This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agzs2015

Ohio State c/o 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I will be attending Ohio State CVM in the fall and we are required to purchase an iPad Pro. I have decided that I will be purchasing the larger model (12.9"). Now I'm stumped on the accessories!!! I'm definitely purchasing the apple pencil (and Notability app). I am required to purchase a keyboard, but I'm not sure if I should get an all-in-one keyboard + case, or just a wireless bluetooth keyboard. Do you guys hand-write your notes with the apple pencil, or do you find yourself typing throughout lectures? What case do you use?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I will be attending Ohio State CVM in the fall and we are required to purchase an iPad Pro. I have decided that I will be purchasing the larger model (12.9"). Now I'm stumped on the accessories!!! I'm definitely purchasing the apple pencil (and Notability app). I am required to purchase a keyboard, but I'm not sure if I should get an all-in-one keyboard + case, or just a wireless bluetooth keyboard. Do you guys hand-write your notes with the apple pencil, or do you find yourself typing throughout lectures? What case do you use?
Hey! There’s a recent thread about the iPad vs surface that a lot of people gave their opinions about the different iPad things in so you should check there.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't have an iPad Pro, but I was very gung ho about wanting to record lectures & take notes on the Notability app on my older iPad last year when I started my post bacc. Something I never thought I'd have to worry about - some keyboards are REALLY loud! I had an attached all-in-one keyboard case, and the keys were so loud and close to the microphone that it drowned out the lecture! Obviously not an issue if you aren't planning to record lectures, but I would go for a wireless keyboard, as you can hold it farther away from the microphone and not have it be so loud. I have this one: Logitech K380 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard for all major OS devices

Also, definitely plan to use a keyboard, they will be going WAY too fast for handwritten notes, and I find using a stylus bulky even just to draw shapes or diagrams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, definitely plan to use a keyboard, they will be going WAY too fast for handwritten notes, and I find using a stylus bulky even just to draw shapes or diagrams.

Disagree strongly. I make written notes on top of the PowerPoint/word doc and it is a lot faster. I also can’t imagine a keyboard ever being LESS bulky than the Apple Pencil for drawing anything, but to each their own.

OP, you will have to figure out what kind of note taking you want to do and move on from there. I bought a keyboard for my iPad Pro and I wish I hadn’t because I never use the damn thing. Most people in my class just take notes with the pencil in the app of their choice. But it depends on your personal needs and preference.

I love my iPad pro and apple pencil. I love that it is compatible with the MacBook since we are required to have one at UGA. I use all three every single day. I don't know much about the surface pro, but honestly, Notability has changed my life. Also, apparently handwriting your notes is a more active way to learn... not sure about the research there, but I find it to be true! I have the 9.7 and I am fine with it, but my friends all have the larger one and love it. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user