All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol I see a cat toy that is loved by many SDNers
Extension cords? Lol. I got him this toy the day that I adopted him and he’s played with it maybe twice since. His favorite toy is that big blue circle thing with the ball that goes around the circumference and cardboard scratching thing in the middle. Every time he wakes up from a nap he goes over and uses it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Extension cords? Lol. I got him this toy the day that I adopted him and he’s played with it maybe twice since. His favorite toy is that big blue circle thing with the ball that goes around the circumference and cardboard scratching thing in the middle. Every time he wakes up from a nap he goes over and uses it.
My boy used to have that blue circular one when he was a baby. Then he got too excited one day and peed on it lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
813E565D-1E52-4A23-BBF7-EEEA1F7891D5.jpeg

2B85FC7B-0A5C-435E-AD42-0238E1200820.jpeg
CD4C3EF8-59B1-45BA-9AEF-0F12D186E8D6.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Realized I missed Diego's birthday on the 24th so I threw him a mini party today! He thought it was dumb :laugh:

95512470_10158374625608189_6342704069466914816_o.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
BETTER GET ON DOWN TO THE DMV AND GET HIM HIS LICENSE!!!!!
Wait does Canada have the same driving age as the US

Lol yes I think so? Idk if Diego is responsible enough to drive though... he likes to go ZOOM on his own lord help us if he's in a car :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’m back and I can’t deal with how cute she is sometimes
C0EC1E25-44A8-449F-90C5-4F8631B447A8.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
She’s up to a whopping 5 lbs and enjoys hanging with the family :love:
0B774864-562E-4574-8C8D-67838A8F4B6A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had this little monster three weeks now. He's a really good puppy most of the time. He will reliably sit, is pretty good at laying down, and has good recall for his age. Still working on the socialization and meeting new people and dogs because of social distancing, but he's doing pretty well. You can follow him on instagram if you're into that sort of thing. @murphy.thecairn

IMG_3290.jpeg
IMG_3360.jpeg
IMG_3259.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
This morning I said goodbye to my heart dog, Emerson. My heart is shattered but I'm also grateful for the 14 years we had together. He was the dog of a lifetime and I'm not really sure how to begin adjusting to a new normal :cryi:
100_1173.JPG

IMG_0900 copy.jpg

80389373_10103923664362207_4460456934285246464_o.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 17 users
Peter has had chin acne for the past month and it may actually be dermatophytosis since it’s spreading to his legs and stomach and it’s fitting the description pretty well. I’m bringing him in to derm next week but in the meantime it was recommended that I bathe him with a special shampoo. So here’s Peter looking all gross. The third pic was after I had already dried him as much as possible. He just has very thick fur.
76563AAF-9A79-4EBD-8073-F3C61DD0664B.jpeg
57048580-4DDA-4473-BDE7-376AC2832AB5.jpeg
887F3E3B-46AD-4A0F-8C0A-9C94B7907C1E.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Peter has had chin acne for the past month and it may actually be dermatophytosis since it’s spreading to his legs and stomach and it’s fitting the description pretty well. I’m bringing him in to derm next week but in the meantime it was recommended that I bathe him with a special shampoo. So here’s Peter looking all gross. The third pic was after I had already dried him as much as possible. He just has very thick fur.

He seems like he handled the bath very well.

I jumped my horse for like the first time in almost two years :biglove: Crossing my fingers that when we move I'll be able to get back into showing a little but who knows with residency...

99127528_10158420260143189_5055919064287805440_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Does anybody know any alternatives to duck pill pockets? Greenies discontinued them and my dog is allergic to chicken. :-(

Don't they have cheese and peanut butter flavors too?

Or you can make your own probably by mixing peanut butter with cornstarch to thicken it.

They do, but those flavors all contain chicken unfortunately. I'll try the cornstarch + peanut butter!

Does anybody know any alternatives to duck pill pockets? Greenies discontinued them and my dog is allergic to chicken. :-(
Vetoquinol makes a pill wrap and I don’t think it had chicken in it?
There’s also Zoe pill pops, but I don’t remember if they have chicken. But they have a bunch of different weird flavors

Vetoquinol makes a pill wrap and I don’t think it had chicken in it?
There’s also Zoe pill pops, but I don’t remember if they have chicken. But they have a bunch of different weird flavors

Thanks! Vetoquinol doesn’t have chicken! :D

I’m gonna miss this once I have to go back to work
491B008B-B804-446E-8852-CF6A4DF75889.jpeg
431283CD-C0DA-407C-BC04-6FDAE106F4DE.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I have a question for anyone who is more experienced regarding core vaccinations and treatments.
I am flying my dog from Australia to California hopefully in July/August this year pending when I can get transport for him. I just wanted to check that I have everything up to date that I will need to organise for him when he arrives.
For his flight he needs to have his core vaccinations up to date (Parvo, distemper, hepatitis) I am also looking at getting his Rabies done here in Australia prior to transport (although some have recommended that I want until I get to the US as the vaccine is better and much cheaper?)
I am not wanting to take risks with such a big move so might try and organise that before I go.

He is currently on Nexguard Spectra for Ticks/Flea/Worm/HW here in Aus so I will probably try and keep that the same.

Do I need to be looking into Lepto vaccine? What am I missing?

I am I probably being overly cautious, however I am not as familiar with routine health there in the US as I have only ever travelled for holidays until this year! Excited to bring my dog over with me for Internship and given that I am currently sitting here in Australia waiting for my visa, thought it was a perfect time to ask!

I have a question for anyone who is more experienced regarding core vaccinations and treatments.
I am flying my dog from Australia to California hopefully in July/August this year pending when I can get transport for him. I just wanted to check that I have everything up to date that I will need to organise for him when he arrives.
For his flight he needs to have his core vaccinations up to date (Parvo, distemper, hepatitis) I am also looking at getting his Rabies done here in Australia prior to transport (although some have recommended that I want until I get to the US as the vaccine is better and much cheaper?)
I am not wanting to take risks with such a big move so might try and organise that before I go.

He is currently on Nexguard Spectra for Ticks/Flea/Worm/HW here in Aus so I will probably try and keep that the same.

I am I probably being overly cautious, however I am not as familiar with routine health there in the US as I have only ever travelled for holidays until this year! Excited to bring my dog over with me for Internship and given that I am currently sitting here in Australia waiting for my visa, thought it was a perfect time to ask!

California wants you to have a certificate of rabies vaccination on arrival, so you should definitely get that done before you come if you want things to go smoothly. The tricky thing is that at the federal level it isn't required coming from Australia, but you always have to check the state-level stuff too.

Lepto isn't required by any state or federal rules as far as I know.

Sources:
All domestic dogs must be healthy. Dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is not required for privately owned dogs being brought into the State of California. Persons bringing dogs into California with intent to sell or transfer ownership must have a health certificate completed by a licensed veterinarian within the 10 days prior to the date of importation. The person seeking to bring a dog into the state must send a copy of the health certificate to the county health department in the county in which the dog is to be sold or in the county of residence of the person who is receiving the dog. All persons transporting dogs via commercial air should call the airline for any additional requirements they might have.

Someone correct me if my GP knowledge isn’t up to date, but I don’t believe Nexgard Spectra is available in the US. The equivalent would mean either pairing regular Nexgard with something like Heartgard, or switching to a different all in one product like simparica trio, which is the a newer product and the only one I can think of in the US that does F/T/HW plus some intestinal parasites. The US is weird and at least a few years ago we didn’t have any all in one products for dogs, and only very recently did we get products like Revolution Plus and Bravecto Plus for cats.

I can’t help much on the import requirement front, but just so you know, Nexgard Spectra isn’t available in the US so if you want to keep him on that, be sure to bring yourself some. We only have one all-in-one flea/tick/heartworm medication here, which is Simparica Trio...it just came out and isn’t very widely available yet as far as I know. Most people still use two products, one for fleas/ticks and one for heartworm.

Reactions: 2 users
I can’t help much on the import requirement front, but just so you know, Nexgard Spectra isn’t available in the US so if you want to keep him on that, be sure to bring yourself some. We only have one all-in-one flea/tick/heartworm medication here, which is Simparica Trio...it just came out and isn’t very widely available yet as far as I know. Most people still use two products, one for fleas/ticks and one for heartworm.
Jinx lol

Getting to the US is the easy part. Not too many hurdles to clear for getting here. Depending on which state you're traveling to, you might need to have a rabies vaccine for him. See USDA APHIS | APHIS Pet Travel for a drop-down menu for what you need.

The more difficult process is going back to Australia once you've been in the US. That same page above has another menu where you can look at the requirements for the return trip. Australia has, by far, the most steps I've ever had to follow to issue a health certificate. I think the most important thing to remember when starting the process is that you have to wait a minimum of 6 months from the rabies titer before your dog can enter Australia. So you have to be super-organized about the whole process.

@VetofHearts - per UC Davis - "In addition, the leptospirosis vaccine is now recommended as a core vaccine for dogs in California because the disease has the potential to occur in any dog (even in urban environments), can be life-threatening, and the vaccines are considered safe and efficacious, with recent improvements in safety over the last decade." Link

IMG_2863.jpg

My old man cat spends a lot of his time like this. But tonight, he was jumping around like a 2-year-old, racing after the toy on a string I was tossing for him. He's the absolute best cat ever. There will never be another one like him. :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Aww, what a great cat, @genny ! :)

I have a 14.5 year old baby girl who is just like that. I have numerous pillows set up around my room for her where she spends a lot of time cuddled up. She also takes naps in my chest, which is one of the closest things to heaven on this Earth. But, occasionally, she'll surprise me and get really into one of my twins' toys, even at 14.

IMG_20200523_162407_368.jpg

I am going to miss this the most when I move 10 hours away to school (besides family, boyfriend, friends). For years and years this has been my outlet and I hope I can find a couple hours here and there to sneak away to ride while at school.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Thanks everyone for your super helpful advice!!! I swear my rational brain goes out the window when I am dealing with my own dog and I have been getting confused about the requirements.

Thanks also for letting me know about Nexguard Spectra, I wonder if I buy it here if I will have trouble travelling with it. I may have to do some more investigation regarding what heart worm treatments are available in the US for an MDR1 affected dog.
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your super helpful advice!!! I swear my rational brain goes out the window when I am dealing with my own dog and I have been getting confused about the requirements.

Thanks also for letting me know about Nexguard Spectra, I wonder if I buy it here if I will have trouble travelling with it. I may have to do some more investigation regarding what heart worm treatments are available in the US for an MDR1 affected dog.
Thank you!
Nexgard Spectra is just Nexgard with milbemycin, and interceptor is just milbemycin, so you could try doing some research into giving regular nexgard and regular interceptor. Interceptor plus is milbemycin and praziquantel. But if you were concerned about finding products with the same active ingredients, look into nexgard and regular interceptor.

Thank you!
All the heartworm prevention products labeled for dogs in the US are at a low enough dose that they don't pose any additional risk to MDR1 mutants. The only ones I've seen caution warnings about are combo products with spinosad (like Trifexis) or combining a spinosad-only product (like Comfortis) with a macrocyclic lactone.

All the heartworm prevention products labeled for dogs in the US are at a low enough dose that they don't pose any additional risk to MDR1 mutants. The only ones I've seen caution warnings about are combo products with spinosad (like Trifexis) or combining a spinosad-only product (like Comfortis) with a macrocyclic lactone.
Heartgard plus (which has ivermectin, for OP) even uses a collie on their packaging to advertise that it’s okay for them

Do weight management kibbles actually work or are they more of a marketing scheme? A veterinarian told me they're a marketing scheme but I'd like to hear some more opinions. My boyfriend's cat is sensitive to wet food (easily gets diarrhea) but has exploded on dry food only. The other issue is his other cat is a grazer and the tubby one will just finish what she doesn't. I'm going to see if my boyfriend will pay for the Purina EN wet food but getting him to spend money on his cats is like pulling teeth (extremely frustrating as you can imagine). Open to hear any suggestions! Thanks!

Do weight management kibbles actually work or are they more of a marketing scheme? A veterinarian told me they're a marketing scheme but I'd like to hear some more opinions. My boyfriend's cat is sensitive to wet food (easily gets diarrhea) but has exploded on dry food only. The other issue is his other cat is a grazer and the tubby one will just finish what she doesn't. I'm going to see if my boyfriend will pay for the Purina EN wet food but getting him to spend money on his cats is like pulling teeth (extremely frustrating as you can imagine). Open to hear any suggestions! Thanks!
I had success getting my cat to a healthy weight on perfect weight non-prescription food from Hill's. My dog is currently doing similar on another weight control non-prescription diet.

The prescription foods work as well, but frankly it's more important to actively control food intake than just switching to a lower calorie food imo. Free feeding simply isn't successful for animals who've already demonstrated that they can't control themselves with that kind of feeding schedule. It's definitely a lot harder with multiple pets to feed - when my cat lived with other cats, it was most successful to feed them completely separately and keep the grazer's food either away from where the fat cat could access it or feed them an amount they'd actually eat, but set them into another room to eat more frequently so they could still get the amount they needed each day.

Pets can lose weight on any food so long as calories are controlled (and the amount fed has enough protein for their needs, although they'd still lose weight, just not healthily).

Reactions: 4 users
I had success getting my cat to a healthy weight on perfect weight non-prescription food from Hill's. My dog is currently doing similar on another weight control non-prescription diet.

The prescription foods work as well, but frankly it's more important to actively control food intake than just switching to a lower calorie food imo. Free feeding simply isn't successful for animals who've already demonstrated that they can't control themselves with that kind of feeding schedule. It's definitely a lot harder with multiple pets to feed - when my cat lived with other cats, it was most successful to feed them completely separately and keep the grazer's food either away from where the fat cat could access it or feed them an amount they'd actually eat, but set them into another room to eat more frequently so they could still get the amount they needed each day.

Pets can lose weight on any food so long as calories are controlled (and the amount fed has enough protein for their needs, although they'd still lose weight, just not healthily).
Yes, I have also suggested separating them but he says that's too difficult because they don't like being separated :annoyed:

• Okay...
Yes, I have also suggested separating them but he says that's too difficult because they don't like being separated :annoyed:
This just makes me think of nearly every client who turns down all recommendations and then is upset that their pet is still having problems. But yea I’ve found that when nothing is changed aside from switching to a lower calorie weight management food, the pet just ends up eating enough to make up the difference and nothing changes
F53E7AF8-111D-40FC-B804-4FAFA3FC8BB8.gif

I’m spaying my kitten on Thursday! She will also be my first hernia repair :D

Reactions: 6 users