Albert Einstein- effect of affiliation with a religious institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saa09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about applying to Albert Einstein. I already knew that there was some religious connection, but after checking out the website I found out that it's affiliated with an orthodox Jewish institution. Does anyone know if this can have any effect on a potential non-Jewish medical student, other than the library is closed as a certain time on saturday? For the record, I'm not considering any other schools with a religious affiliation
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't have an effect. My best friend (catholic) attends and he has no issues.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the "religious" schools besides Loma Linda have any policies that would be objectionable to the average student.

At LL I have heard rumors of compulsory chapel attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the library is closed on saturdays. so is the gym.

Aside from what has already been mentioned, there is no real consequence to the Yeshiva affiliation. However, from what I've heard, there have been a few decent Jewish doctors in the past, so it might be a good thing.

This reminds me of the Daily Show's jewish meter they had a couple weeks ago when the candidate were giving speaches about Israel. (I think? I don't remember exactly where the speached were; anyway they are Jewish centric pandering speaches) The top rank was "My son, the doctor, ..." which I though was pretty funny.

How does Einstein’s affiliation with an orthodox Jewish university affect my life?
The food is kosher (plentiful and good) and the Library is closed from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday (except for the winter months when the Library is closed all day Saturday).

From the AECOM website.

This reminds me of the Daily Show's jewish meter they had a couple weeks ago when the candidate were giving speaches about Israel. (I think? I don't remember exactly where the speached were; anyway they are Jewish centric pandering speaches) The top rank was "My son, the doctor, ..." which I though was pretty funny.

Appropriately, the dialect of English that Jon Stewart uses when he is being 'Jewishy' is called "Yeshivish".

One thing that I would caution anyone entering a medical school that has a majority of a certain ethnic or religious background is feeling like you don't fit in, or that the majority of students form a network that you are excluded from. I am not speaking about this school in particular, but from what peers told me about attending other medical/dental schools with a strong religious or ethnic presence. I don't think this is true of catholic schools, since many students in catholic schools are hardly observant of catholic teachings...

I'm an Orthodox Jew and I don't think AECOM's Jewish affiliation makes any real difference other than the fact that the library is closed on Saturdays. The proportion of Orthodox Jewish students is a bit higher but I believe the majority of the students are not Orthodox Jews, let alone Jewish at all.
Rumors of compulsory chapel or synagogue attendance are false.

Does anyone know if Mount Sinai follows similar rules (library closed on Saturday, etc)?

Does anyone know if Mount Sinai follows similar rules (library closed on Saturday, etc)?

im almost certain they dont have such restrictions as their affiliation is not with orthodoxy.

The dean answers to a higher authority.

i think besides the kosher food/ and observing the sabbath...the school's religion will have no bearing on your life as a medical student...they also don't discriminate against other religions either... i was very active in my catholic church during undergrad and was on the board, and was vocal about it in my personal statement....and they accepted me.... it is illegal for a school to discriminate based on religion....it is a very diverse school located in new york city...so u won't feel out of place whatever your religion/race...

"it is illegal for a school to discriminate based on religion."

I don't think that is true. Schools like Loma Linda explicitly use religious criteria in their application questions and interviews.

"it is illegal for a school to discriminate based on religion."

I don't think that is true. Schools like Loma Linda explicitly use religious criteria in their application questions and interviews.

Right. A public school, under state laws, probably cannot discriminate. But public institutions can do whatever they want with admissions.