1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Alkylating Agents

Discussion in 'Step I' started by TerpMD, May 29, 2008.

1. TerpMD

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    FA says they are cell cycle nonspecific but UW says they are S phase specific. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lany

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    alk. agents bind to the ds dna (cross-linkage) and disrupt dna synthesis and/or rna transcription. The incorporation of these agents occur during the s-phase yet they can still enter G2 phase (hence non-specific) and mitosis for some but cant complete replication. In case of bleomycin, i would assume that the alkyl agent incorporated prevents it from even going into the mitosis stage. Since it stops replication at G2 phase, its under cell-cycle specific, yet also under cell-cycle non-specific since it started (incorporation) at S phase. I hope step1 is not that picky.

lol.. i jus realized i havent figured out which one to pick either.. hmm.. it would still be a guess but i would go with non-specific. (except for bleomycin even though it could screw me over cause working at G2 and also inducing free radical that break the strand)

4. TerpMD

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I think I will just stick to FA. UW also said that antimetabolites were G1 specific when I thought they were S specific so who knows what is up with the UW cell cycle pic!