All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg. The weasel can never know this new method for plant slaughter.
I only have 2 plants in my house now. The cats have decided the Christmas cactus isn't tasty, so it gets to live. And the 8' China doll tree just gets pruned every winter at the bottom by little cat nibbles until I put it outside for the summer and it recovers. Everything else has been eaten or slept on to death.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a dental on one of my dogs a few months ago and pulled a premolar from him. He's whistled in his sleep ever since. Husband finally noticed it tonight. :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
Manny is not impressed with the weather lately :laugh:

manny.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Just want to brag about my dog because I'm so proud of her. My older dog got her second rally championship, her level 2 championship, and some placements this weekend! And the younger one just tagged along for fun (pretty sure she had more fun than the one who was competing)

(The blacked out areas are just location info that I didn't feel like sharing)

InkedIMG_5982_LI.jpg
IMG_5999.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Just want to brag about my dog because I'm so proud of her. My older dog got her second rally championship, her level 2 championship, and some placements this weekend! And the younger one just tagged along for fun (pretty sure she had more fun than the one who was competing)

(The blacked out areas are just location info that I didn't feel like sharing)

View attachment 251091 View attachment 251089
Oh man is that a toller? So fluffy and cute :love: also the chocolate lab is precious :love:

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man is that a toller? So fluffy and cute :love: also the chocolate lab is precious :love:

Aww thanks! Yes, she is a toller and has the fluffiest head. My chocolate is a crazy girl but I adore them both

Members don't see this ad :)
Found out my cat is sitting on top of her automatic feeder - WAITING for kibble to fall out.

The feeder is programmed to dispense kibble only a few times each day - so cat might be sitting on top of the feeder for a LONG time when I'm gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Found out my cat is sitting on top of her automatic feeder - WAITING for kibble to fall out.

The feeder is programmed to dispense kibble only a few times each day - so cat might be sitting on top of the feeder for a LONG time when I'm gone.

View attachment 252294
Omg I love her

She’s better than my sisters cat who destroyed multiple feeders by knocking them over or sticking his paw up the food hole until a couple pieces would come out :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Ginger’s 1st birthday was yesterday, and it’s really important.

Attachments

• B4F4B766-94F6-41F1-8D1E-12B0B98948FF.jpeg
    B4F4B766-94F6-41F1-8D1E-12B0B98948FF.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: 8 users
So last quarter I signed Ziggy and Jasmine up to be in a study. One of the cardio residents did a short ECG on them and disqualified Ziggy because he had a couple VPCs near the end. So basically he couldn't be included but Jasmine could. She got a full echo and ECG as a part of the study. But here is the kicker, since the resident saw abnormalities in Ziggy, she recommended he get an echo and ECG. But because he was abnormal and couldn't be included in the study, I would have to pay $500+ for this. It seems a bit... unfair to me. I know it is not really, I'm just frustrated. His heart is probably normal, but I would absolutely hate myself if I didn't go through with the echo and something was wrong. Need some positive words or something :(

I have the same water bowl as you! And I think @PippyPony has the same one as well :)

So last quarter I signed Ziggy and Jasmine up to be in a study. One of the cardio residents did a short ECG on them and disqualified Ziggy because he had a couple VPCs near the end. So basically he couldn't be included but Jasmine could. She got a full echo and ECG as a part of the study. But here is the kicker, since the resident saw abnormalities in Ziggy, she recommended he get an echo and ECG. But because he was abnormal and couldn't be included in the study, I would have to pay $500+ for this. It seems a bit... unfair to me. I know it is not really, I'm just frustrated. His heart is probably normal, but I would absolutely hate myself if I didn't go through with the echo and something was wrong. Need some positive words or something :(
I'm sorry ZJ :( Is there anyone on the service you can talk to about it?

I'm sorry ZJ :( Is there anyone on the service you can talk to about it?
Not that I know of really. I'm sure they would recommend the same. I don't know the clinicians, only this resident.

I'm going to have to get the echo because I can't not. But having to shell out the money that could've easily been covered feels a bit painful.

@PrincessButterCup

No pouch!!

She had no idea why I wanted to take a pic like this. Her tail is wagging so fast you can't even see it.
20190303_111057.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but having a dog with even slight abnormalities could throw off the validity of their proposed study; they have to be very, very selective in what animals are included. I know it's a bummer, especially with the related cost, but their limited funding needs to go toward those animals which can further their work. I think you're right to spend the money and make sure everything is OK - just think, if there IS something wrong (and hopefully not), you've caught it WAY earlier than you might have if you hadn't even tried to sign Ziggy up!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to get a dog's energy out without going outside? It's way too cold for her but she just has so much energy

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to get a dog's energy out without going outside? It's way too cold for her but she just has so much energy

Mental stimulation can be just as good as exercise. My lab is off the wall so in the winter I like to teach her stupid tricks and we do a lot of training. We also play scent games. I would also look in to puzzle feeders especially if you have a food motivated dog. You can feed them their meals in them too.

Mental stimulation can be just as good as exercise. My lab is off the wall so in the winter I like to teach her stupid tricks and we do a lot of training. We also play scent games. I would also look in to puzzle feeders especially if you have a food motivated dog. You can feed them their meals in them too.
She has two puzzle feeders but she can do them both in under a minute now! She likes to chase me around for a few minutes but then gets bored of that. Maybe I'll attempt to teach her tricks again... it didn't go so well last time

She has two puzzle feeders but she can do them both in under a minute now! She likes to chase me around for a few minutes but then gets bored of that. Maybe I'll attempt to teach her tricks again... it didn't go so well last time

Every kind of dog is she?

Yeah my lab has gotten good at all of hers. You could try using a Kong and put wet dog food in and freeze it. That usually takes a good 30 minutes to finish.

There are a lot of great youtube videos out there for dog training and they are free. Kikopup is probably. Good luck though, I get how you're feeling. My puppy is making my lab look calm....

man you guys are wonderful dog owners and im here with my pull-on-leash-jump-on-people-rarely-exercised pitbull D:

I taught my lab to sneeze on command. Does that qualify as a stupid trick?

Lol, I guess!!?!!? my dog doesn't sneeze on command, but there are certain situations in which she always sneezes. the biggest schnarf sneezes.

oooo what sorts of stupid tricks

why are they STUPID

(I love calling stuff stupid)

I call then stupid because they don't serve any purpose and I make them up on the fly. Like teaching her to put her paw on one object but nose targetting another. Or making her back up onto weird objects (couch cushions/text books) or making her spin around a chair or do sustained hand touches.

She gets really serious when she's training too which adds to my amusement

Reactions: 3 users
Lol, I guess!!?!!? my dog doesn't sneeze on command, but there are certain situations in which she always sneezes. the biggest schnarf sneezes.
That's how you teach it! Pair the word with a situation that always causes a sneeze, then treat after the sneeze. eventually, you just say the word and a sneeze happens. My dog sneezes if I just make him look up long enough.

Reactions: 3 users
man you guys are wonderful dog owners and im here with my pull-on-leash-jump-on-people-rarely-exercised pitbull D:

Oh my lab is a horrible jumper and leash puller. Her favorite move right now is to jump up to people's faces and stick her tongue in their mouth. :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
Every kind of dog is she?

Yeah my lab has gotten good at all of hers. You could try using a Kong and put wet dog food in and freeze it. That usually takes a good 30 minutes to finish.

There are a lot of great youtube videos out there for dog training and they are free. Kikopup is probably. Good luck though, I get how you're feeling. My puppy is making my lab look calm....

She's a hound mix (has some beagle and schipperke). She just turned 11 but is still so crazy... The problem I had last time I tried to teach her a trick was that she just started drooling everywhere and would only focus on the treat :laugh:

She's a hound mix (has some beagle and schipperke). She just turned 11 but is still so crazy... The problem I had last time I tried to teach her a trick was that she just started drooling everywhere and would only focus on the treat :laugh:

Aww is she the cutie in your avatar?

And sounds like a beagle haha. Using a clicker might help with that situation. You can keep the cookies hidden in your pocket and get her motivated for the click and test afterward.

I taught my yellow lab to hug on command. :)

It is a stupid trick but it's cute. :)

Reactions: 9 users
I taught my lab to sneeze on command. Does that qualify as a stupid trick?
Idk if someone could teach me to sneeze on command so that is actually pretty impressive

So the lovely 12 year old yellow dog in my avatar has been PU/PD since January and started having accidents last week. Granted she has gotten older, had two litters of puppies (and has the mammary tumors as a result), spayed later in life etc. but when blood work shows nothing wrong and the urinalysis shows she's not concentrating urine and it's too dilute to determine if she has a UTI, I'm getting a little frustrated. NOT looking for medical advice, just needed to rant a little. With her age, I don't want to put a ton of money into diagnostics but would like to understand why her kidneys aren't functioning properly.

So the lovely 12 year old yellow dog in my avatar has been PU/PD since January and started having accidents last week. Granted she has gotten older, had two litters of puppies (and has the mammary tumors as a result), spayed later in life etc. but when blood work shows nothing wrong and the urinalysis shows she's not concentrating urine and it's too dilute to determine if she has a UTI, I'm getting a little frustrated. NOT looking for medical advice, just needed to rant a little. With her age, I don't want to put a ton of money into diagnostics but would like to understand why her kidneys aren't functioning properly.
Not medical advice of course, but I personally will culture a very dilute urine to r/o infection. And as the vet students may tell you, renal values don’t elevate on labwork until a large percentage of the nephron function is already failing. Or maybe there’s another cause if pu/pd not related to her kidneys. Etc.

Not medical advice of course, but I personally will culture a very dilute urine to r/o infection. And as the vet students may tell you, renal values don’t elevate on labwork until a large percentage of the nephron function is already failing. Or maybe there’s another cause if pu/pd not related to her kidneys. Etc.
We are culturing and have done an SDMA as well. She does have evidence in her mammary tumors of a neoplasm so it's possible it could be paraneoplastic.

I taught my cat to high five and jump up and down on things. Does that count for anything? :thinking:
My giant ball of cat fluff can sit, come, sit up with his front paws in the air, stand all the way up on his back feet (this is my favorite, he's so tall!), jump up on a surface, and jump down from a surface on command. You know. When he feels like listening.

Reactions: 6 users
My giant ball of cat fluff can sit, come, sit up with his front paws in the air, stand all the way up on his back feet (this is my favorite, he's so tall!), jump up on a surface, and jump down from a surface on command. You know. When he feels like listening.
My cat can bite me, but that's not on command

Reactions: 10 users
I haven't been feeling well the past few days. I was walking and then laid down flat on the floor because I thought I was about to faint. The younger cat who almost never meows but came up to me and gave me a little kiss and a meow that almost had a little upward inflection to it like "Are you okay, human?"before cuddling up next to me on the floor and giving more kisses because he's a good boy. His big brother (pictured in my avatar) then jumped off his favorite spot on the couch a moment later to come cuddle up with me on the floor too. I had rolled over a little to my side in case of vomit by then and the older cat laid in his usual begind the knees sleeping position too like he thought this was just where we were sleeping now. They are all very cuddly and naps are a team sport at our house. Lol.

It was sweet. Such good bears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Hello! Has anyone tried to groom their dogs to avoid spending $50 every few months at the groomers?

I bought some clippers and well, I am terrible at it! :rofl:Does it get better with practice? Any tips?

Hello! Has anyone tried to groom their dogs to avoid spending $50 every few months at the groomers?

I bought some clippers and well, I am terrible at it! :rofl:Does it get better with practice? Any tips?
Did you get really good clippers? I shave my dogs every summer and good clippers and a grooming table help a lot.

I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but having a dog with even slight abnormalities could throw off the validity of their proposed study; they have to be very, very selective in what animals are included. I know it's a bummer, especially with the related cost, but their limited funding needs to go toward those animals which can further their work. I think you're right to spend the money and make sure everything is OK - just think, if there IS something wrong (and hopefully not), you've caught it WAY earlier than you might have if you hadn't even tried to sign Ziggy up!
I understand him not being able to be included, I never said I didn't.

I can still feel sad that they said he now requires a procedure that I will have to spend a bunch of money for. A procedure he would've gotten for free if they didn't see anything initially, indicating he didn't need the procedure. Pretty ironic.

Ziggy and jasmine both can sit on command (especially when treats are involved). Does this count? :p