Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well I don't think anything is happening today... I am gonna go play ultimate in the rain here pretty soon...
 
runaway.gif
 
Don't drive yourselves crazy trying to follow an important thread. Look above the thread and click 'Thread Tools' -> 'Subscribe to This Thread' -> 'Instant Notification by Email'. Use Outlook or Gmail and voila! no more need to nervously hit refresh every two minutes. Just look at your open Gmail or Outlook window periodically to see when new posts happen.
 
Don't drive yourselves crazy trying to follow an important thread. Look above the thread and click 'Thread Tools' -> 'Subscribe to This Thread' -> 'Instant Notification by Email'. Use Outlook or Gmail and voila! no more need to nervously hit refresh every two minutes. Just look at your open Gmail or Outlook window periodically to see when new posts happen.

Thanks a lot...I was wearing out my refresh button!
 
Hi everyone, I'm new here! (Thanks for the link Darren!)

I go to UAH and applied to UAB, USA, and Vandy.

I was promptly rejected from Vandy.
I interviewed yesterday at UAB.
I haven't heard anything from USA.

The interview at UAB went pretty well I think. I spent some time there last summer and felt pretty at home. Dean Smith said yesterday that the AdCom would review us that afternoon and then fill the class and waitlist right away. However, he also said that they have to put loads of info into a giant spreadsheet and then contact the people above whatever "line" they have established. They said that some people might even know today, though nobody I know at school (there are six of us) has heard anything--including ones that have much better MCAT scores than I do. Dean Smith also said the waitlist would have 100 people on it. Maybe I misunderstood. I was surprised. Someone on the AdCom told me this summer that they usually only pull 20 off the list.

As for USA, I am so confused. I called down there over a week ago to check my status because I found out that they didn't cash my check. The lady said that they were picking people for the last of the interviews. She did go find my file and said that there was no note about payment problems. I was afraid that maybe a letter got lost in the mail and there was some hold on me. I checked with the bank again and they confirmed that the check was not cashed. I emailed Mark Scott to ask him to please look into this, but thus far he has not answered. Perhaps they are on spring break? Any advice?

Sarah
 
Hi everyone, I'm new here! (Thanks for the link Darren!)

I go to UAH and applied to UAB, USA, and Vandy.

I was promptly rejected from Vandy.
I interviewed yesterday at UAB.
I haven't heard anything from USA.

The interview at UAB went pretty well I think. I spent some time there last summer and felt pretty at home. Dean Smith said yesterday that the AdCom would review us that afternoon and then fill the class and waitlist right away. However, he also said that they have to put loads of info into a giant spreadsheet and then contact the people above whatever "line" they have established. They said that some people might even know today, though nobody I know at school (there are six of us) has heard anything--including ones that have much better MCAT scores than I do. Dean Smith also said the waitlist would have 100 people on it. Maybe I misunderstood. I was surprised. Someone on the AdCom told me this summer that they usually only pull 20 off the list.

As for USA, I am so confused. I called down there over a week ago to check my status because I found out that they didn't cash my check. The lady said that they were picking people for the last of the interviews. She did go find my file and said that there was no note about payment problems. I was afraid that maybe a letter got lost in the mail and there was some hold on me. I checked with the bank again and they confirmed that the check was not cashed. I emailed Mark Scott to ask him to please look into this, but thus far he has not answered. Perhaps they are on spring break? Any advice?

Sarah

First of all, welcome!

I hope UAB works out for you; that's where I'm headed next year as of now.

South's methodology for interview selection has been..questionable..at best, a few people on here have gotten similar treatment.
 
Thanks! I hope that UAB works out for me too. My younger brother will be an MS-1 there next year as well. I really like the school, although not the city so much. I walked to the Kirklin tower yesterday and nearly got run over twice!

I know of a girl from my school who went to South last year and hates it there. I do wish I would find out something from them though, or at least that they would cash the check. But, in all seriousness, we also had six students apply there and only one heard anything at all. Oh well.
 
Welcome SL.

As for South... I don't want to badmouth them so I will not even comment.


As for UAB. Yeah no one hear heard anything yesterday either but that isn't a big surprise seeing as they have a lot of files to go through and a lot of work to do as far as filling the class and constructing the waitlist. The waitlist usually isn't 100 people from what I know from previous years... it usually sits ~75 and is further broken into tritiles (is that a word?) of 25 people. The waitlist movement varies from year to year but if you aren't int he upper third then you most likely will not be accepted. However, the class is not complete until noon on the first day of orientation and I actually know a guy who is at UAB now who was called at 11:30am on the first day of orientation two years ago and showed up to claim his spot.


Here's lookin' at you kid.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think if someone called me that close to school starting I would request to defer. I would hate to start something so important incredibly frazzled. I've told people that I'm okay with whatever the AdCom decides...and I still believe that to be true, but not knowing is hard. I was on MD Applicants and saw where people had been assigned to different tiers in the waitlist. Do they put some people on the waitlist before the class is even filled? I'm confused.

MDapplicants.com - View Profile

Sarah
 
If you are accepted off the waitlist at UAB you cannot defer... if you get in and you aren't accepted anywhere else you really should go regardless of how frazzled you may be.

that mdapps is from last year's application cycle... the alternate lists aren't constructed until after final decisions are made which is.. well right now for UAB. The UAB website says that final decisions will be made for all applications 'still under consideration' by April.
 
SarahLiz wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here! (Thanks for the link Darren!)

I go to UAH and applied to UAB, USA, and Vandy.

I was promptly rejected from Vandy.
I interviewed yesterday at UAB.
I haven't heard anything from USA.

The interview at UAB went pretty well I think. I spent some time there last summer and felt pretty at home. Dean Smith said yesterday that the AdCom would review us that afternoon and then fill the class and waitlist right away. However, he also said that they have to put loads of info into a giant spreadsheet and then contact the people above whatever "line" they have established. They said that some people might even know today, though nobody I know at school (there are six of us) has heard anything--including ones that have much better MCAT scores than I do. Dean Smith also said the waitlist would have 100 people on it. Maybe I misunderstood. I was surprised. Someone on the AdCom told me this summer that they usually only pull 20 off the list.

Question - How do you rate UAH. My kid wants to attend it. Is it good enough to be competitive with UA/UAB or AUBURN. How many kids they send to med school and what kind of scores they have. Thanks and good luck to everyone. If there are points for desire you folks deserve it.
 
Question - How do you rate UAH. My kid wants to attend it. Is it good enough to be competitive with UA/UAB or AUBURN. How many kids they send to med school and what kind of scores they have. Thanks and good luck to everyone. If there are points for desire you folks deserve it.

UAH today is not the same school it was when I was a freshman. They are constantly working on making it more traditional and less of a commuter school. I think in most ways it is competitive with UA and UAB because we are all part of the same school network, the UA system. However, don't think that we're a satellite of UA because we're not! Each school does have it's own completely different identity.

So a lot of this decision, as a parent, should have to do with the kind of kid you have. I went there because I had to stay at home and help with the family and it was affordable, so there wasn't really much choice. However, I can tell you a lot of things about it that were good for someone like me. I had spent most of my life in really small schools and was very, very shy. Total wallflower. UAH is small enough that it is easy to get involved in things like the newspaper, student government, etc. and have leadership positions. Something that was commented on in my interviews over and over. If you have or develop a drive to make a name for yourself, you can certainly do it there. Also, the campus, while not traditional with matching historic architecture, is somewhat set off from the surrounding area and is gorgeous in fall and spring. I think our academics are definitely comparable, especially in the sciences, because we have much smaller classes. We also have the new Shelby center which makes many labs more "user friendly."

That being said, there are definitely things I do not like about UAH. The faculty is a bit cliquish, very liberal, and the have definite ideas about who will and won't be successful and whether they do or do not deserve it. I'm non-traditional in that I'm a foreign language major applying to medical school. I opted out of our pre-professional advising committee, and in general have stirred up waves for doing everything you can do "the wrong way." People are still nice to me, but it's like being a step-child to a lot of departments. I do have a chem minor, and do like the chem department, but am upset that my research project was essentially cancelled. My teacher backed out despite the fact that we have a signed agreement and nobody would help me. With budget cuts they said they couldn't find another teacher to help me, but yet, my friend, the Goldwater scholar chemistry genius still got to do her project. Stuff like that makes me mad. Like I don't deserve the right to do those things. I also really, really wanted to teach a chem lab and have never been allowed even though I could do a better job that a lot of the people that are teaching--all because of my true major. There are a lot of double standards. Maybe it's like that in life. I have definitely learned to fight for myself. I also learned that sometimes nothing gets anything done better than an angry mother. There is also some disorganization in a lot of the offices that sort of run the school.

That being said, esp. if you're going to do things the "right" way, it's a good place to go. One of my brothers opted for Birmingham Southern and did well there, another is at UAH, and the third brother is going to go to BSC in the fall.

We never have as many people apply to health professions graduate schools as UA and UAB because we are much, much smaller. I don't know any percentages, but to the best of my knowledge, my friends that have really wanted to go have been accepted. Also, our AED group (health honor society) is really active and a great student network. Some of my AED friends at UAB came to see my at my interview! An invaluable resource! We have a few students who applied to pharmacy school this year and got in, one to dental school who got in, one to podiatry school who got in, and six to medical school--one accepted to USA, the rest are still waiting to hear news. We're not necessarily the smartes of the med school applicants that you will find, but as a general rule UAH students are very well rounded and hard workers--most have outside jobs as well. I would venture that our average MCAT is shy of 30, but most likely due to the fact that everyone is so busy. Also, it's kind of rare for people to graduate from UAH in four years because we have more requirements than other schools. I think five years is the most common. I've been there eight.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
 
Thanks for your reply SL.

This was informative. In the end the decision will be down to the kid. Goodluck on your admission process and hope you get acceptance. Once again good luck to everyone on this board. You all are impressive and I hope ADCOM can see that.
 
Hi everyone, I'm new here! (Thanks for the link Darren!)

I go to UAH and applied to UAB, USA, and Vandy.

I was promptly rejected from Vandy.
I interviewed yesterday at UAB.
I haven't heard anything from USA.

The interview at UAB went pretty well I think. I spent some time there last summer and felt pretty at home. Dean Smith said yesterday that the AdCom would review us that afternoon and then fill the class and waitlist right away. However, he also said that they have to put loads of info into a giant spreadsheet and then contact the people above whatever "line" they have established. They said that some people might even know today, though nobody I know at school (there are six of us) has heard anything--including ones that have much better MCAT scores than I do. Dean Smith also said the waitlist would have 100 people on it. Maybe I misunderstood. I was surprised. Someone on the AdCom told me this summer that they usually only pull 20 off the list.

As for USA, I am so confused. I called down there over a week ago to check my status because I found out that they didn't cash my check. The lady said that they were picking people for the last of the interviews. She did go find my file and said that there was no note about payment problems. I was afraid that maybe a letter got lost in the mail and there was some hold on me. I checked with the bank again and they confirmed that the check was not cashed. I emailed Mark Scott to ask him to please look into this, but thus far he has not answered. Perhaps they are on spring break? Any advice?

Sarah


Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with South. I am an undergrad at South and the only thing I can tell you is that we are on spring break this next week. Some of the administration chooses to be off and some do not. Mark Scott may not be in the office next week but I think there is a good chance someone will be working on it.
 
Just an observation on this thread and playing a little devil's advocate given the last few posts bashing South's admissions/interview methods - it's amazing how much slack UAB's admission procedures get and how little South's get.

Given that from submitting my app to South I have always been able to get an answer from their staff when I called - versus no contact from UAB till like late Jan, and given that I have a clear idea of how South's admissions work (1-10 scale, ranking, and review of the cutoff periodically) vs. no transparency from UAB (Dean Smith - you will be ranked and some people might get in before they leave their interviews, some may get in in August....wth?), I find the bias a little odd.

That being said, staff at UAB and staff at South have both been exceptionally nice when I have called or e-mailed, and both seem like great places (though some of my interviewers at UAB didn't seem to have as warm a feeling for me...)
 
Hey SN (cute name),

I don't really mean to bash South, I'm just frustrated. Hopefully I will hear something from them this week. It could be that they had to chase a paper trail or something to find the answer to my question. I spent last summer at UAB in a program and knew going in how people are ranked. I honestly didn't know anything about how South does it, but figured it was probably similar.

I can tell you for UAB that (according to the website) everyone who applies gets a secondary. People who submit secondaries are all ranked. Some are rejected without interviews for various reasons. The ranking system is also 1-10, with a 3.5 and 26-28 being equivalent to a 6, which is about what you need to get in. However, I know of people with much higher and lower scores that got in. Only half of this ranking is derived from MCAT and GPA, the rest is from life experiences, etc. Because it is rolling admissions people with higher rankings will be interviewed first. If there is a lull then they start calling up lower ranks. They let higher ranks into the class first, then lower ranks. I have some lower ranked friends who were accepted last fall, partially because they applied at a good time. I applied on the last day and being lower ranked didn't get called up to interview until February. But I knew it would be that way. They also stop letting people in when they get to a certain number of spots left because the latter groups are so similar in ranking that the interviews really matter. Then they take the last interview groups as well as other people that are still under consideration and fill the rest of the spots and the waitlist. But yeah, say it is a lull in apps. and a 7 and 9.5 interview on the same day in October and the cutoff is a 9 at that point, the 9.5 might get offered a spot the next day or a week later, where as the 7 might not get offered one until March. It's a bit complicated, I know.

I do agree with you that the staff at both schools seem to be nice. I haven't interviewed at South but generally enjoyed my interview at UAB, although like you, I don't necessarily think all fo the interviewers loved me.

Out of our hands though, huh?
 
Hey SN (cute name),

I don't really mean to bash South, I'm just frustrated. Hopefully I will hear something from them this week. It could be that they had to chase a paper trail or something to find the answer to my question. I spent last summer at UAB in a program and knew going in how people are ranked. I honestly didn't know anything about how South does it, but figured it was probably similar.

I can tell you for UAB that (according to the website) everyone who applies gets a secondary. People who submit secondaries are all ranked. Some are rejected without interviews for various reasons. The ranking system is also 1-10, with a 3.5 and 26-28 being equivalent to a 6, which is about what you need to get in. However, I know of people with much higher and lower scores that got in. Only half of this ranking is derived from MCAT and GPA, the rest is from life experiences, etc. Because it is rolling admissions people with higher rankings will be interviewed first. If there is a lull then they start calling up lower ranks. They let higher ranks into the class first, then lower ranks. I have some lower ranked friends who were accepted last fall, partially because they applied at a good time. I applied on the last day and being lower ranked didn't get called up to interview until February. But I knew it would be that way. They also stop letting people in when they get to a certain number of spots left because the latter groups are so similar in ranking that the interviews really matter. Then they take the last interview groups as well as other people that are still under consideration and fill the rest of the spots and the waitlist. But yeah, say it is a lull in apps. and a 7 and 9.5 interview on the same day in October and the cutoff is a 9 at that point, the 9.5 might get offered a spot the next day or a week later, where as the 7 might not get offered one until March. It's a bit complicated, I know.

I do agree with you that the staff at both schools seem to be nice. I haven't interviewed at South but generally enjoyed my interview at UAB, although like you, I don't necessarily think all fo the interviewers loved me.

Out of our hands though, huh?

Hah, sorry that wasn't really directed at you - or anyone in particular! I just meant I noticed a pattern in the thread that was interesting. I will say that if I do get accepted at UAB I'd be interested in my committee score, since I too interviewed recently and the chance of scholarship at South would pull me more twds South than no scholarship at UAB. I say it that way b/c a round of accepts went out last Fri and I didn't get one so I assume I'm not on the top of their acceptance pile, but this may be a bad assumption which would best be remedied by knowing my committee score (if I get in...). I wonder if we can just ask straight up...

I interviewed at both, and my interviews at South just seemed focused more on asking about me and my interests and motivations; my first interview at UAB was like that and put me at ease but my latter ones were just...odd. Anyway, here's hoping everyone gets in somewhere that they want to go 🙂
 
No problem.

I think they will tell you your ranking if you ask, but I'm not sure about that. If I don't get asked to interview at South I plan on asking what I could improve on, ditto if I don't get into UAB. I do know that UAB's scholarship committee will meet again after the class is made, so there is hope for all. I had four interviews at UAB, the first two were good, the second two were a bit odd. One was in an exam room in the pretend clinic which I found to be kind of funny.

Where do you go to college? I go to UAH.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey wait,

Status medical student?! Do you know something I don't know?! I think UAB should let you as an act of good measure after having your car vandalized and your computer, laundry, and fruit snacks stolen.

Sarah
 
Hey wait,

Status medical student?! Do you know something I don't know?! I think UAB should let you as an act of good measure after having your car vandalized and your computer, laundry, and fruit snacks stolen.

Sarah

Nope, that was an accident. I don't know anything yet...maybe this next week though.
 
Nope, that was an accident. I don't know anything yet...maybe this next week though.

Yeah, I thought either it was mistake or a really clever way of telling me. I was expecting a phone call with lots of screaming and cheering, maybe champagne shooting in the background... I'm working on my thank you's now and wishing I could get them there before Thursday in case the AdCom meets again.
 
I'm working on my thank you's now and wishing I could get them there before Thursday in case the AdCom meets again.

I realize that I may be offending many of the viewers/contributors to this thread by saying this, but doesn't anyone think that writing thank-you letters to one's interviewers is a bit sycophantic and extremely transparent? Don't get me wrong--I'm all about writing thank-you letters when someone has given me a gift, hosted me at their home, even extending small personal courtesies. I keep a drawer full of stationary for the purpose, whatever it may be. But to me, writing a thank-you letter for something that an interviewer really didn't have a choice in doing is disingenuous and such obvious fawning could be (but probably wouldn't be) considered intrusive to the selection process. To me, saying "Thank you so much for your time; I have really enjoyed talking with you" before leaving the interview room is adequate. I really did feel that way, too. But I wasn't going to drive the point home with a sledgehammer by writing a letter.

Again, I'm sorry if that offends anyone; I understand that everyone is just trying to do whatever it takes to get into medical school. Maybe you guys know something I don't know--I'm a 25 year old first-time applicant. I guess it just feels a little fake to me, and I would rather rest on the laurels of my application and my interview performance.

Good luck to everyone; I think we'll ALL be hearing something very soon.
 
I realize that I may be offending many of the viewers/contributors to this thread by saying this, but doesn't anyone think that writing thank-you letters to one's interviewers is a bit sycophantic and extremely transparent? Don't get me wrong--I'm all about writing thank-you letters when someone has given me a gift, hosted me at their home, even extending small personal courtesies. I keep a drawer full of stationary for the purpose, whatever it may be. But to me, writing a thank-you letter for something that an interviewer really didn't have a choice in doing is disingenuous and such obvious fawning could be (but probably wouldn't be) considered intrusive to the selection process. To me, saying "Thank you so much for your time; I have really enjoyed talking with you" before leaving the interview room is adequate. I really did feel that way, too. But I wasn't going to drive the point home with a sledgehammer by writing a letter.

Again, I'm sorry if that offends anyone; I understand that everyone is just trying to do whatever it takes to get into medical school. Maybe you guys know something I don't know--I'm a 25 year old first-time applicant. I guess it just feels a little fake to me, and I would rather rest on the laurels of my application and my interview performance.

Good luck to everyone; I think we'll ALL be hearing something very soon.

Maybe fake but others are doing it. On the other hand if everyone else does it then you don't come across well. Good luck.
 
Maybe fake but others are doing it. On the other hand if everyone else does it then you don't come across well. Good luck.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I'll get rejected like a chump because I didn't write thank-you notes. Or maybe I'll get in. I really have no idea what will happen.

Regardless, defending a questionable action simply because everyone else does it is pretty adolescent.
 
LJ-

On one hand I understand what you're saying. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it except that when I was there this summer it was part of our interviewing class. Not just what to write, but the exact type of stationary to buy, color of ink to use, etc. The lady who taught our class was on the AdCom and she showed us shoeboxes full of thank you's that she had saved over the years. The best I can explain it, it's sort of something you do not only because it is good manners, but out of respect for the title you hope to one day have. It's the same reason we dress up for interviews. In some ways there really isn't a point is there? We're all doing it, right? I'm not going to be a better doctor just because I suffered in heels for six hours am I? Nor is the guys that removed his 12 piercings just for that interview. It's just a respect for the traditions. Another interesting thing is that they save the correspondance from you. Dr. Smith said that our files include emails we send, notes we send, etc. So my file last week might have had a few thank you's or ten. Beats me, but it shows that I'm appreciative and genuine. So in short, I don't feel like a suckup for doing it. It's a good way to keep in touch with everyone and it is generally expected. If you do write them, make sure you include something that you talked about during your interview because it helps people to remember you. Like, "Dear Dr. X, I enjoyed our conversation on rural medicine. How interesting that you were raised in the same area as myself."

Sarah
 
LJ-

On one hand I understand what you're saying. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it except that when I was there this summer it was part of our interviewing class. Not just what to write, but the exact type of stationary to buy, color of ink to use, etc. The lady who taught our class was on the AdCom and she showed us shoeboxes full of thank you's that she had saved over the years. The best I can explain it, it's sort of something you do not only because it is good manners, but out of respect for the title you hope to one day have. It's the same reason we dress up for interviews. In some ways there really isn't a point is there? We're all doing it, right? I'm not going to be a better doctor just because I suffered in heels for six hours am I? Nor is the guys that removed his 12 piercings just for that interview. It's just a respect for the traditions. Another interesting thing is that they save the correspondance from you. Dr. Smith said that our files include emails we send, notes we send, etc. So my file last week might have had a few thank you's or ten. Beats me, but it shows that I'm appreciative and genuine. So in short, I don't feel like a suckup for doing it. It's a good way to keep in touch with everyone and it is generally expected. If you do write them, make sure you include something that you talked about during your interview because it helps people to remember you. Like, "Dear Dr. X, I enjoyed our conversation on rural medicine. How interesting that you were raised in the same area as myself."

Sarah

Hey--if someone from the AdCom told you to write letters, you can't be blamed for doing it. I honestly hope that strategy works out for you. Still, I don't feel comfortable doing it for the reasons I have already explained. The whole bit about ink color and stationary choice also seems kind of extreme. It's just not who I am, and I always feel that honesty is the best policy for this kind of thing.

I'll be requesting a feedback interview with Dean Smith if I don't get in. If he tells me that my not writing thank-you letters to my interviewers rubbed the committee the wrong way, I guess I'll just go F myself.
 
LJ--I totally understand. I certainly hope that if I do get in, that it isn't the only reason why. And I've only heard of a few rare stories in business classes where that is the case...that it was between two people, one that did and one that didn't. I'm sure we'll all be fine in the end. The committee knows that they're doing and when they say that I, or anybody else is ready, then they probably are. And if not, then I will be okay with that too.

Sarah
 
I'll be requesting a feedback interview with Dean Smith if I don't get in. If he tells me that my not writing thank-you letters to my interviewers rubbed the committee the wrong way, I guess I'll just go F myself.

:laugh: You've got a way with words, LJ. I can definitely see your point and identify with your attitude towards the process and disingenuous behavior. (And that is not to say that notes are a sign of disingenuousness. I don't doubt for a moment that they are perfectly natural, genuine, and honest from some applicants.)

Best of luck to all, thank-you notes or not.
 
I don't know... it seems like a pretty huge deal for a lot of people and the staff and faculty are all involved in many ways.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know... it seems like a pretty huge deal for a lot of people and the staff and faculty are all involved in many ways.

Very true, but they're also not having to deal with any interview preparations this week. They're over for UAB, right? Also, AAMC mandates that after March 15 all acceptances have to be reported by institutions within a few days. I'm not sure what that means, but I am thinking we'll hear something this week.
 
Very true, but they're also not having to deal with any interview preparations this week. They're over for UAB, right? Also, AAMC mandates that after March 15 all acceptances have to be reported by institutions within a few days. I'm not sure what that means, but I am thinking we'll hear something this week.

Do you mind providing a link to that info?
 
Do you mind providing a link to that info?

Actually it's just something I glanced at in my MSAR last night, but I found it online as well: http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm.

After reviewing it in more detail, I should point out that AAMC doesn't mandate...it "recommends." I don't know to what extent any of those recommendations mean anything to us, except for that we know that all schools MUST have filled their classes by March 30.