Alcohol Violation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon242

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman in college, and I made a really irresponsible drinking decision that landed me in the emergency room. I will be placed on disciplinary probation for the next two semesters. Am I correct in assuming that I will need to mention this on my medical school application? How much will this affect my chances of admission into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a freshman in college, and I made a really irresponsible drinking decision that landed me in the emergency room. I will be placed on disciplinary probation for the next two semesters. Am I correct in assuming that I will need to mention this on my medical school application? How much will this affect my chances of admission into medical school?
Yes, you will have to mention it. It probably won't have a huge impact on your chances, IF you have actually learned from your mistakes and don't run into any trouble again. You should probably also make sure your stats and EC's are above-average to counteract any ill effects of the red flag on your application.....

Thank you so much for responding. This happening really made me think so much about the direction of my life and my choices and I'm quite honestly just disgusted with myself. I'm really starting to feel passionately about this issue, and I'm just wondering if you think it would help if I volunteered with some kind of organization to promote healthy choices or alcohol awareness? Maybe telling my story could help someone. I'm not sure where to volunteer, but I'll look out. I plan to do it regardless, but do you think that would help at all? Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it. I just want to do something to help others realize how serious alcohol can be, because that's something I wish I knew.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for responding. This happening really made me think so much about the direction of my life and my choices and I'm quite honestly just disgusted with myself. I'm really starting to feel passionately about this issue, and I'm just wondering if you think it would help if I volunteered with some kind of organization to promote healthy choices or alcohol awareness? Maybe telling my story could help someone. I'm not sure where to volunteer, but I'll look out. I plan to do it regardless, but do you think that would help at all? Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it. I just want to do something to help others realize how serious alcohol can be, because that's something I wish I knew.
It won't hurt, and it can help to show you actually realized what a mistake you made, and aren't just playing lip service to having "recognized the error of your ways." More important than whether med schools will want to see it is what you will get out of it. There are boxes that have to be checked regarding the pre-med ECs, but that doesn't mean the boxes need to be checked in a meaningless way. Doing something you are passionate about will be much better, both for you and your application, than doing something just because med schools want to see it.

Provided that you do not have any more disciplinary actions, this should not affect you. Adcoms understand that early in college, drinking is tempting and fairly common, and do not hold that against applicants. However, if it appears that such irresponsible behavior is a pattern, you will be screened out.

Provided that you do not have any more disciplinary actions, this should not affect you. Adcoms understand that early in college, drinking is tempting and fairly common, and do not hold that against applicants. However, if it appears that such irresponsible behavior is a pattern, you will be screened out.

Also, drink where you sleep or vice versa.... hammered at party? Sleep at party. Stuck at home? Hammered at home. Also, get some phenergan, so handy.

Thank you all so much, I'm feeling much better about this situation. I can't believe that I did something that ridiculous. Does anyone know if universities typically have any means of expunging things from the disciplinary record? I looked through my school's handbook and can't find anything, but do you think it would still be worth looking into? I could also potentially contest the decision to remove the probationary status, but I think that's a bad idea because the consequences they gave me were, in my opinion, fairly lax. Just the probation, a talk with my parents, and an alcohol/health awareness workshop that lasts 90 minutes.

IF you have actually learned from your mistakes and don't run into any trouble again.

It won't hurt, and it can help to show you actually realized what a mistake you made, and aren't just playing lip service to having "recognized the error of your ways."

You contradicted yourself here. Do you see it?

Last edited: