All LORs from Surgeons. Problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coninuteremedia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I saw some posts about people not having any LORs from surgeons, but wanted to pursue a surgical residency. I only have letters from surgeons (3 general, 1 vascular), and I want to apply to general surgery residencies. Will this lack of variety be a problem? Should I try to obtain a letter from a generalist who isn't a surgeon? Thank you for your time and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, okay good! A friend of mine was saying that the lack of variety "could be concerning."
Your friend doesn't know what they're talking about.

Its ok to have letters from certain non-surgeons if necessary but otherwise as @SouthernSurgeon notes, all your letters should be from surgeons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect the OP is an international graduate?? things may be different overseas. make sure you have letters from U.S. surgeons if you're applying to the U.S.

I am a DO student indeed. Thank you all again for the helpful replies.

DO students get some of the worst advice from peers and administration regarding surgery. I wonder if it's intentional or not.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with those above---all LORs should be from surgeons if possible. With 3 gen surg and 1 vascular you're definitely set