'd go with United. Dunno why, I think they've just screwed me over the least out of the three.

Cheapest = best. Unless you plan on accumulating miles on any alliance airline. Oh and don't fly on a DC-9.

Use http://www.kayak.com

I agree. Find the cheapest possible option. Look for regional/low cost carriers instead of big national ones.

As for the DC-9, I don't think they're in service in America anymore except with Northwest Airlines.

Delta sucks, in my experience.

And I agree with whoever posted above and said not to check bags. Just bring a small suitcase to put in the overhead bins. It's really not worth it chancing the airline losing your luggage if you're only going for a couple days.

Nothing but good things to say about Jet Blue.

so can we carry on shaving cream, razor, and toothpaste now? i havent flown in a while =(

so can we carry on shaving cream, razor, and toothpaste now? i havent flown in a while =(

Could also buy those as disposable items at your destination if you can't carry on. Even most airports carry those items.

Members don't see this ad :)

For domestic flights, I've only had experience with Delta and Continental. I happen to love Continental, I've never had a problem with them, and I have my frequent-flyer account through them. I'm not a huge fan of Houston's airport (which is probably where you'll connect if you're anywhere near the south, otherwise probably newark or something). The airport is really nice, but it isn't really well organized so you have to walk really far between flights, which sucks when you have a cold. Continental also gives pretty good snacks (not just pretzels or some crap like that, real food) on flights longer than 2 hours or so, which is really uncommon these days.

If you fly Delta domestically, you should also be fine. Service isn't as good, but I never had a problem connecting through Atlanta. But then I flew internationally with Delta, with a connection through JFK, and it was a total disaster. Took us 60 hrs to get to where we were going, they refused to put us up in a hotel room, they switched one of our bags with someone else's bag so it ended up going somewhere else, in the process of looking for the bag they lost they lost another bag, and yeah, it was such a nightmare. Basically if you have to connect through JFK (or any other NYC airport, avoid it).

I actually flew Delta most of this past year (since I could accrue Continental miles with delta. This won't be true after Oct 27th since Continental is leaving SkyTeam, which is basically Delta and Northwest in the US, and is joining Star Alliance, which is basically United and US Air). I'm really going to miss those cookies they give you. They're nothing fancy, just some spice cookies, but idk, I miss them.

I flew United to China last year, it was fine I guess, the plane was gross though. But the domestic legs of the trip were very nice (and they have this channel on their seat radio that lets you listen to the pilots' communication with the air traffic controllers. it's kind of cool)

But just buy the cheapest ticket. It also depends on where you live and where you're going. Last year, I lived in a city that was only served by Delta, Northwest, Continental, and American. American was always the most expensive (except when I went to Dallas), so I basically never flew American. For most flights, I found the cheapest ticket.

I'm a huge nerd and as such, a big Google fan but Microsoft's Bing search engine has landed me some pretty outrageous deals. Go to Bing.com and click on the 'Travel' link. Southwest usually wins by a few dollars, but if you're flying somewhere that's a ways from the closest Southwest hub it's a good bet.

if your local airport has a airline hub, it will probly be the cheapest

When you're flying for under 2 hours, they are all exactly the same. Just find the cheapest direct flight (or few stopovers) online.

Don't fly United. I've had a few bad experiences, including flight cancellation and gum on the seats (yes, I ended up sitting on gum). Delta and Continental are decent though, with Delta probably being my favorite

Don't fly United. I've had a few bad experiences, including flight cancellation and gum on the seats (yes, I ended up sitting on gum). Delta and Continental are decent though, with Delta probably being my favorite
Personal experience (purely anecdotal):

United --> Horrible experience every time, honestly.
Delta --> Decent experience every time, for a US airline
AA --> Decent experience
SWA --> Only good things
NW --> Decent, although their planes are shi**y in regional airports (turboprops), though now they have combined with delta.

That's about it. I usually fly delta with few problems. United usually overbooks their planes and you may not get a seat even if you booked several months in advance. They cancelled an 8hr flight on me without any notification once, had to scramble to get on the only other flight that day back to the US. Also, they only provide drinks and no snacks (not even peanuts). Delta usually provides airplane peanuts at least. I have usually had delays with United as well, but that is part plane-related problems and part horrible airports (EWR anyone).

Never check your bag with something you need in it. It will get lost.

I wouldn't base your decision on a few random reviews. I'd most definitely choose the cheapest option, because in the end, you're going to sit uncomfortably on a crappy seat regardless of the airline.

Oh, and the DC-9 is an incredibly safe airplane.

I wouldn't base your decision on a few random reviews. I'd most definitely choose the cheapest option, because in the end, you're going to sit uncomfortably on a crappy seat regardless of the airline.

Oh, and the DC-9 is an incredibly safe airplane.

Agree with advice

The DC-9 has great past performance. It does not predict future results. There is a reason why airlines don't fly them anymore. The only carrier still using them is NWA, who is aggressively phasing them out. NWA's DC-9 equipment is extremely old, average age 35 years. Yes, maintenance keeps them flying, but the aluminum fuselage can only handle so many pressure cycles. Some legacy pilots refuse to fly them. My vote is no.

I ended up having alot of interviews. So what I did was fly my favorite airline (Continental...it is the BEST airline...at least in terms of in-flight service) so I would earn miles towards elite status.

I ended up earning elite status...and now for the rest of the year, in addition to next year, I will upgraded to first class for free, do not pay fees for checked bags, and earn bonus mileage every time I fly Continental.

:thumbup:
Agree with advice

The DC-9 has great past performance. It does not predict future results. There is a reason why airlines don't fly them anymore. The only carrier still using them is NWA, who is aggressively phasing them out. NWA's DC-9 equipment is extremely old, average age 35 years. Yes, maintenance keeps them flying, but the aluminum fuselage can only handle so many pressure cycles. Some legacy pilots refuse to fly them. My vote is no.

yep....:thumbup:....and since Delta acquired NWA they will be restructuring their fleet to make it more streamlined and easier to maintain.

I personally hate DC-9's and MD-80's (the entire series)

I ended up buying Delta tickets which was $235 + tax CDN

Continental was $330 + tax

The last time i took Delta airlines i ended up delayed by hours (not due to weather issues, but due to their poor management and overbooking). I was taken to another airport while my bags ended up on a different plane than mine which arrived much later than my already late plane.

I promised never to take Delta airlines again.

I ended up buying Delta tickets which was $235 + tax CDN

Continental was $330 + tax

actually I just checked my flight history and I did take delta or northwest sometimes...but since they are all part of "Sky Team" all of my earned miles were transferable to continental"

Delta and Northwest SUCK though!

Continental FTW!!!!

Virgin America and Jet Blue are not bad either...awesome entertainment systems

Oh man.. anyone with GOOD delta experience?

It would suck really bad if I miss my interview because of flight delay

The only variance in terms of service comes into play strictly in long haul flights. Most National flights are all the same, on any airline.

Oh man.. anyone with GOOD delta experience?

It would suck really bad if I miss my interview because of flight delay

Nothing horrible comes to mind when I try to think of my Delta flights. They were fine and I made my interviews on time. I only didn't like my international Delta flights, because their planes and service were sub-standard for those trips (usually flew other airlines but decided to try Delta to build up miles I could use for Domestic flights).

im bumping up this thread since its just what i was going to ask for my interview! sooo i gotta hurry up in booking my flight since i am at the one month towards my trip and i was originally thinking of enrolling in the mileage thing and just book united for everytime i travel, buttt i just checked and virgin america offers the cheapest flight by $100 and everything else just keeps getting more and more expensive.. i am willing to spend a little more just for the peace of mind (i have never been to east coast and thats where ill be going!) sooo any advice? i only saw virgin america mentioned once, anyone had any bad experience with them? also does the mileage thing compensate for the difference in price at the end? thanks in advance =)

im bumping up this thread since its just what i was going to ask for my interview! sooo i gotta hurry up in booking my flight since i am at the one month towards my trip and i was originally thinking of enrolling in the mileage thing and just book united for everytime i travel, buttt i just checked and virgin america offers the cheapest flight by $100 and everything else just keeps getting more and more expensive.. i am willing to spend a little more just for the peace of mind (i have never been to east coast and thats where ill be going!) sooo any advice? i only saw virgin america mentioned once, anyone had any bad experience with them? also does the mileage thing compensate for the difference in price at the end? thanks in advance =)

where do you have interview at, if I may ask?

I'm a huge nerd and as such, a big Google fan but Microsoft's Bing search engine has landed me some pretty outrageous deals. Go to Bing.com and click on the 'Travel' link. Southwest usually wins by a few dollars, but if you're flying somewhere that's a ways from the closest Southwest hub it's a good bet.

this. and you can subscribe to it. so bing will email you the price patterns daily

Boston and Virginia but i think for virginia united is the cheapest and they are all around the same price..

how about you?

I booked case western and CCLMC through Delta (a bit worried because of Delta's bad rep)

I'm thinking flying to Boston through Continental it's only $210 which is cheaper than Southwest or Jet Blue.

I booked case western and CCLMC through Delta (a bit worried because of Delta's bad rep)

I'm thinking flying to Boston through Continental it's only $210 which is cheaper than Southwest or Jet Blue.

really?!! continental was more than $400 for me! r u going from cali? or it might be b/c your date is more than a month away..

really?!! continental was more than $400 for me! r u going from cali? or it might be b/c your date is more than a month away..

Flying from Seattle. Mine's on 10/7 so the cheaptest one is one leaving on 10/5 like 10pm and arrives at Boston 10/6 like 4pm or something like that.. Go on to the Continental airline website and check it out there :)

shoooooot the price just went up by almost $200!!! :(

did anyone here just book that flight? it took like 5 min and it was gone!! why why why did i have to take so long to make up my mind :smack: