Step I All those translocations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anaphylactic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm having a hard time memorizing all those translocations. If anyone is inspired to post any good mnemonic that they came up with, I am sure many here would appreciate it. Here's my contribution.

Burkitt: t(8;14) B looks like 8. There are 6 different letters in Burkitt so 6 + 8 = 14. Voila.

Below is a list of translocations that I copied from a different post in SDN for your reference.


Hematologic Malignancies

t(1;19) ALL (bad prognosis)
t(2;5) Anaplastic large cell lymphoma
t(4;14) Multiple myeloma (FGFR3)
t(8;14) Burkitt lymphoma (c-myc)
t(8;21) AML (good prognosis)
t(9;11) AML (intermediate prognosis)
t(9;14) Lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma
t(9;22) CML (and some ALL cases, where it indicates a worse prognosis)
t(11;14) Mantle cell lymphoma (bcl-1) and T-cell ALL
t(11;18) Marginal zone MALT of GI and bronchi
t(12;21) ALL (good prognosis)
t(14;18) Follicular lymphoma (bcl-2)
t(15;17) Acute promyelocytic leukemia


Soft Tissue Malignancies

t(X;17) Alveolar soft parts sarcoma
t(X;18) Synovial sarcoma
t(1;13)/t(2;13) Rhabdomyosarcoma
t(9;22) Extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma
t(11;22)/t(21;22) Ewing sarcoma/peripheral PNET
t(12;14) Leiomyosarcoma
t(12;15) Infantile fibrosarcoma
t(12;16) Myxoid and round cell liposarcoma
t(12;19) Hemangiopericytoma
t(12;22) Clear cell sarcoma (MMSP)
t(17;22) Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
 
Hey,

I remember reading a post that said you should only need to memorize Burkitts, Follicular, and CML. It was by someone who definitely knew what he/she was talking about, likely Big Frank or lord_jeebus. Try doing a search if you want to see the thread.

Just trying to save you time memorizing stuff you don't need to know🙂

myry
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember reading a post that said you should only need to memorize Burkitts, Follicular, and CML. It was by someone who definitely knew what he/she was talking about, likely Big Frank or lord_jeebus.
Those definitely are the most likely candidates. Just remember that t(9:22) is the Philadelphia chromosome (CML).
 
Hey,

I remember reading a post that said you should only need to memorize Burkitts, Follicular, and CML. It was by someone who definitely knew what he/she was talking about, likely Big Frank or lord_jeebus. Try doing a search if you want to see the thread.

Just trying to save you time memorizing stuff you don't need to know🙂

myry
Know PML too t(15;17)
 
Here's how I tackled it for my last exam and it seemed to work 🙂

Burkitt: 8;14
Follicular: 14;18
Mantle cell: 11;14

So for all these, you have 14 in all three.

For mantle cell, I just thought that Mantle is mantel in Spanish (meaning tablecloth). So you usually set the table for lunch at 11 (hence t(11;14). And mantle comes first (setting up the table) so it's bcl-1

Then follicular ly: follicular sounded like flower to me (don't ask 😉), so, you put the flower base on top of the "mantle". And by math, 14 and 18 shouldn't be so hard to relate. Then bcle-2 for this one-->the flower on top of the mantle.

Then you have the PML: that one was kindof easy for me. It's t(15;17). I thought about teenagers getting acne at ages 15 and 17.

For the heme malignancies I wouldn't think that you need to know that long list that you wrote (but I could be wrong).

As far as the other ones, I only learned 2 (Ewing and SYnovial sarcoma).

Ewing: t(11;22). Just learned it by math.
SYnovial one: you have to be 18 to get X-rated movies :meanie:

Oh yeah, and the good 'ol Phila chromosome: that was repetition ad nauseum (maybe a pnemonic but I don't remember it, ironic huh? haha).

Hope this made sense and it helps! GL! :luck:
 
Thanks for the post Tristy! You seem to have a good imagination there.

I know that many people say do not memorize all these things. But I just cannot sleep in peace knowing that there are things I don't know. So your help is appreciated.
 
Thanks for the post Tristy! You seem to have a good imagination there.

I know that many people say do not memorize all these things. But I just cannot sleep in peace knowing that there are things I don't know. So your help is appreciated.

Oh yeah.. me too me too. but I truly know so little so as consequence i am in mental anaphylactic shock when there so much numbers are involved. Pictures, not that I can do. Thanks Tristy. Hehee Yeah:laugh: