All Others GPA/ Does it Matter?

Started by UMP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I calculated my GPA out AMCAS style, 2.77 Overall 2.89 Science. My big plan is take a crap load of science classes, bring up both my overall and science... I now just realized that my All Others GPA will be stagnant at God knows what? Probably a 2.65 or so. Does this matter at all ? I'm taking 15 credits right now, and was planning on 12 credits over the summer. Should I add a Political Science class in to the mix (there was one I had my eye on, it's 100-level though)? I'm planning on taking the August MCAT, so I wanted to take a slightly lighter load over the summer. I was a Biopsychology major in undergrad and had to take a fair bit of Social Science Psychology also, and received an A in there somewhere (I think :laugh: ).
 
UMP said:
So, I calculated my GPA out AMCAS style, 2.77 Overall 2.89 Science. My big plan is take a crap load of science classes, bring up both my overall and science... I now just realized that my All Others GPA will be stagnant at God knows what? Probably a 2.65 or so. Does this matter at all ? I'm taking 15 credits right now, and was planning on 12 credits over the summer. Should I add a Political Science class in to the mix (there was one I had my eye on, it's 100-level though)? I'm planning on taking the August MCAT, so I wanted to take a slightly lighter load over the summer. I was a Biopsychology major in undergrad and had to take a fair bit of Social Science Psychology also, and received an A in there somewhere (I think :laugh: ).

Non-science GPA also plays a role, but I think in most cases science GPA plays a bigger role for obvious reasons. I would go as far as to say that the sci GPA >= cumulative GPA > non-science GPA.

Really, I would probably focus on getting as many A's as possible in upper division science classes. A 2.89 is still in the red zone. GPA trends per quarter will also play a role. Essentially, adcoms want to see that you can do well with upper div science classes, under full-time conditions, while staying a well rounded person (e.g.: doing well in non-science classes, and EC's). So you have a double hit with a low science and non-science GPA. Therefore, I'd be more concerned about doing well in the classes, rather than just taking a "crapload of science classes".

Since there are so many variables in the application process it is best to have good stats in as many areas as possible. A deficient non-science GPA will rule you out when others have both high sci/non-sci GPA's. In fact, non-sci majors, who have decent science grades (sometimes lower on average than science majors) get into med school more easily. So that emphasizes the whole being well-rounded part.

But alas, if these students are incapable of getting A's in upper div science classes, then they're in trouble too considering the first 2 years of med school are mostly science classes.