Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know all you guys will have some luck too! :luck:

I'm still shaking a little..
 
what is this luck thing you speak of?

I've been doing a little research on wikipedia, and this "luck" seems to have some sort of intimate correlation with the green four lobed emoticon that is often used when describing it.

Also, congratulations Chemnerd. Now go out and have a beer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else gotten this email from South? I filed my fafsa earlier, and I was wondering if this is a possible sign of acceptance or just an email everyone gets? Paranoid, I know. :laugh:

I got the same email earlier this week. Congrats on the acceptance.
 
Received notice in one message with subject line: "UASOM Residency" that my application for residency was approved, and that I remained under consideration.

A few minutes later, received message with subject line: "UASOM Acceptance".

Best of luck to those of you still waiting; here's to you also seeing those words in your Gmail inbox soon.

See you in Birmingham.

That's awesome. Hopefully the same will happen for me; I have an application for AL residency pending right now.

Congrats!
 
Could those of you who, like myself, have NOT been accepted to UAB yet but HAVE interviewed with the school please do me a quick favor? Go to your secondary application homepage and click "Pay Your Deposit Online." Report back with what the screen says when you do that.

Just curious....
 
You may not pay your deposit until your legal state has been confirmed by the admissions office.

I'm not sure if this means your status as either accepted or not, or if it means your state of residence. If it's the latter, then there's a problem, since I've lived in Alabama all my life.
 
yeah mine says that too... and I have lived in birmingham my whole life.. save 4 years at Auburn.


man this is the kind of time when I wish I could still play football... talk about a good source of tackling fuel.
 
man this is the kind of time when I wish I could still play football... talk about a good source of tackling fuel.

Hey--it's never too late. I'm not sure what time of year the high school teams around here do spring practice, but at my school we did it March. Two weeks of nothing but Oklahoma, angle-tackling drills, and sled-pushing. I say you take your frustration over to Mountain Brook High and start dead-roaching the freshmen. Hell, I may even join you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If one of my interviews at South AL ends up being outside the main campus, does that mean it will definitely be at the Medical Center, or could it also be on the midtown campus or the West Mobile campus?

I believe most people had to drive to a hospital to their interviewer's office.
 
If one of my interviews at South AL ends up being outside the main campus, does that mean it will definitely be at the Medical Center, or could it also be on the midtown campus or the West Mobile campus?

All of my interviews were off campus! I can't remember the names of the buildings but they were a pretty good ways from the school. Not to worry though, they give you good maps and directions!
 
hey guys,

so I just heard that while the admissions committee was in the process of making final decisions they will not complete the class until late March/early April. So if you don't hear anything this week it isn't the end of the world.
 
hey guys,

so I just heard that while the admissions committee was in the process of making final decisions they will not complete the class until late March/early April. So if you don't hear anything this week it isn't the end of the world.


UAB:

There was an AdCom meeting yesterday. One wave of acceptances should be sent out next week. This will be followed by another wave of accept/reject the following week and the waitlist. Hope this helps.

Be excited, we might find out next week!

These two bits of information kind of seem to contradict one another. I am just sick of waiting. I wish we could be given a definitive date. Even if it was in the middle of April or something, I just want to know what date to expect some news.

Hey VanBrown, I saw where you met with Dean Smith a couple of years ago for a post-rejection interview. Were you able to meet with him early enough in the summer so that you could address what you needed to before the next application cycle? If I have to go through this application crap again, I just wanted to see if I would have time to address anything (assuming its not grades) over the summer in time to re-apply for the very next cycle.
 
I met with him in May sometime... but, really it isn't very helpful if you plan to apply again immediately. I needed to take like 20+ hours of class and make all As (which I have done, acceptance please?) which can't be done in a summer.

The meeting was pretty nice though he was pretty straightforward about what I should be focusing on.
 
These two bits of information kind of seem to contradict one another. I am just sick of waiting. I wish we could be given a definitive date. Even if it was in the middle of April or something, I just want to know what date to expect some news.

Hey VanBrown, I saw where you met with Dean Smith a couple of years ago for a post-rejection interview. Were you able to meet with him early enough in the summer so that you could address what you needed to before the next application cycle? If I have to go through this application crap again, I just wanted to see if I would have time to address anything (assuming its not grades) over the summer in time to re-apply for the very next cycle.


yeah it seems so..

I see it this way. UAB oversubscribes their class by a bit every year knowing that they will have attrition down below 176 and then they will see waitlist movement. I think the majority of files will be given their final consideration this week/early next week but there will be some files that take a bit longer to examine and require more work by the committee. So some people will hear soon and some will hear a bit later... given the info that we have gathered. Hopefully we all get some good news.
 
HangInThere.gif-757240.jpg
 
I'm in a similar situation. My GPA is a little on the low side, so I plan to go back to school in the fall in I don't receive an acceptance. The thought of skipping an entire application cycle is kinda scary, though, especially knowing my MCAT score will be good for only one more cycle if I do so. If I can meet with Dean Smith and Mark Scott in May, then maybe I can address everything non-grade related this summer and re-apply, but that may not be advised.
 
These two bits of information kind of seem to contradict one another. I am just sick of waiting. I wish we could be given a definitive date. Even if it was in the middle of April or something, I just want to know what date to expect some news.

Those two quotes are not, in fact, contradictory. The discrepancy comes from misinterpretation:

During the interview prep, Dean Smith made clear that updated statuses for all applicants (i.e. accept/wait list/reject) would be out by Mid/end of March. This also makes sense because they anticipate (and are wise to expect) some level of attrition, therefore, this gives them some room to offer acceptances to those at the top of the wait list before the date where people can hold only one acceptance (May 1).

(This is all conditional on me not having misinterpreted Van Brown, who may have meant that the class will not be fully subscribed till mid-April, which would definitely contradict what Dean Smith said at the interviews):

As I understand it, UAB will have accepts out to at least the number of folks for whom there are seats (which all schools have to do by May 1) done by late March (hence everyone will have accept/reject/wait list status by then) but doesn't necessarily mean that the class will be filled (since some spots will be emptied due to attrition). As I understand it, it just gives UAB a head start on finalizing it's class (because the attrition happens earlier, while other schools won't find out till May 1 who is finally coming).

Hope that explains how I understand. Cheers!
 
So do I go to my interview at South next week, and lose $600 on a planned spring break trip??

... or bank on getting into UAB, skip the interview at South, and take my chances with the drug cartels in Mexico??

Decisions, decisions...
 
So do I go to my interview at South next week, and lose $600 on a planned spring break trip??

... or bank on getting into UAB, skip the interview at South, and take my chances with the drug cartels in Mexico??

Decisions, decisions...

That's a tough one...

You could go to the interview then drive down to the beach; you'll be close anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those two quotes are not, in fact, contradictory. The discrepancy comes from misinterpretation:

During the interview prep, Dean Smith made clear that updated statuses for all applicants (i.e. accept/wait list/reject) would be out by Mid/end of March. This also makes sense because they anticipate (and are wise to expect) some level of attrition, therefore, this gives them some room to offer acceptances to those at the top of the wait list before the date where people can hold only one acceptance (May 1).

(This is all conditional on me not having misinterpreted Van Brown, who may have meant that the class will not be fully subscribed till mid-April, which would definitely contradict what Dean Smith said at the interviews):

As I understand it, UAB will have accepts out to at least the number of folks for whom there are seats (which all schools have to do by May 1) done by late March (hence everyone will have accept/reject/wait list status by then) but doesn't necessarily mean that the class will be filled (since some spots will be emptied due to attrition). As I understand it, it just gives UAB a head start on finalizing it's class (because the attrition happens earlier, while other schools won't find out till May 1 who is finally coming).

Hope that explains how I understand. Cheers!


I thought that May 15th was the day that you had to only hold one acceptance.

And like I said... UAB will accept more than 176 people and bet on loosing enough to start movement on the waitlist. I just want to hear something... specifically a good ol' acceptance.
 
Is anyone here privy to when final decisions will start to come out at South?
 
Is anyone here privy to when final decisions will start to come out at South?

Don't have my notes from the interview nearby but I think that they said that they keep a very short waitlist and most ppl on it get in; I think the last interview date is March 18. Given those things, I think it's probably wise to assume decisions will be out by early April, allowing them to finalize (accounting for attrition / waitlist shuffle) by late May.
 
last UAB interview date is tomorrow....

I have my gmail open all the time now so I can just glance by the computer and see if I have mail. Everytime I get a sale notification from brooks brothers I almost throw the computer out the window.
 
Is anyone here privy to when final decisions will start to come out at South?

I just got back in town from my interview with South Alabama. Mark Scott said that those who interviewed this week will be scored by Friday and notified early next week if they are above the current cut-off point. He also said that he anticipates lowering the cut-off point 2-3 times between now and the end of March, with acceptances going out to a few folks each week.

If I understood him correctly, no rejections will be sent out until the end of this month. As SansNom pointed out, the alternate list will be short, and Mr. Scott did say that those fortunate enough to be on that list should assume that they will be enrolling in the fall.
 
I just got back in town from my interview with South Alabama. Mark Scott said that those who interviewed this week will be scored by Friday and notified early next week if they are above the current cut-off point. He also said that he anticipates lowering the cut-off point 2-3 times between now and the end of March, with acceptances going out to a few folks each week.

If I understood him correctly, no rejections will be sent out until the end of this month. As SansNom pointed out, the alternate list will be short, and Mr. Scott did say that those fortunate enough to be on that list should assume that they will be enrolling in the fall.

So I decided to call earlier and was told that the 'score' hadn't been lowered since November. It makes me feel a little less terrible about why I haven't heard anything.
 
So I decided to call earlier and was told that the 'score' hadn't been lowered since November. It makes me feel a little less terrible about why I haven't heard anything.


That's the best news I've heard in a while. It sure does make me feel a lot better also
 
Yeah it just seems weird that we didnt even get considered for an interview. I mean... if they looked at my file and said 'no interview' that would be one thing.. but it doesn't even seem like they reviewed my file at all. I think that once I get my rejection letter I am going to write them back requesting my secondary money back.
 
Yeah it just seems weird that we didnt even get considered for an interview. I mean... if they looked at my file and said 'no interview' that would be one thing.. but it doesn't even seem like they reviewed my file at all. I think that once I get my rejection letter I am going to write them back requesting my secondary money back.

Why not just call and ask to talk to Mark Scott? Getting direct feedback from him as to why your application was not considered for an interview might be more helpful for getting into medical school if you want to be considered by South in the future.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad