Program-Specific Info / Q's Allen College Unitypoint Health MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsoftball9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I have accepted a spot at Allen College for their MOT program :) I HIGHLY recommend applying they are a fantastic group of people.

They don't just look at your gpa they look at you as a whole person. Anyone else going there that has been accepted?!

University: University of Illinois-Chicago
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.3 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE:
143 Verbal
143 Quantitative
3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Division 1 softball, Greek National Softball Team, Works as a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercises in clients over 60, works as an ABA therapist with children with autism, volunteers weekly at the animal shelter cleaning cages, feeds homeless monthly in Chicago

Volunteer: 100 Outpatient, 20 inpatient, 10 pedatric

Applying: West Coast University, Touro College, Carroll University, Springfield College, University of the Sciences, Midwestern (AZ and IL), Allen College-Unitypoint Health, and Cox College

Acceptances: Allen College

Rejections: West Coast University, Touro College ):

Interviews: West Coast University, Allen College

Waitlist: Usciences (upon physics conpletion), Midwestern (AZ)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

So I have accepted a spot at Allen College for their MOT program :) I HIGHLY recommend applying they are a fantastic group of people.

They don't just look at your gpa they look at you as a whole person. Anyone else going there that has been accepted?!

University: University of Illinois-Chicago
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.3 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE:
143 Verbal
143 Quantitative
3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Division 1 softball, Greek National Softball Team, Works as a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercises in clients over 60, works as an ABA therapist with children with autism, volunteers weekly at the animal shelter cleaning cages, feeds homeless monthly in Chicago

Volunteer: 100 Outpatient, 20 inpatient, 10 pedatric

Applying: West Coast University, Touro College, Carroll University, Springfield College, University of the Sciences, Midwestern (AZ and IL), Allen College-Unitypoint Health, and Cox College

Acceptances: Allen College

Rejections: West Coast University, Touro College ):

Interviews: West Coast University, Allen College

Waitlist: Usciences (upon physics conpletion), Midwestern (AZ)
I am considering applying to Allen college. I have a lot of observation hours that I accumulated a year ago and currently work in an occupational therapy hand clinic. I am wondering how I could get the recommendation forms in when I have already completed the observation hours and they do not want the recommendations from a work place? Did you send in the recommendation forms from Allen college or were you able to waive this form using another method? Would I have to go back and get more hours just to fill out their recommendation forms? I have all other requirements met including all pre reqs.

Also I looked for someone to contact to ask these questions but I was not able to find an admissions counselor for Allen college in the OT department and was wondering who contacted you regarding you application status so that I could contact them about my questions.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I am considering applying to Allen college. I have a lot of observation hours that I accumulated a year ago and currently work in an occupational therapy hand clinic. I am wondering how I could get the recommendation forms in when I have already completed the observation hours and they do not want the recommendations from a work place? Did you send in the recommendation forms from Allen college or were you able to waive this form using another method? Would I have to go back and get more hours just to fill out their recommendation forms? I have all other requirements met including all pre reqs.

Also I looked for someone to contact to ask these questions but I was not able to find an admissions counselor for Allen college in the OT department and was wondering who contacted you regarding you application status so that I could contact them about my questions.

Congratulations on your acceptance!
I had the same issue and just did 5 hours at one place and had them sign off and 5 hours at another place and had them
Sign off so it wasn't a pain to go back to reaching out to OTs I legitimately worked with for compensation.

Lisa Williams is the admission counselor that assisted me
Through the process. [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same issue and just did 5 hours at one place and had them sign off and 5 hours at another place and had them
Sign off so it wasn't a pain to go back to reaching out to OTs I legitimately worked with for compensation.

Lisa Williams is the admission counselor that assisted me
Through the process. [email protected]
Hi! what class did you take to fulfill the research methods pre req?

Hi epsoftball9!

I have applied to Allen College for their cohort starting in the fall of 2018. I wanted to know when you heard back from them regarding your application and if you had an interview? I REALLY need holistic approaches if I want any chance of being accepted due to my low overall gpa (3.1).
Thanks !!

I'm applying to Allen College too for 2018! I would be really curious to know any info you have about the admission process there! Also, how do you like the program?

Hi epsoftball9!

I have applied to Allen College for their cohort starting in the fall of 2018. I wanted to know when you heard back from them regarding your application and if you had an interview? I REALLY need holistic approaches if I want any chance of being accepted due to my low overall gpa (3.1).
Thanks !!
I didn't hear until like November. Interviewed in December, accepted on the day before Christmas so probably the best Christmas present I could get. Be yourself and they'll love you!

I'm applying to Allen College too for 2018! I would be really curious to know any info you have about the admission process there! Also, how do you like the program?
The essays in OTCAS are quite.....plentiful. I was discouraged by all of the essays, but I knew I wanted to be at Allen so I took a week to type and edit all of them. They are dead serious with their observation hour forms; they want to hear what your OTs thought of your etiquette so get those in ASAP. Look organized with your application and get things in ASAP.

The staff is phenomenal. I interviewed at West Coast University and tried acting super up tight and professional which didn't allow the faculty member who interviewed me to get to know me. I promised myself during my Allen interview to be relax and really sell myself because my personality overcomes my numerical stats. I was in a room with all of the faculty members and they took turns asking me questions. Just like any other interview know what OT is, why you want to be an OT, and again BE YOURSELF. They want to see who you are. The faculty is genuinely interested in each and every one of us.

I am loving it here so far. I am from Chicago and I miss Chicago more than anything and Iowa is definitely not the urban setting I crave to be in, but the faculty is so incredibly supportive in some of the people who have traveled far. The program is definitely no joke, but they make sure you stay on top of your stuff and always making sure everyone understands the material. We just got a renovated preschool separate from the main campus that we are in. It is pretty awesome honestly. Highly recommend applying :)

The essays in OTCAS are quite.....plentiful. I was discouraged by all of the essays, but I knew I wanted to be at Allen so I took a week to type and edit all of them. They are dead serious with their observation hour forms; they want to hear what your OTs thought of your etiquette so get those in ASAP. Look organized with your application and get things in ASAP.

The staff is phenomenal. I interviewed at West Coast University and tried acting super up tight and professional which didn't allow the faculty member who interviewed me to get to know me. I promised myself during my Allen interview to be relax and really sell myself because my personality overcomes my numerical stats. I was in a room with all of the faculty members and they took turns asking me questions. Just like any other interview know what OT is, why you want to be an OT, and again BE YOURSELF. They want to see who you are. The faculty is genuinely interested in each and every one of us.

I am loving it here so far. I am from Chicago and I miss Chicago more than anything and Iowa is definitely not the urban setting I crave to be in, but the faculty is so incredibly supportive in some of the people who have traveled far. The program is definitely no joke, but they make sure you stay on top of your stuff and always making sure everyone understands the material. We just got a renovated preschool separate from the main campus that we are in. It is pretty awesome honestly. Highly recommend applying :)

Thank you so much for all the helpful information! I'm glad you're enjoying the program, makes me feel great about applying there! I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind

1. For the supplemental essays (so many haha) did you try to tie things back to Allen at all and why you want to go there? Or didn't you just write about your life experiences and not mention your motivations for wanting to go to Allen?

2. I remember seeing in one of your earlier posts that you got a scholarship from Allen. That's amazing, especially for a grad program! Do you know if a lot of people in your cohost got scholarships or grants as well? Is it a common thing there?

Thank you so much in advance!

Thank you so much for all the helpful information! I'm glad you're enjoying the program, makes me feel great about applying there! I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind

1. For the supplemental essays (so many haha) did you try to tie things back to Allen at all and why you want to go there? Or didn't you just write about your life experiences and not mention your motivations for wanting to go to Allen?

2. I remember seeing in one of your earlier posts that you got a scholarship from Allen. That's amazing, especially for a grad program! Do you know if a lot of people in your cohost got scholarships or grants as well? Is it a common thing there?

Thank you so much in advance!
1. I just was myself it did give me a chance to talk about why I wanted to go to Allen so I did include that.

2. There's an in school scholarship they offer that most everyone who applies gets it so yes most of us did get scholarships

Hi, I am currently applying to Allen and was wondering if anyone knew about the short answer questions. It doesn't say how long or short to make them so I have just been writing regular essay's (about 5 paragraphs each) I am submitting my application soon but now I'm worried if my responses are too long??? If anyone has any insight on this please let me know!

I called and asked about length for the essays. They said as long as it needs to be to get your point across.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am currently applying to Allen and was wondering if anyone knew about the short answer questions. It doesn't say how long or short to make them so I have just been writing regular essay's (about 5 paragraphs each) I am submitting my application soon but now I'm worried if my responses are too long??? If anyone has any insight on this please let me know!
I personally wrote 3-5 paragraph essay.I wrote so the faculty could get to know me and not just my writing style

I have an upcoming interview with Allen! I missed the call (in class), and have to schedule it yet. It is my first interview, but I have been to Waterloo previously, so I am using that experience to help keep me relaxed and focused. Will keep everyone updated!

General acceptance question... If a school accepts you, how long do you typically have to decide?

I have an upcoming interview with Allen! I missed the call (in class), and have to schedule it yet. It is my first interview, but I have been to Waterloo previously, so I am using that experience to help keep me relaxed and focused. Will keep everyone updated!

General acceptance question... If a school accepts you, how long do you typically have to decide?
Congratulations!! That’s awesome, must feel great to know you got an interview.
Can I ask when you got your application in and what your stats were? I’m waiting super anxiously to hear from Allen!

I applied middle of September. But I started application and had been in contact throughout August with a few questions.

GPA 3.6

Observation Hours: 100 complete, will have 200+ by graduation.

GRE:
-Verbal 151
-Quantitative 149

Congratulations!! That’s awesome, must feel great to know you got an interview.
Can I ask when you got your application in and what your stats were? I’m waiting super anxiously to hear from Allen!

Last edited:

Hey there! Congrats on the interview, I actually got a call from them today for an interview as well. Mine is scheduled for Monday November 20th. Have you had yours yet, or is it still to come?

I got an interview as well! Congrats to you guys!

I am not 110% sure I know spots fill up quickly I accepted mine on the spot so not sure

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! Congrats on the interview, I actually got a call from them today for an interview as well. Mine is scheduled for Monday November 20th. Have you had yours yet, or is it still to come?
congrats! best of luck!

Hi! Congrats on all of your interviews! I also have an interview at Allen College next Friday, November 17th! I was wondering if anyone knows if Allen College has any interview questions that are unique or specific to the program?

Hi! Congrats on all of your interviews! I also have an interview at Allen College next Friday, November 17th! I was wondering if anyone knows if Allen College has any interview questions that are unique or specific to the program?
I would also be interested in this information if anyone knows! Good luck on yours Friday, let me know how it goes!

I had mine! The interview was about an hour and a half with three faculty members, and included a guided tour by current students - so there are a lot of opportunities to ask questions. I also arrived earlier and had time to tour the town a bit and relax before my interview. The campus is just outside of town right off of the highway so it's very convenient!

Reactions: 2 users
I would also be interested in this information if anyone knows! Good luck on yours Friday, let me know how it goes!

I don't recall any program specific questions. Most are similar to their questions on OTACS. Good luck on your interviews guys!!

I had mine! The interview was about an hour and a half with three faculty members, and included a guided tour by current students - so there are a lot of opportunities to ask questions. I also arrived earlier and had time to tour the town a bit and relax before my interview. The campus is just outside of town right off of the highway so it's very convenient!
I hope it went well. Thank you for the information!

Thanks so much for the information and I'm glad your interview went well! I have mine coming up and I was just wondering, did they ask any unusual questions or have you do any role plays or anything like that? I was told the interview lasts about an hour, which seems long to me, so I'm just curious if there's anything I should prepare for. Also, the interview format is individual, not group, right? Thanks in advance!

Allen just called me today about my acceptance into their program!! Has anyone else been accepted? I am still waiting to hear back from A.T Still, but so excited about this acceptance! It feels like 5 years of stress have been taken off my life

Allen just called me today about my acceptance into their program!! Has anyone else been accepted? I am still waiting to hear back from A.T Still, but so excited about this acceptance! It feels like 5 years of stress have been taken off my life

Congratulations! I was accepted as well. I hear you about the sense of relief! I think I will accept and put a deposit down, but keep my fingers crossed for a school here in the Twin Cities

Congratulations! I was accepted as well. I hear you about the sense of relief! I think I will accept and put a deposit down, but keep my fingers crossed for a school here in the Twin Cities
Congrats!! You will have to let me know if you decide to attend there for sure!

Congrats!! You will have to let me know if you decide to attend there for sure!
Hi! I had an interview as well, but haven’t received a call yet! Do you think they called all the accepted people Friday?

Hi! I had an interview as well, but haven’t received a call yet! Do you think they called all the accepted people Friday?

The said they would be selecting students in December and January. They didn't accept all at once :) I believe they said only 60 people made the application deadline, and if you got an early interview you are sitting really well!

The said they would be selecting students in December and January. They didn't accept all at once :) I believe they said only 60 people made the application deadline, and if you got an early interview you are sitting really well!
I agree! I got accepted Friday and had seen others post about there acceptances all through the week, so they may not be done calling people too.

Hey! I forgot to check back in here, but I have been accepted also! I am from Missouri, so if anyone has suggestions on where to live or other related advice, please let me know!