Antineoplastic agents, how do you remember?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HTxFrog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can never remember the indications for all the different antineoplastic drugs. Do y'all think this is super important? It doesn't seem like I get a lot of questions asking about what drugs to use for what cancers, but maybe thats just me. Anyone have a good way for remembering some of them?

Members don't see this ad.

lol as of now, all i know is actinomycin D for kids (ya FA pnemonic) and ABVD, MOPP for hodgkin's

The anti neoplastic drugs can be a handful. I think the highest yield info for them is to know which ones are cycle specific and if so at what point. I also think the side effects and treatments for the toxic effects are very high yield.
For example
-MENSA for hemorrhagic cystitis induced by cyclophosphamide
-leucovorin for methotrexate, thymidine for 5-FU
-Filgrastim/Sargramostim for myelosupression
-Allopurinol if you develop Tumor lysis syndrome.

To get back to your original question...I think the most important cancers that you should know how to treat are the following:
-Prostate Cancer: Flutamide, Leuprolide..maybe others im not sure
-Breast Cancer: estrogen sensitive=tamoxifen. erb-b2 expressor=traztuzumab also Paplitaxel and Anostrazole are used for breast cancer
-Testicular Cancer: Etopside, Bleomycin, Cisplatin
-Imatinib for CML-makes sense since its a tyrosine kinase inhibitor
-Rituximab for Follicular lymphoma (targets cd20 to kill b cells. PS this is not in first aid)
-The "mustines" for brain tumors-makes sense because they cross the BBB -Dactinomycin for childhood tumors

Definitely know the 2 treatment regimens for Hodgkins
-ABVD (Adriamycin, bleomycin, vinblastine, dacarbazine)
-MOPP (Mechlorethamine, Oncovin aka Vincristine, Procarbazine, Prednisone)

Reactions: 1 user
Apart from what sswang00 has written, there is little you need to know about the specific indications of anticancers. However just add in Methotrexate and Interferons because their indications extend to non-neoplastic diseases as well. Definitely know your Monoclonal antibodies like Rituximab, Imatinib, Trastuzumab.

Apart from that, CRAM the side effects and MECHANISMS!!! Very frequently asked. You might even want to throw away learning any of the uses but learn only mechanisms and side effects.

Members don't see this ad :)
For example
-MENSA for hemorrhagic cystitis induced by cyclophosphamide
-leucovorin for methotrexate, thymidine for 5-FU
-Filgrastim/Sargramostim for myelosupression
-Allopurinol if you develop Tumor lysis syndrome.

Also add:

AMIFOSTINE: Reduce the cumulative nephrotoxicity of Cisplatin

DEXRAZOXANE: Reduce the incidence of dilated cardiomyopathy due to Doxorubicin.

PALIFERMIN: (Taken from wikipedia): Reduce incidence and severity of mucositis

Rasburicase: Reduces incidence and treats tumour lysis syndrome.

Haha looks like I went a little overboard but definitely learn the first two: Amifostine and Dexrazoxane (also given to chelate iron in haemochromatosis and blood transfusions when excessive).