All my LORs will be from the semester I graduate, would that look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
In regards to professors, i realized VERY late that i should have been building a relationship with them, at least to get a strong LOR in the future. However, i did not, so here i am. I have 3 professors from classes i actually REALLY like but from this semester (gen lab, computational bio for science, and a bio ethics prof for non science), and have started to get to know them and see them a lot in office hours just a few weeks ago. My question is, does it look bad if theyre all from the same semester, that too, the semester im graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to professors, i realized VERY late that i should have been building a relationship with them, at least to get a strong LOR in the future. However, i did not, so here i am. I have 3 professors from classes i actually REALLY like but from this semester (gen lab, computational bio for science, and a bio ethics prof for non science), and have started to get to know them and see them a lot in office hours just a few weeks ago. My question is, does it look bad if theyre all from the same semester, that too, the semester im graduating?
That shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure to ask them if they can write you a strong LOR and to give them advanced notice before the deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
That shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure to ask them if they can write you a strong LOR and to give them advanced notice before the deadline.

Any specific thing i should say or avoid saying? Idk if it makes sense but, doesn't it sound weird to tell them something like "Hey make sure you write a STRONG one" hahah

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Any specific thing i should say or avoid saying? Idk if it makes sense but, doesn't it sound weird to tell them something like "Hey make sure you write a STRONG one" hahah
You don't TELL them to write a strong one. You ASK them if they are comfortable doing so. It will be very helpful if you have some skills reading between the lines, since they might not be blunt when they respond, if the answer is "not really." A letter that isn't strong will not help you, and that is your real risk when soliciting LORs from people you met 5 minutes ago! (I.e., you are desperate and not in a position to be picky, and you haven't had the time to develop the necessary relationship in order to have any idea whether they really like you, or have any real interest or skill in writing decent LORs.)

It's not lethal, but it is better if you can have a strong LOR from a professor that you've had for multiple semesters. Bonus points if that person was also a research mentor or otherwise worked with you on an EC project. I certainly wouldn't delay applying if you couldn't get any other LOR.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't TELL them to write a strong one. You ASK them if they are comfortable doing so. It will be very helpful if you have some skills reading between the lines, since they might not be blunt when they respond, if the answer is "not really." A letter that isn't strong will not help you, and that is your real risk when soliciting LORs from people you met 5 minutes ago! (I.e., you are desperate and not in a position to be picky, and you haven't had the time to develop the necessary relationship in order to have any idea whether they really like you, or have any real interest or skill in writing decent LORs.)

Yeah, i made the mistake of not going to office hours because my grades didn't need it. Realized way too late that i was being stupid and should've went regardless. Beggars can't be choosers so, im just gonna have to take what i can get and make the most out of my interactions with them

It's not lethal, but it is better if you can have a strong LOR from a professor that you've had for multiple semesters. Bonus points if that person was also a research mentor or otherwise worked with you on an EC project. I certainly wouldn't delay applying if you couldn't get any other LOR.

Ahh yeah. Unfortunately, i made another post about having zero research experience lol. Also, my school is so big that its kind of hard to stay with one professor for more than 1 semester.