(All) Pharmacy Jobs 2012

Started by JamesL1585
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, so I'm not sure if I feel this way because it's my turn to be in the hot seat looking for jobs or if it's because I've been told for awhile now, the class of 2012 will be the most challenged class to find jobs as the peak of new pharm schools starts here. A good analogy is to think of this as the baby boomers who turn 65... 2011 (this year) is the year of the first big wave of baby boomers are eligible to get medicare.... well in Pharmacy school 2012 is the year that a crap load of pharmacy schools gain full accreditation and it's supposed to smashmouth the market.

Also, I know this is early, but I actually had my first interview a week ago for next year with the company I've been working for for 2 years. I haven't gotten a call back for a second interview although my co-worker/friend has. So this also makes me a little worried. Anyways I digress.

What's you guys plans for jobs, what are your thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, so I'm not sure if I feel this way because it's my turn to be in the hot seat looking for jobs or if it's because I've been told for awhile now, the class of 2012 will be the most challenged class to find jobs as the peak of new pharm schools starts here. A good analogy is to think of this as the baby boomers who turn 65... 2011 (this year) is the year of the first big wave of baby boomers are eligible to get medicare.... well in Pharmacy school 2012 is the year that a crap load of pharmacy schools gain full accreditation and it's supposed to smashmouth the market.

Also, I know this is early, but I actually had my first interview a week ago for next year with the company I've been working for for 2 years. I haven't gotten a call back for a second interview although my co-worker/friend has. So this also makes me a little worried. Anyways I digress.

What's you guys plans for jobs, what are your thoughts?
Y'all are definitely going to be in the hot seat! Good luck! :luck:

(I'm looking at a couple of positions right now, which pay less of course, and honestly, it's a tough... even with experience. I make loads of money right now, but I find myself frustrated with sloppy, passive management. So what's a girl supposed to do?)
 
Y'all are definitely going to be in the hot seat! Good luck! :luck:

(I'm looking at a couple of positions right now, which pay less of course, and honestly, it's a tough... even with experience. I make loads of money right now, but I find myself frustrated with sloppy, passive management. So what's a girl supposed to do?)

Define "loads of money". 😱
 
Retail or hospital? residency?
Both. Full-time retail and prn hospital. No residency.

I'm looking at a retail and a hospital position right now, though. (But I keep asking myself, is the grass actually greener on the other side?) Some of the staff retail pharmacists at the place that I'm considering have worked in their positions for over a decade, and they seem to love, love, love it, and one of the nurses that I work with enjoyed working at the hospital that I'm interested in.

But should I wait another year and look for a different full-time retail or inpatient job after more of my debt is squared away? I mean... I like my retail and hospital jobs well enough, but I don't care for the retail management approach. Or will waiting make it that much harder next year? I don't know... It's not that obvious anymore, like I imagine it used to be for pharmacists during the pharmacy heyday.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a commute attached to those positions. Bummer...
 
Both. Full-time retail and prn hospital. No residency.

I'm looking at a retail and a hospital position right now, though. (But I keep asking myself, is the grass actually greener on the other side?) Some of the staff retail pharmacists at the place that I'm considering have worked in their positions for over a decade, and they seem to love, love, love it, and one of the nurses that I work with enjoyed working at the hospital that I'm interested in.

But should I wait another year and look for a different full-time retail or inpatient job after more of my debt is squared away? I mean... I like my retail and hospital jobs well enough, but I don't care for the retail management approach. Or will waiting make it that much harder next year? I don't know... It's not that obvious anymore, like I imagine it used to be for pharmacists during the pharmacy heyday.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a commute attached to those positions. Bummer...


So, You are working full time retail and prn hospital making 160K but you are not happy with it?? Is that the setting that you dont like? If you dont like a retail setting why would you wanna look for another retail job ??
 
Both. Full-time retail and prn hospital. No residency.

I'm looking at a retail and a hospital position right now, though. (But I keep asking myself, is the grass actually greener on the other side?) Some of the staff retail pharmacists at the place that I'm considering have worked in their positions for over a decade, and they seem to love, love, love it, and one of the nurses that I work with enjoyed working at the hospital that I'm interested in.

But should I wait another year and look for a different full-time retail or inpatient job after more of my debt is squared away? I mean... I like my retail and hospital jobs well enough, but I don't care for the retail management approach. Or will waiting make it that much harder next year? I don't know... It's not that obvious anymore, like I imagine it used to be for pharmacists during the pharmacy heyday.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a commute attached to those positions. Bummer...

if there is an open position NOW, you need to jump on it

the closer you get to may, the higher the chance a grad picks it up (even if its a position that requires experience, you never know with one's networking)
 
as far as $ goes, if thats what you want do retail

but if you want the chance to something bigger with your career, be willing to do a lower paying job and build yourself up....sure the money is lower up front, but the long term opportunities are much better ( i was in the former route, and ive jumped to the latter route)
 
I will be hiring hospital staff/clinical pharmacists next 5 years...probably between 5 to 10 positions along with starting a brand new PGY1 of 2 positions.

Expect to work your ass off though.

$60+ per hour.

There's your good news.

:meanie:
 
I will be hiring hospital staff/clinical pharmacists next 5 years...probably between 5 to 10 positions along with starting a brand new PGY1 of 2 positions.

Expect to work your ass off though.

$60+ per hour.

There's your good news.

:meanie:

You going back to DOP? If so I'm down for a residency spot. Too early to shoot you my CV? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You going back to DOP? If so I'm down for a residency spot. Too early to shoot you my CV? 🙂

Realistically speaking, residency will be July 2013 at the earliest and more likely 2014 summer. Yes, I'm going back to a DOP gig. Surprisingly, I got offered at every place I interviewed..4 different hospitals and basically chose what I wanted.. along with a massive counter offer from my current employer.

I learned that opportunities are still plentiful if you have the experience and qualification.

But looking forward to working Mon-Friday 8-4 and be home every night.
 
Both. Full-time retail and prn hospital. No residency.

I'm looking at a retail and a hospital position right now, though. (But I keep asking myself, is the grass actually greener on the other side?) Some of the staff retail pharmacists at the place that I'm considering have worked in their positions for over a decade, and they seem to love, love, love it, and one of the nurses that I work with enjoyed working at the hospital that I'm interested in.

But should I wait another year and look for a different full-time retail or inpatient job after more of my debt is squared away? I mean... I like my retail and hospital jobs well enough, but I don't care for the retail management approach. Or will waiting make it that much harder next year? I don't know... It's not that obvious anymore, like I imagine it used to be for pharmacists during the pharmacy heyday.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a commute attached to those positions. Bummer...

Here is something else to consider: Hospital financial stability.
In our area, some hospital organizations are skating on thin ice; and they will not disclose this to potential employees.
Our hospital has aggressive leadership that never stops looking for opportunities to succeed. This means outreach programs to new areas and new markets. I would closely examine the financial history of any organization I was applying for.
 
Realistically speaking, residency will be July 2013 at the earliest and more likely 2014 summer. Yes, I'm going back to a DOP gig. Surprisingly, I got offered at every place I interviewed..4 different hospitals and basically chose what I wanted.. along with a massive counter offer from my current employer.

I learned that opportunities are still plentiful if you have the experience and qualification.

But looking forward to working Mon-Friday 8-4 and be home every night.

imo this will always be true
 
Here is something else to consider: Hospital financial stability.
In our area, some hospital organizations are skating on thin ice; and they will not disclose this to potential employees.
Our hospital has aggressive leadership that never stops looking for opportunities to succeed. This means outreach programs to new areas and new markets. I would closely examine the financial history of any organization I was applying for.

Yeah 🙁. I wish I had looked into the financial stability of my current hospital a little more. Things are tight for everyone. Few hospitals around the area has done some lay off already due the fact nobody planned for a recession that just keeps on going.

On the other hand, Z is right about the salary and qualification. I was offered $60/hr fresh out of PYG-1, a little bargaining by me made them sweeten the deal a little more. 😉 There are still openings out there as long as you have the qualifications.

My personal advice to PGY-1s: try to spend 3 months in couple of the areas. You don't need to be evenly spread out to do internal med. I was also able to get offers for ID and oncology, probably because the extra months in these. A PYG-2 will still whip me big time but that's fair. :laugh:
 
Looking hard into the financial stability of a place is important.

I have worked at places that were in debt and it was really hard. You were worried about losing your job on a regular basis. The hospital I work at now just gave all employees a 4% raise. It makes a difference to work a place that is expanding on services instead of cutting things back.
 
Realistically speaking, residency will be July 2013 at the earliest and more likely 2014 summer. Yes, I'm going back to a DOP gig. Surprisingly, I got offered at every place I interviewed..4 different hospitals and basically chose what I wanted.. along with a massive counter offer from my current employer.

I learned that opportunities are still plentiful if you have the experience and qualification.

But looking forward to working Mon-Friday 8-4 and be home every night.

Guess I will have to buy you some In N Out burger or something (since I graduate in 2014) :meanie:
 
Realistically speaking, residency will be July 2013 at the earliest and more likely 2014 summer. Yes, I'm going back to a DOP gig. Surprisingly, I got offered at every place I interviewed..4 different hospitals and basically chose what I wanted.. along with a massive counter offer from my current employer.

I learned that opportunities are still plentiful if you have the experience and qualification.

But looking forward to working Mon-Friday 8-4 and be home every night.
I'm class of 2013 so it could work. I think with your fondness of ID, business, and coffee that we'd get along. I'd be more inclined to do a PGY1 with you if you had a PGY2 in ID though 😎. How many beds at your new hospital?
 
I'm class of 2013 so it could work. I think with your fondness of ID, business, and coffee that we'd get along. I'd be more inclined to do a PGY1 with you if you had a PGY2 in ID though 😎. How many beds at your new hospital?

You forgot "cars."

It's a good size hospital.
 
I will be hiring hospital staff/clinical pharmacists next 5 years...probably between 5 to 10 positions along with starting a brand new PGY1 of 2 positions.

Expect to work your ass off though.

$60+ per hour.

There's your good news.

:meanie:
Wow $60! That's more than the average retail pay. Where are you located?
 
So, You are working full time retail and prn hospital making 160K but you are not happy with it?? Is that the setting that you dont like? If you dont like a retail setting why would you wanna look for another retail job ??
I enjoy retail. I like working in a store, I like the product-driven aspect of retail, and heck, I like dealing with money. Counseling patients and interacting with them is usually enjoyable, too, but there are times that I don't care for it.

In particular, I'm not happy with the retail management. I leave work frustrated quite a bit. In retail, it's not where you work or what you do, it's who you work with/for that usually makes or breaks the deal. (I mean... Old Timer actually likes working for CVS?!) Some people might say that it's worth the frustration for 120K a year, what a typical retail pharmacist makes, but I'm not so sure. I have a hard time letting certain things slide, because I don't want a bigger mess to clean up later on. I mean... I have standards, you know? Some pharmacists refuse to clean up other peoples' mess, but eventually, you have to deal with that mess. Whether a patient comes in and wants to know why they only got #4 amlodipine tablets when the prescription says #30 (because your coworker checked the bottle that way), or why it wasn't on their insurance (because no one looked to see if they had insurance to bill in the first place), or that Protopic ointment that got dispensed to a 1 year old, etc., you still have to fix other peoples' problems... which should be the manager's problem!

if there is an open position NOW, you need to jump on it

the closer you get to may, the higher the chance a grad picks it up (even if its a position that requires experience, you never know with one's networking)
I know! And if there are any layoffs or stores that close in any chain, then it will be that much harder, since those pharmacists will be looking for work, too.

as far as $ goes, if thats what you want do retail

but if you want the chance to something bigger with your career, be willing to do a lower paying job and build yourself up....sure the money is lower up front, but the long term opportunities are much better ( i was in the former route, and ive jumped to the latter route)
Right. I just need to make up my mind... :scared:
 
I enjoy retail. I like working in a store, I like the product-driven aspect of retail, and heck, I like dealing with money. Counseling patients and interacting with them is usually enjoyable, too, but there are times that I don't care for it.

In particular, I'm not happy with the retail management. I leave work frustrated quite a bit. In retail, it's not where you work or what you do, it's who you work with/for that usually makes or breaks the deal. (I mean... Old Timer actually likes working for CVS?!) Some people might say that it's worth the frustration for 120K a year, what a typical retail pharmacist makes, but I'm not so sure. I have a hard time letting certain things slide, because I don't want a bigger mess to clean up later on. I mean... I have standards, you know? Some pharmacists refuse to clean up other peoples' mess, but eventually, you have to deal with that mess. Whether a patient comes in and wants to know why they only got #4 amlodipine tablets when the prescription says #30 (because your coworker checked the bottle that way), or why it wasn't on their insurance (because no one looked to see if they had insurance to bill in the first place), or that Protopic ointment that got dispensed to a 1 year old, etc., you still have to fix other peoples' problems... which should be the manager's problem!


I know! And if there are any layoffs or stores that close in any chain, then it will be that much harder, since those pharmacists will be looking for work, too.

I just need to make up my mind... :scared:

honestly, with the way ive seen things, if you have the chance to make the move, be bold and do it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
honestly, with the way ive seen things, if you have the chance to make the move, be bold and do it
I know, I know. ...or I could just wait until the hospital pharmacist leaves in 5 or 10 years and jump on that. If I had the choice, I would work at the hospital that I already work at full-time. Hmmm...
 
I know, I know. ...or I could just wait until the hospital pharmacist leaves in 5 or 10 years and jump on that. If I had the choice, I would work at the hospital that I already work at full-time. Hmmm...

do you have a gurantee they will give you that spot?
 
do you have a gurantee they will give you that spot?
Of course not! 😛
But it's either me, a hospital pharmacist (who likes her schedule), or agency. It's a small hospital with only one full-time pharmacist and two prn pharmacists.
 
What do you guys think about temp to hire hospital positions? Is it reasonable to start building a hospital experience with a temporary position? As far as i know there is no guaranty that you would get hired in the end.

Second option would be to sit down and wait for a full time position.

I appreciate your feedbacks.
 
The annual job fair I attended today had the fewest employers I have seen. This is my fourth year. I do have 3 interviews set up tomorrow, and have managed to avoid CVS and Walgreens. So I personally think things are still pretty good for the pharmacist. This is Chicago, which I imagine is a fairly saturated market. I don't want to jinx myself but I am expecting to land a position with my current employer whom I have interned with for over 3 years. *knock on wood*