All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone had any opinions about Royal Canin’s breed specific diets?

I have a Shih Tzu with allergies, constantly itchy skin, and chronic ear infections {not seeking medical advice}. He’s on a Cytopoint injection, but it only lasts about 4-5 weeks, instead of the “up to 8” that it promises.

RC’s Shih Tzu diet has a lot of built in Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s as well as EPA, DHA and Vitamin A. I’m wondering if it’s worth the increased price to give it a try.

All my pets are on either RC or Hill's, and I love both brands. Millie is on RC calm and she'll be on it forever because it works for her - I totally didn't expect it to. I don't have personal experience with the other diets but in general I'm a big fan of expensive pet food. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
All my pets are on either RC or Hill's, and I love both brands. Millie is on RC calm and she'll be on it forever because it works for her - I totally didn't expect it to. I don't have personal experience with the other diets but in general I'm a big fan of expensive pet food. ;)
oh that’s good!! Simba’s 10 in November, and he’s been on cheap pet food his whole life, I really want him to have as good (and long) of a life as possible, I believe good food is going to help that. Plus if they can make him less dependent on regular injections/ give a better QOL, I’m all for that!

I agree with DVMD I'd probably talk to your vet about a rx food trial if you're really worried. An OTC fortified food like you're talking may help, but you'd maybe see better results with rx, which usually have even more of the 'good stuff' before that technology trickles down into their otc lines...who knows. I checked out the price of their Westie food a couple weeks ago just out of curiosity and it wasn't really any cheaper than Winston's current RC prescription diet. If I ever get another westie I might consider feeding the breed specific food? I had clients during my internship that fed the Lab version an the Chihuahua formula, they seemed happy. The lab pieces were giant to make them slow down and chew. The chihuahua owners crushed it up more because their pup was like 1 kg and it was fun to write "crushed Chihuahua' on the food line of his treatment sheet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay, well that’s good that it’s on par.

TIL they make a rx food for allergies/ skin support. I’ll talk to my vet about getting him on that/ seeing if it’s something worth talking to the parents about!
Has he ever been worked up for allergies to determine if he has a food allergy +/- environmental allergies? I agree with DVMD that a workup with your vet and a possible food trial might be a good idea to pursue

Royal Canin is terrible in general.
Much like the website run by a dentist, I'll be ignoring your uninformed opinions.

Royal canin is a good food made with quality ingredients. Not all dogs do well on all diets, and if food allergies are a concern, talk to your vet.

If food allergies aren't a concern you might ask about hill's derm defense. It doesn't help everyone, but I have one hot mess of a patient it makes a huge difference for.

Reactions: 9 users
Royal Canin is terrible in general.
Lol . There's always one.

Does anyone had any opinions about Royal Canin’s breed specific diets?

I have a Shih Tzu with allergies, constantly itchy skin, and chronic ear infections {not seeking medical advice}. He’s on a Cytopoint injection, but it only lasts about 4-5 weeks, instead of the “up to 8” that it promises.

RC’s Shih Tzu diet has a lot of built in Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s as well as EPA, DHA and Vitamin A. I’m wondering if it’s worth the increased price to give it a try.
You can always try it and see if it helps, bt I agree with what others have said, prescription diet might do ya better without much of an increase in cost over the OTC stuff. Talk to your vet ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input, friends! :) we’re at an appointment now to talk food, get ears meds, and a new cytopoint! :)

Okie dokie so I just got back from the vet. We had a nice conversation about food today, basically he said that there’s no harm in trying the Shih Tzu specific diet, but if we’re interested in actually seeing if it can work, a prescription diet is going to be the best bet. So he’s going to be on the Hill’s Derm Defense to get the maximum effect. I’m seeing on the website that it helps a lot with allergies and ear infections so I’m excited to see if this can help him!

Has he ever been worked up for allergies to determine if he has a food allergy +/- environmental allergies? I agree with DVMD that a workup with your vet and a possible food trial might be a good idea to pursue
he hasn’t been tested before, environmental allergies are most evident. The vet says that it’s likely not food allergies because the cytopoint injections help so much. (And as you know allergens are really really bad right now in TX)

Reactions: 8 users
Okie dokie so I just got back from the vet. We had a nice conversation about food today, basically he said that there’s no harm in trying the Shih Tzu specific diet, but if we’re interested in actually seeing if it can work, a prescription diet is going to be the best bet. So he’s going to be on the Hill’s Derm Defense to get the maximum effect. I’m seeing on the website that it helps a lot with allergies and ear infections so I’m excited to see if this can help him!

he hasn’t been tested before, environmental allergies are most evident. The vet says that it’s likely not food allergies because the cytopoint injections help so much. (And as you know allergens are really really bad right now in TX)
In case you didn’t know, the Vet student discount through Hills is crazy good. I’d sign up with Hills VIP and maybe even see how shipping costs added compares to your parents buying it at the Vet.

I know you’ve said your parents/brother have been kind of non-compliant about changing foods before when you’ve asked, so you may be able to just have it shipped directly to them to help make sure he stays on it if he responds well :)

20180711_203644.jpg

Too cute, can't handle

Reactions: 15 users
Tips for training your cat to not wake you up at freaking 4am and pester you incessantly until you get up and feed them welcome.

Yes, I’m already doing the play before bed and feed a small meal after.

Yes, I’m ignoring her when she pesters me (she headbutts, cheeks, and paws at my face and also purrs loudly).

I recently started moving breakfast to about 30 minutes after I get up so my cat stops associating me getting up with food time.

(This whole thing was not an issue before because I locked her out of my room, but I’m in a studio for a few weeks)

Tips for training your cat to not wake you up at freaking 4am and pester you incessantly until you get up and feed them welcome.

Yes, I’m ignoring her when she pesters me (she headbutts, cheeks, and paws at my face and also purrs loudly).

I recently started moving breakfast to about 30 minutes after I get up so my cat stops associating me getting up with food time.

(This whole thing was not an issue before because I locked her out of my room, but I’m in a studio for a few weeks)
Automatic feeder lol
don't know what else you can do, since you're already doing everything else i would suggest. Maybe a larger meal at night.

Members don't see this ad :)

I used to have to lock my kitten in the bathroom some nights when we lived in a studio. No other advice but my condolences.

My sleep schedule/quality improved drastically with an automatic feeder. Granted, it's difficult for a multicat household and it works for me because the instigator is the alpha cat so no one dares steal her food when the feeder activates. But it sounds like you just have the one so you might want to give it a try!

I'm dog sitting right now and his owner is a super active lady. He wakes me up with high pitched yapping between 5:30 and 6:30 am because that's the schedule he's used to. I feed him and go back to bed, and then he gets bored and wakes me up again around 8. It's so fun. :meh:

Well fiance and I ended up adopting Lilly. Only major thing she needed done was a dental which she got 14 teeth pulled yesterday. However she is eating and acting do much better today!

On another note I'm going to miss all my other pets staying home with my parents so much! My mom just threw a piece of mail at me and it went over my head downstairs and my cattle dog Sage fetched it for me :)
IMAG0962.jpeg
FB_IMG_1524506758182.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Well fiance and I ended up adopting Lilly. Only major thing she needed done was a dental which she got 14 teeth pulled yesterday. However she is eating and acting do much better today!

On another note I'm going to miss all my other pets staying home with my parents so much! My mom just threw a piece of mail at me and it went over my head downstairs and my cattle dog Sage fetched it for me :)
View attachment 237800View attachment 237802
Lilly's pic didn't load the first time :(
IMAG0962.jpeg

Hiking with Cats: How To Take Your Cat Camping?

I don't have a dog, and I've been thinking about picking up solo hiking, and in my reading I came across this instead.

I found this and it made me laugh and I wanted to share with the vetties. Now, I'm not going to be trying to take any cats with me, but I'm seriously wondering what you guys make of this.

My sister takes her kitty camping!!!!! He has a snazzy gps tracker that goes on his harness and he gets put on a tie out so he can explore the campsite some. He’s also gone rock climbing with her and friends.

So I have a friend whose dog is SUPER anxious all the time. It started out as separation anxiety, but my friend moved last fall, and since then her dog is on high alert always, at home, on walks, at the dog park, etc.. Her dog does not leave her side. It's sad to see because her aussie and mine get along really well, they used to chase squirrels while we horseback rode, and had a great time together. Now when my friend's dog is off leash she won't wander more than about 50 feet from her mom before she comes back. The owner has socialized this dog super well since she was a puppy, but the late-onset anxiety is making just being a dog really hard for the pup. The dog is now on Prozac to see if that will help her at all (it's been several months and it has not). So basically, does anyone have any tips for dogs with extreme anxiety?

So I have a friend whose dog is SUPER anxious all the time. It started out as separation anxiety, but my friend moved last fall, and since then her dog is on high alert always, at home, on walks, at the dog park, etc.. Her dog does not leave her side. It's sad to see because her aussie and mine get along really well, they used to chase squirrels while we horseback rode, and had a great time together. Now when my friend's dog is off leash she won't wander more than about 50 feet from her mom before she comes back. The owner has socialized this dog super well since she was a puppy, but the late-onset anxiety is making just being a dog really hard for the pup. The dog is now on Prozac to see if that will help her at all (it's been several months and it has not). So basically, does anyone have any tips for dogs with extreme anxiety?
My tip is to see a behaviorist. Their vet may have one they recommend.

Reactions: 7 users
This is a new one for me...

I woke up to my cats fighting. They never fight. Particularly alarming is the fact that my OG cat is snarling and growling. She has never done that to anyone in my experience with her (she loves people, loves belly rubs, etc). Come to find out, she has a mouse hanging out of her mouth. Not a live one. Very, very dead. She refuses to give me the mouse and eats it whole. She's now back to normal, lazing around happily.

That's one way to wake up early...

Side note--should I be worried that she ate a mouse?

Update: Gave her some Revolution in case there was roundworms in the mouse, but otherwise I'll just keep an eye on her for a bit.

My cat's main diet is mice so I'm going to guess she's fine :laugh: Depends on where you are I think, but the Revolution was a good idea!

Booking Manny in to get a laser shot into his eyeball :eek: He's always had this smallish uveal cyst but in the last 6 months it's gotten huge and is blocking about 1/3rd of his pupil when he's out in the sun, poor kid. So we're getting it laser ablated!

IMG_3873.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Had to put this pretty lady to sleep tonight. I left yesterday to go out of state for a wedding and came back tonight to her acting super weak and not interested in even her veggies (she was chowing down on them before I left). I knew she was losing weight and that we were on borrowed time since she was 7+ years old but didn't think tonight would be the night. Palpated and then confirmed on ultrasound a mixed echogenicity to cavitated mass that I swear I didn't feel last week. I feel like a jerk for being out of town but at least she's pain free now.

Attachments

• 20180620_165747.jpg
    20180620_165747.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 87
Had to put this pretty lady to sleep tonight. I left yesterday to go out of state for a wedding and came back tonight to her acting super weak and not interested in even her veggies (she was chowing down on them before I left). I knew she was losing weight and that we were on borrowed time since she was 7+ years old but didn't think tonight would be the night. Palpated and then confirmed on ultrasound a mixed echogenicity to cavitated mass that I swear I didn't feel last week. I feel like a jerk for being out of town but at least she's pain free now.
I'm sorry orca. :( Hugs!

@orca2011 very sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful pet. :(

Sending lots of gentle hugs to you.

Last edited:
Condolences :( Seems like you gave her lots of love in the extra years you had her!

Tips for moving 2 cats during a 10 hour drive? I already have a cat condo for them (the one every recommended on amazon) and I plan on putting both a litter bowl and a small bowl of water with them. They’ll be in my parents car with AC. Feeding schedule? Other tips?

Tips for moving 2 cats during a 10 hour drive? I already have a cat condo for them (the one every recommended on amazon) and I plan on putting both a litter bowl and a small bowl of water with them. They’ll be in my parents car with AC. Feeding schedule? Other tips?
Sounds like you've got it all down to me. I kept mine on their normal feeding schedule, they both get food at night and then old lady gets food in the morning too. I've never fed them during the trip since they don't really want to eat anyway.

Thanks guys. I've had Guinea pigs since my first year of vet school so it's weird to not hear them wheeking. I cant decide if I'd like to get another pair soon. I'm definitely going to take some time and would rescue a pair but may wait until I know I'm not moving on a yearly basis.

I drove across the country with my two. I didn't offer a litter box, water, or food while in the car but waited until we were at the hotel. It worked out well as they didn't need it while driving and I think it would've just spilled everywhere. I did give them cerenia a few days, per rec of my vet. Obviously, don't leave them in the car if it is hot out. We were lucky enough that it was cool while we were driving but you prob won't be as lucky. We ordered food and ate it in the car if need be, to make sure they kept cool.

Before and after of Manny's eye surgery! His pupil is still super dilated in the after photo so not the best comparison but you can see his cyst is gone :D

mannysmall.jpg

Reactions: 5 users