Airports are very inexpensive Hotels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bermie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sleeping in airports isn't just for lay-overs. If you have to stay the night before an interview, I don't suggest sleeping in an airport. However, if you wrap up your interview and have a flight the following morning, you can usually sleep in an airport. I saved at least $100 and got four Dunkin' donuts and a coffee for free during my recent stay at JFK. I also found TSA to be very friendly at 3 am (not sarcasm). It wasn't the best sleeping situation but I saved money and I would do it again. I stumbled upon this website and found it very helpful because it gives tips about sleeping in specific airports:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
whatever happened to student hosts?

I would like to know the answer to that question as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
savage AF, i like it.

Reactions: 24 users
This is really a young person's game. It has been an awful experience every time I have done it, and I've done it more times than I'm proud to admit.

I wouldn't recommend it, but it's doable if you're really in a bind for the money or have no other option. And it happens. But I probably wouldn't do it for anything less than like $100 bucks of savings.

Reactions: 1 users
Sleeping in an airport is not

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=savage said:
Bad ass. Cool. Violent.

but it is

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/savage?s=t said:
uncivilized;barbarous

Reactions: 2 users
Sleeping in airports isn't just for lay-overs. If you have to stay the night before an interview, I don't suggest sleeping in an airport. However, if you wrap up your interview and have a flight the following morning, you can usually sleep in an airport. I saved at least $100 and got four Dunkin' donuts and a coffee for free during my recent stay at JFK. I also found TSA to be very friendly at 3 am (not sarcasm). It wasn't the best sleeping situation but I saved money and I would do it again. I stumbled upon this website and found it very helpful because it gives tips about sleeping in specific airports:

It's not worth it. Someone can draw on your face with a marker while you're sleeping.

Reactions: 2 users
or you could just schedule your flight the evening of your interview..

Members don't see this ad :)
Early morning flights were much cheaper and stressing about making it back to the airport to catch your flight during a school interview/tour isn't fun. I could tell by fellow interviewees that were worried the whole time about missing their flights. I'm not saying this is some super awesome idea, just thought I would help out some fellow interviewees that are trying to save a buck and happen to be in the situation I was in.

or you could just schedule your flight the evening of your interview..
I did that one too many times. I've had to run from an interview, through an airport terminal while barely making my flight out. Other times, I simply was too tired, and attending work as well as class the next day was a stretch. I would not recommend it unless you know for sure that your interview day is ending early, and you have enough time to get to the airport without overexerting yourself.

I did that one too many times. I've had to run from an interview, through an airport terminal while barely making my flight out. Other times, I simply was too tired, and attending work as well as class the next day was a stretch. I would not recommend it unless you know for sure that your interview day is ending early, and you have enough time to get to the airport without overexerting yourself.
I always picked a later flight time and it worked out well, though I did get back really late. and for the people still in school, it's usually difficult to get excused from classes/exams for the day after interviews anyways (it was for me at least)

if you drink enough beer, any place can be a hotel room

Reactions: 7 users
I almost did this for a 14 hr layover at Newark but decided it was a sure fire way to have my luggage stolen.

My personal trainer GF has me condition to be like, "3 donuts? You didn't get nearly enough protein."

Or you can pull an allnighter and sleep on the plane? :shrug:

Slept in the Bangkok airport twice when I was backpacking through Asia. Saved a bunch of money and time, and met some cool people.

Or, you could be like me and get no IIs to anywhere but your state schools so you can drive everywhere! That's a great way to save $!

There's like nowhere comfy to sleep. Dang armrests between seats.

Last edited:
That sounds cheap and stupid. Airports are okay but unless you're extremely cash strapped I don't see why you would do this

Well the application process is expensive. Like I said, for those that are trying to save a buck it isn't stupid. And the resource I provided is nothing but helpful. Not sure why this is getting that much push back? If you have the dough for a hotel, awesome. If you want to save money, this option is completely legitimate.

You think the boys who stormed the beach at Normandy had somewhere comfy to sleep, you Commie?
Dang you got me ;) Although interviewing is nowhere near as noble as that.

Well the application process is expensive. Like I said, for those that are trying to save a buck it isn't stupid. And the resource I provided is nothing but helpful. Not sure why this is getting that much push back? If you have the dough for a hotel, awesome. If you want to save money, this option is completely legitimate.

I tried to do this but didn't realize the airport was incredibly small and shut down at night -_- If you are flying into a smaller city, double check that the airport is 24 hours.

Slept in the Bangkok airport twice when I was backpacking through Asia. Saved a bunch of money and time, and met some cool people.

Same deal, with a sleeping bag. Got a full eight hours and slept like a baby. Total cost of our stay was the price of iced coffees the next morning. NO RAGRETS.

Basically I did as @Lost in Translation suggested, but slept in the airport for double savings.

I've had to do this only once. And it was more excruciating than the airplane ride itself because of my bodily proportion.
baby-giraffe-sleeping-1.jpg

Or you could hook up with your student host/some random person so that they let you sleep at their place for free

That sounds cheap and stupid. Airports are okay but unless you're extremely cash strapped I don't see why you would do this

If it saves you money, why wouldn't you do it? I'll do anything to save a buck

There's like nowhere comfy to sleep. Dang armrests between seats.

Yeah this was the problem for me. I was forced to sleep in the Denver airport during my app cycle and every single damn chair in the place had a fixed armrest. And I cannot sleep sitting up, so had to resort to sleeping on the (extremely hard) floor.

...never again, and certainly not voluntarily.

edit: Not to mention you have to sleep with one eye open so that your luggage doesn't get jacked.

Yeah this was the problem for me. I was forced to sleep in the Denver airport during my app cycle and every single damn chair in the place had a fixed armrest. And I cannot sleep sitting up, so had to resort to sleeping on the (extremely hard) floor.

...never again, and certainly not voluntarily.

edit: Not to mention you have to sleep with one eye open so that your luggage doesn't get jacked.
Welp you nailed the airport I was talking about.

It's only cheaper if you don't stumble into the bar...

I'm not sure what tips you would need, beyond:
- airlines have those little plane blankets behind their desks if you ask nicely, and they're warmer than they look
- if you fall asleep, make sure your bag is all wrapped up in your limbs so nobody can worm things (aka your computer if you brought one) out of it.

I found it pretty useful. For example they have reviews on which terminals are quieter, warmer, have softer floors etc. It is also useful to see if it is even possible. Like someone mentioned they were surprised that there airport wasn't open 24 hours. When you are at an airport as big as JFK for the night, having feedback from fellow travelers is helpful.

I found it pretty useful. For example they have reviews on which terminals are quieter, warmer, have softer floors etc. It is also useful to see if it is even possible. Like someone mentioned they were surprised that there airport wasn't open 24 hours. When you are at an airport as big as JFK for the night, having feedback from fellow travelers is helpful.
Ah. I don't tend to care about noise or floor softness, so it didn't occur to me. When I sleep in airports it always just kinda...happens, I guess :laugh:

Dood! Suvarnabhumi is a nice airport :) I've actually slept in there on two occasions as well. In another aiport I brought a backpacking pad and a sleeping bag and that was definitely the best way to do it :p

Last edited:

Hey I'm super poor myself and up to my knees in credit card debt from this cycle, not saying I would pull the trigger and absolutely do it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. DO YOU BOO BOO

I just think some people on this site can't imagine mommy and daddy not making sure they are nestled in a cozy bed in a hotel for each and every visit.

Ugh.......
anyway thanks @Bermie ! I'll be sure to use the site next time. It even suggested cheap vip lounge rooms as an alternative which I'll totally consider next time I travel.
Possible free food, sleeping rooms, and showers sound LEGIT. : D

Man, in Chicago O'Hare and JFK NY, people are gonna do a hell of a lot more to your face than just draw on it.
Slept in both, nobody came near my face.