All Pre-reqs at a CC.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iMedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have finished all the pre-reqs at a CC (even physics) and will be transferring a UC this fall as a bio major. Since I did them all at a CC, am I screwed? Will I be looked down upon in eyes of adcoms?

Does it really matter if I did them all at a CC? To be competitive enough to make it to Berkeley or UCLA, it is good to have as many pre-reqs as possible right? So I don't get why would adcoms would look down upon people who have taken them all at a CC. I will be taking upper division classes in science too so does it really matter if I did all my lower-div stuff at a CC?

If I do well in my upper division science classes when I transfer, it doesn't really matter right?

Members don't see this ad.

First, check the article on SDN written specifically about this topic. I definitely don't think you are screwed for taking your pre-reqs at a CC. As long as you do well with all your upper level courses, I'm sure they will see you can handle any class that comes your way-be it at a CC or university. The MCAT does a great job at leveling the playing field for all applicants. If you blow the MCAT out of the water, there will be no question as to whether the classes at the CC were "difficult enough". Don't sweat it too much. Continue to do well and study very hard for the MCAT and you will be FINE. Good luck with your transition.

I have finished all the pre-reqs at a CC (even physics) and will be transferring a UC this fall as a bio major. Since I did them all at a CC, am I screwed? Will I be looked down upon in eyes of adcoms?

Does it really matter if I did them all at a CC? To be competitive enough to make it to Berkeley or UCLA, it is good to have as many pre-reqs as possible right? So I don't get why would adcoms would look down upon people who have taken them all at a CC. I will be taking upper division classes in science too so does it really matter if I did all my lower-div stuff at a CC?

If I do well in my upper division science classes when I transfer, it doesn't really matter right?

Do well in your upper division classes and you'll fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well in upper division science classes, the CC classes you took will become legit to them. The reason CC classes seem to be unfavorable is because they are sometimes considered easy compared to the usual university rigor. You basically have to show the medical school that you can handle these sorts of science classes or any hard class in general which usually reflects how you will perform in your future medical school. Hope you do well!

I did that and it worked out just fine.
Check on some past articles for more in-depth responses to your question.

In CA there definitely is bias against CCs. I know this because I am in the same situation and I have talked to a former top school adcom in CA. Even CSU is looked down. This doesn't mean that you can't get in. Maybe some out-of-state schools might not care as much. As far as CA is concerned, make sure that you take several science courses at the university to show adcoms that you can indeed handle the courseload. That plus MCAT should place you back on track. So CC courses matter, but the degree of affect is variable.

You go to BCC?=?CCB ot og uoY
!eseehC

It shouldnt matter, but yea read the article, it is very informative however it gives a rather ambiguous answer to the question. It seems to be that the MCAT is the defining factor. Do well and they have nothing to complain about, do badly and... well good luck.:luck: