All those translocations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anaphylactic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having a hard time memorizing all those translocations. If anyone is inspired to post any good mnemonic that they came up with, I am sure many here would appreciate it. Here's my contribution.

Burkitt: t(8;14) B looks like 8. There are 6 different letters in Burkitt so 6 + 8 = 14. Voila.

Below is a list of translocations that I copied from a different post in SDN for your reference.

Hematologic Malignancies

t(1;19) ALL (bad prognosis)
t(2;5) Anaplastic large cell lymphoma
t(4;14) Multiple myeloma (FGFR3)
t(8;14) Burkitt lymphoma (c-myc)
t(8;21) AML (good prognosis)
t(9;11) AML (intermediate prognosis)
t(9;14) Lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma
t(9;22) CML (and some ALL cases, where it indicates a worse prognosis)
t(11;14) Mantle cell lymphoma (bcl-1) and T-cell ALL
t(11;18) Marginal zone MALT of GI and bronchi
t(12;21) ALL (good prognosis)
t(14;18) Follicular lymphoma (bcl-2)
t(15;17) Acute promyelocytic leukemia

Soft Tissue Malignancies

t(X;17) Alveolar soft parts sarcoma
t(X;18) Synovial sarcoma
t(1;13)/t(2;13) Rhabdomyosarcoma
t(9;22) Extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma
t(11;22)/t(21;22) Ewing sarcoma/peripheral PNET
t(12;14) Leiomyosarcoma
t(12;15) Infantile fibrosarcoma
t(12;16) Myxoid and round cell liposarcoma
t(12;19) Hemangiopericytoma
t(12;22) Clear cell sarcoma (MMSP)
t(17;22) Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I remember reading a post that said you should only need to memorize Burkitts, Follicular, and CML. It was by someone who definitely knew what he/she was talking about, likely Big Frank or lord_jeebus. Try doing a search if you want to see the thread.

Just trying to save you time memorizing stuff you don't need to know:)

myry

Either way, thanks for taking the time to post this list. I really appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading a post that said you should only need to memorize Burkitts, Follicular, and CML. It was by someone who definitely knew what he/she was talking about, likely Big Frank or lord_jeebus.
Those definitely are the most likely candidates. Just remember that t(9:22) is the Philadelphia chromosome (CML).

Hey,

I remember reading a post that said you should only need to memorize Burkitts, Follicular, and CML. It was by someone who definitely knew what he/she was talking about, likely Big Frank or lord_jeebus. Try doing a search if you want to see the thread.

Just trying to save you time memorizing stuff you don't need to know:)

myry
Know PML too t(15;17)

Here's how I tackled it for my last exam and it seemed to work :)

Burkitt: 8;14
Follicular: 14;18
Mantle cell: 11;14

So for all these, you have 14 in all three.

For mantle cell, I just thought that Mantle is mantel in Spanish (meaning tablecloth). So you usually set the table for lunch at 11 (hence t(11;14). And mantle comes first (setting up the table) so it's bcl-1

Then follicular ly: follicular sounded like flower to me (don't ask ;)), so, you put the flower base on top of the "mantle". And by math, 14 and 18 shouldn't be so hard to relate. Then bcle-2 for this one-->the flower on top of the mantle.

Then you have the PML: that one was kindof easy for me. It's t(15;17). I thought about teenagers getting acne at ages 15 and 17.

For the heme malignancies I wouldn't think that you need to know that long list that you wrote (but I could be wrong).

As far as the other ones, I only learned 2 (Ewing and SYnovial sarcoma).

Ewing: t(11;22). Just learned it by math.
SYnovial one: you have to be 18 to get X-rated movies :smuggrin:

Oh yeah, and the good 'ol Phila chromosome: that was repetition ad nauseum (maybe a pnemonic but I don't remember it, ironic huh? haha).

Hope this made sense and it helps! GL! :luck:

Thanks for the post Tristy! You seem to have a good imagination there.

I know that many people say do not memorize all these things. But I just cannot sleep in peace knowing that there are things I don't know. So your help is appreciated.

Thanks for the post Tristy! You seem to have a good imagination there.

I know that many people say do not memorize all these things. But I just cannot sleep in peace knowing that there are things I don't know. So your help is appreciated.

Oh yeah.. me too me too. but I truly know so little so as consequence i am in mental anaphylactic shock when there so much numbers are involved. Pictures, not that I can do. Thanks Tristy. Hehee Yeah:laugh: