All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When Lil Mac is older I'm hoping he'll be less obnoxious, but he's almost two and still a total butthead so I doubt it.

Every time I see him grooming my roommate's cat I get excited because maybe Lil Mac is finally learning to be nice, but he always licks twice to lull the other cat into a false sense of security and then bites the crap out of him. :yeahright:
Gandalf is almost 3 and still no signs of maturity...
He does the same thing, licks Cindy WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING and then pounces on her. Not every time. Because if he did it every time she would expect it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Gandalf is almost 3 and still no signs of maturity...
He does the same thing, licks Cindy WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING and then pounces on her. Not every time. Because if he did it every time she would expect it.
Lil Mac does it every time. Jared is just very trusting.

My 2 will do that.

Idiot lump cat goes up and starts tenderly grooming his sister's head. Fast forward 15-60 seconds and he bats her, wraps his legs around, bites her, and the battle is on.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I find that a lot of people who aren't at capacity with pets end up getting a puppy when their current dog hits like 3 years old. Like it takes that long to get over having a puppy and think back without vitriol at the idea, haha.

I waited until my dog was 8. It took that long for the pain of her puppyhood to wear off!

I hardcore want a kitten...but I'm really worried that the Princess of a cat that I have wouldn't take to well to a sibling:confused:

We didn't give our two a choice. But feliway is a miracle worker/greatest invention ever

So, my inlaws got me a DNA kit for my beloved three-legged dog. I just swabbed him tonight and I'm curious to hear guesses as to what might come back from unbiased animal folks (you!).

Background:
- 45-ish lbs, but probably would sit ideal at 50 if he had 4 legs, I keep him on the low side of ideal to help protect his joints
- Have had him 6 years, but don't know anything about where he came from, he was 2-4 yrs old at the time. He looks exactly the same (size, etc) now as he did then
- He was heartworm+ and recently missing the leg when I got him (not really necessary to breed guessing, but he's a trooper)
- If you like to consider personality/temperment - he is very laid back, prefers sitting on the couch to going on walks. He will go to a dog park and watch the other dogs, but doesn't really engage, mostly disinterested. Doesn't play with toys (not for lack of me trying and he has 800, just doesn't touch them). Very cuddly, loves people.
- Yes, I have professional photos of my dog in a bow tie
- I put in two front photos (his face is a little boxier in person than in the professional photo) and a side shot
- Uploaded all photos as thumbnails not to overwhelm, but can come back and put them fullsize if needed

TSR_7458_print.jpg
FullSizeRender (11).jpg
F0CEB13E-319A-4375-BC31-B1B955FFA745.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
So I paid my friend to watch after my nerite snail over Christmas break (long story short, I had a nerite snail and a betta fish, betta fish died) because I didn't want her to stress her out with 12 hours of being in a car ride for a couple weeks. I got her back on Sunday and she was in bad shape. Shell had lost its shine, she wasn't latching to the walls, and dark brown around the foot. I went out to petco today and got a live plant to cheer her up and help with the carbon cycle so it's more of a "natural environment" aaand I get back to my apartment and she's dead. :(

So now I have a nice pretty tank with a nice, new plant in it aaaaaand no fish to put in it. :yeahright:

So I paid my friend to watch after my nerite snail over Christmas break (long story short, I had a nerite snail and a betta fish, betta fish died) because I didn't want her to stress her out with 12 hours of being in a car ride for a couple weeks. I got her back on Sunday and she was in bad shape. Shell had lost its shine, she wasn't latching to the walls, and dark brown around the foot. I went out to petco today and got a live plant to cheer her up and help with the carbon cycle so it's more of a "natural environment" aaand I get back to my apartment and she's dead. :(

So now I have a nice pretty tank with a nice, new plant in it aaaaaand no fish to put in it. :yeahright:
:(
But you're getting a new betta though, yes?

@cdoconn, I did not know what a "nerite snail" looked like - so I searched for an image online. It is a beautiful snail! Very sorry to learn about your recent loss.

@cdoconn, I did not know what a "nerite snail" looked like - so I searched for an image online. It is a beautiful snail! Very sorry to learn about your recent loss.
Thank you DrS! They call them a "zebra nerite" but that might just be a petco name. Her name was Lexi, so she was my Sexy Lexi hahaha

Here's a general example of what they look like.
Nerite1.jpg

Look at that mouth omg. Snails are just adorable.
Nerite.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
:(
But you're getting a new betta though, yes?
That's the plan! I'm going to look tomorrow. I looked at Petco today when I got the live plant, but the ones I looked at didn't look too good. So I might check a different store.

Pardon the dirty glass. I'm also really liking the look of the live plant (the one on the right below the betta hammock) so I might get a second one and replace the plastic one (one on the left) with a spread out, short live plant. I kinda just wanna see how the new fish interacts with it first. I have dreams of maybe one day wrapping a live plant on the betta log.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 62
Thank you DrS! They call them a "zebra nerite" but that might just be a petco name. Her name was Lexi, so she was my Sexy Lexi hahaha

Nerite1.jpg

Nerite.jpg
I love little snail radulas

Reactions: 3 users

Nerite1.jpg

Nerite.jpg
@cdoconn, They are beautiful!

It never ceases to amaze me how stunningly beautiful so many living creatures are on this planet!

This tiny snail is another example of the true beauty of Nature!

I hope you obtain some new nerite snails and betta fish for your aquarium because your aquarium is lovely!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the plan! I'm going to look tomorrow. I looked at Petco today when I got the live plant, but the ones I looked at didn't look too good. So I might check a different store.

Pardon the dirty glass. I'm also really liking the look of the live plant (the one on the right below the betta hammock) so I might get a second one and replace the plastic one (one on the left) with a spread out, short live plant. I kinda just wanna see how the new fish interacts with it first. I have dreams of maybe one day wrapping a live plant on the betta log.
Look at the betta "hammock" in the upper right-hand area of your aquarium!

Seriously, I think those little "leaf hammocks" are so CUTE!!!!!

And now that I know the fish do, in fact, rest themselves on those cute little leaf hammocks, I think that is really adorable!

Reactions: 4 users

One of my nerites died over break, and my little tiny one isn't doing too well right now :( I love them though. Cute little dudes.

I never had good luck with snails. I don't think I ever had one last more than a few months. I tried shrimp too, with similar results, but I also had no idea that a betta would attack and kill a bamboo shrimp.
Yeah my ghost shrimp lasted maybe a week...and one of them didn't even last a day

I actually have heard some people use ghost shrimp a fun treats for bettas! I just thought a 2" bamboo shrimp would probably be ok.
I found that out after the fact lol
But yeah you would think that a shrimp a similar size to a betta would be fine. They're vicious little devils.

I found that out after the fact lol
But yeah you would think that a shrimp a similar size to a betta would be fine. They're vicious little devils.
At times like this, I just refer to the general 'anatomy' of a betta fish.
151195_0.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Look at the betta "hammock" in the upper right-hand area of your aquarium!

Seriously, I think those little "leaf hammocks" are so CUTE!!!!!

And now that I know the fish do, in fact, rest themselves on those cute little leaf hammocks, I think that is really adorable!
Speaking of! I tried to get a pic last night but Nathaniel isn't a camera hoe. He was just chilling on his little leaf hammock last night!

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: 1 users
My street-found friend (his name is vitamin :) )

02ecc9e4fc.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Good thoughts for my kitty would be appreciated, she's been vomiting quite a bit since Sunday night (some food, but mostly clear, foamy liquid). I made an appointment to take her into school tomorrow, hopefully it's nothing major. :( I'm grateful she made it to 12 without any major health issues.

Reactions: 6 users
Good thoughts for my kitty would be appreciated, she's been vomiting quite a bit since Sunday night (some food, but mostly clear, foamy liquid). I made an appointment to take her into school tomorrow, hopefully it's nothing major. :( I'm grateful she made it to 12 without any major health issues.

Let us know how she is. Sending good thoughts your way

Reactions: 4 users
Peeps who live in the southern states - what do you use for your indoor cats for flea and heartworm prevention? Dogs are on Vectra 3D and Heartgard.

Leaving for GA in 2 weeks. It was questionable but my 2 kitties are coming with! 14 yo kitty is doing amazing on felimazole, budesonide, and B12. 5 yo PU kitty has a UTI but isn't clinical and it's sensitive to many things so we'll just keep treating him as long as he's happy and not antibiotic resistant.

The stress I feel is unreal :heckyeah:

Peeps who live in the southern states - what do you use for your indoor cats for flea and heartworm prevention? Dogs are on Vectra 3D and Heartgard.

Leaving for GA in 2 weeks. It was questionable but my 2 kitties are coming with! 14 yo kitty is doing amazing on felimazole, budesonide, and B12. 5 yo PU kitty has a UTI but isn't clinical and it's sensitive to many things so we'll just keep treating him as long as he's happy and not antibiotic resistant.

I use Revolution for one of mine. The other is just on Heartgard.

I feel like it would be a little cold, especially in that cold y'all are having. I wouldn't know though.
theres probably 4-6 inches of snow currently. You get used to it and build up a tolerance and are eventually able to just wander around wearing just a flowing piece of cloth

@LyraGardenia, sending lots of warm thoughts to your ailing kitty and many warm thoughts to you.

Hope your kitty gets better!

( ( ( kitty and Lyra Gardenia ) ) )

FWIW ... @EngrSC:

I don't live in a southern state ... but I use Revolution for my cat.

Another +1 for revolution here. Used it on my cat in the heart of TX flea/heartworm land and still use it here in CO

theres probably 4-6 inches of snow currently. You get used to it and build up a tolerance and are eventually able to just wander around wearing just a flowing piece of cloth
@SkiOtter, and I thought I was suffering here - in sunny weather, with no snow. My lab coat is way too warm!

Can someone please explain to me why my cat feels the need to eat every book and newspaper that gets near him? :arghh:

I am so sorry to you from the bottom of my heart because my kitty is a very adorable, sweet, loving menace and thorn in my side.

Yeah this is so true that I am laughing and crying at the same time