Alcohol Violation on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winsty277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've seen many threads about people with freshman year alcohol violations (not ticket, just institutional action). It looks like I may be given an alcohol violation (alcohol probation for 1 semester) and I am going into my senior year.

I wasn't found drinking or anything, but we had a bug guy come spray our university apartment and there was some alcohol out (from our roommate who is of legal drinking age, but the university doesn't allow alcohol anywhere on campus), and so he reported it. I'm going to try to fight and get out of it (plus, roommate says he will say that it was all his alcohol), but I was wondering if I should be frantically worrying about having to report this on my AMCAS, since this wasn't just a silly freshman year mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've seen many threads about people with freshman year alcohol violations (not ticket, just institutional action). It looks like I may be given an alcohol violation (alcohol probation for 1 semester) and I am going into my senior year.

I wasn't found drinking or anything, but we had a bug guy come spray our university apartment and there was some alcohol out (from our roommate who is of legal drinking age, but the university doesn't allow alcohol anywhere on campus), and so he reported it. I'm going to try to fight and get out of it (plus, roommate says he will say that it was all his alcohol), but I was wondering if I should be frantically worrying about having to report this on my AMCAS, since this wasn't just a silly freshman year mistake.
You won't have to report this on AMCAS if you don't get an IA. So I would definitely, immediately contact your dean (right now) and address this before "waiting" on an IA. Who knows what your university's student handbook says ("everyone in a dorm room is implicated, regardless of who purchased the alcohol") but of all the alcohol infractions I can imagine, this one seems pretty benign to me.

Agree with above. Don't frantically worry about this one. I've seen and heard of much worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is minor; you'll be fine (except maybe at LUCOM or Loma Linda).

Hi all,

we had a bug guy come spray our university apartment and there was some alcohol out (from our roommate who is of legal drinking age, but the university doesn't allow alcohol anywhere on campus), and so he reported it.
That's completely absurd.

Just a trivial sidenote, I am amazed how times have changed. The very large and rather wild state school that I and my brothers went to had a legal bar in virtually all 25 dorm buildings on campus run by the students. Most were nothing more dives with a stereo and a foosball table. A few were "fancy" wine bars or coffee houses in the days long before starbucks or peets. My favorite was the ice cream parlor called Harpos. That ended all my last year of school. What a shame
So true. I think that is why so many adcom members are bewildered about alcohol violations given that the drinking age was 18 when we were in college and the only issue was the kids who were 17 until Christmas of freshman year.

Reactions: 1 user