Does it look bad if all of my experiences are from the same institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozyk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I moved to my current city 10 years ago to start undergrad for University X. About a week after graduating, I started working at UX’s affiliated health system, and have held that same position for 5 years.

Pretty much everything I have to show for myself is through UX. All of my clinical experience, research, and shadowing has been done here. Most, if not all, of my LOR’s will have a UX letterhead, from physicians and supervisors. I have great connections here that I’ve worked hard to make over the years.

The only thing I’ve really done outside of the university is non-clinical volunteering, which I’ve done out in the community.

Unsurprisingly, my top choice medical school is at University X. I love this city, the hospital, the patient population, and own a house just a few miles away.

My question is: am I doing myself a disservice by having almost all of my experiences at the same institution? Do I need to branch out, and if so, how?

Members don't see this ad.

I moved to my current city 10 years ago to start undergrad for University X. About a week after graduating, I started working at UX’s affiliated health system, and have held that same position for 5 years.

Pretty much everything I have to show for myself is through UX. All of my clinical experience, research, and shadowing has been done here. Most, if not all, of my LOR’s will have a UX letterhead, from physicians and supervisors. I have great connections here that I’ve worked hard to make over the years.

The only thing I’ve really done outside of the university is non-clinical volunteering, which I’ve done out in the community.

Unsurprisingly, my top choice medical school is at University X. I love this city, the hospital, the patient population, and own a house just a few miles away.

My question is: am I doing myself a disservice by having almost all of my experiences at the same institution? Do I need to branch out, and if so, how?
Many students (particularly traditional applicants) will be in this same situation. You've already branched out of the academic bubble through your non-clinical activities, so I don't think this will be held against you. Of course, if you have two or more non-UX-related volunteering experiences, all the better. Your Hobbies will also serve as another non-UX experience. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
I wouldn't worry about this. I did all of my undergrad and post-grad experiences at one institution, and I have had IIs from other institutions on the opposite coast. I think the quality of the experiences matters more than where you did them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a huge deal. You're fine. I had a single activity at one institution serving in a single position that accounted for all of my clinical and volunteering hours and was fine too!