Albany interview invite...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinii13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a VA resident and so far I've gotten accepted to VCU, waitlisted by UVA, and just recently recieved an interview invite from Albany. Any thoughts on whether its worth it to go all the way up to Albany for the interview? After lookin at some of the posts about Albany, I'm starting to think it might be a waste of time and money. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You're in at one of your state schools, and Albany is very expensive. Enough said.

Going to your interview at albany would be a waste of time and money!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that since you have an acceptance at a cheaper school, it's probably not worth the visit. Had you not received an acceptance, I would have advised you to check it out. It's funny, I remember before my interview not feeling very excited about the school because of all the negative talk on SDN. However, when I visited Albany and met the students and staff, my opinions drastically changed. I absolutely loved it there; the people were among the friendliest I've met at any med school interview. That said, if I have the option later on to attend one of my state schools, it only makes sense to pay less money for an equivalent education.

i interviewed at both albany and vcu. i thought vcu was a much better school in almost every aspect. however, i will agree that people talk too negatively about albany. its cold, facilities are not great, expensive, etc, but the students were definitely cool there and seemed very happy to be there. btw, if u get into UVA will you take that over VCU? open up an in-state spot for me!

Thanks for the advice...I was leaning toward a no as well since it definitely would be cheaper--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid by not considering another option. I'm not sure I'd go to UVA if i got in. I graduated from there in May of '06 and loved every minute of undergrad, but when I went for my interview there, the vibe I got from the medical school students was nothing like what I had experienced as an undergrad. The competition there is on a whole different level and I don't know how much I am willing to put up with that for another 4+ years. Good luck with your applications though--maybe I'll see you at VCU :)