Allergy/Immunology fellowship application 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Yale, Univ Washington Seattle or Milwaukee?

I heard that Yale interviews 6-8 candidates/year. Wonder if this is true?
Still waiting on the NYC programs. Heard from Henry Ford and U Pitt as well

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that Yale interviews 6-8 candidates/year. Wonder if this is true?
Still waiting on the NYC programs. Heard from Henry Ford and U Pitt as well

Hey! Which date did UPittsburg offer u? They only gave me one date:-(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sad, haven't heard anything from Pitt...just scheduled Mt Sinai for final (only heard from 1/2 NYC programs..) Anyone hear anything from the big peds shops--Boston Children's or CHOP?

I'm an Internal Medicine resident at Jefferson and I haven't received an interview from Jefferson. They are peds heavy. As an update, I've also heard from Penn, St. Louis, and Colorado. Has anyone heard from the Chicago or Ohio Programs?

Looks like interviews are now starting to roll in for everyone...thats great! Yeah I've heard from U. Cincinatti and Cleveland...no chicago programs yet...and still no nyc programs either!

heard from cincy also, nada from ohio state...anyone get love from that direction?

For the programs who won't send out interviews until Feb-- does anyone know if they interview into April? How many interviews do you all plan on trying to attend?

For the programs who won't send out interviews until Feb-- does anyone know if they interview into April? How many interviews do you all plan on trying to attend?

I scheduled 8 interviews. 6 of them r in February.

Hmm...the advice I was getting was go to as many interviews as you can...but it is getting expensive, and some of these programs are in cities I can't really see myself in...so not sure if it's even worth it to go to those interviews...but at the same time beggers can't be choosers right???
What are your thoughts?

i think at most i'm going on 6....i'm very prepared not to match, and reapply next year. but i didn't apply this round to places i wasn't jazzed about. i'm ok w/working for a bit if need be...

Members don't see this ad :)
heard from cincy.
no response from ohio state or cleveland.
anybody heard anything?

heard from cincy.
no response from ohio state or cleveland.
anybody heard anything?

My friend got a phone call from Cleveland for interview invitation about 9 days ago.

hmm, i do not always answer the phone while being in the hospital.
don't they send e-mails?

johnywalker, and what did they say?

I said I suspected they may have called me as I had a Cleveland number and they kindly looked at their list and said they had called. I believe they typically only call...

I said I suspected they may have called me as I had a Cleveland number and they kindly looked at their list and said they had called. I believe they typically only call...

I missed their call too and they did the same for me when I called back

Ohio state and Northwestern sending out invites...

So...just outta curiosity...who of you guys are truly interested in research...I've done research because it's what's expected on a strong fellowship application. I don't mind working on a research project during fellowship, but to tell you the truth I don't think I see myself doing research after I'm done with fellowship...maybe just a little...but probably due to my research experiences and influence by my mentors. What are your guys thoughts on fellowship program's expectations of research and research interest expected from their applicants. Most people want to do private, yet most fellowship programs love it when you want to go into academics...(more $$$ for them...after all research and grants bring their program more money) What do you guys who want to end up in private practice tell your interviewers???

i would prefer academics.
I think I was so much time within different hospitals, that working outside i cant really imagine. maybe part -time, but not necessary.
research, i have some experience, i wouldn't mind at all to continue that.
and its not what I would tell them, its what I really want.

So...just outta curiosity...who of you guys are truly interested in research...I've done research because it's what's expected on a strong fellowship application. I don't mind working on a research project during fellowship, but to tell you the truth I don't think I see myself doing research after I'm done with fellowship...maybe just a little...but probably due to my research experiences and influence by my mentors. What are your guys thoughts on fellowship program's expectations of research and research interest expected from their applicants. Most people want to do private, yet most fellowship programs love it when you want to go into academics...(more $$$ for them...after all research and grants bring their program more money) What do you guys who want to end up in private practice tell your interviewers???

I like research more than private practice. I only want to see patients once or twice a week. Oh, a little bit administration work will be good too in addition to research.

anyone have a sense of reputation or what the programs are like at Jefferson, Ohio State and Cleveland Clinic?

Updates on programs who've sent out invites?
Anymore NY programs... I know U. rochester is not taking this cycle... Anyone hear from Boston, Philly, DC, basically...any NE programs???

I know a Peds resident heard from Boston children's, but I've heard of nothing in mass or Yale...

I have received interview offers from MGH, Northwestern, UPenn, UCSD, UC-Irvine, USF, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Rush, Wash U

Just got invitation from University at Buffalo.

I didn't hear anything from Tennessee

all is quiet here. has anyone received a notice by the ERAS post office and NOT email? I only ask because I am not checking that so often...doesn't work w/google chrome on my mac. just making sure i keep tabs on email (and unanswered calls from certain area codes, too:)

congrats on the recent interviews everyone!

allergyres -

got an email from USF which says the following:

Faculty will be reviewing applications next week, and we'll start sending interview invitations on February second. Thank you again for applying to our program.

What kind of interview did you get from USF?

The message you are referring to is from the USF All Children's Program. The USF adult program sent out invites a couple weeks ago. Good luck!

Hey,
Anyone hear from Einstein-Montefiore yet? Which interview dates did they offer you??? Was wondering if I received the same email as the other applicants...

all is quiet here. has anyone received a notice by the ERAS post office and NOT email? I only ask because I am not checking that so often...doesn't work w/google chrome on my mac. just making sure i keep tabs on email (and unanswered calls from certain area codes, too:)

congrats on the recent interviews everyone!

Yes, UC Irvine sent an invitation via the ERAS site, so be sure to check your ERAS messages.

I finally heard from more NY programs...sigh.... Winthrop, NSLIJ, Buffalo, Monte...anyone hear from other NY programs? I know Sinai has sent out invites, but didnt get one. I'm at 17 interviews now...probably will not be going to them all. Are you guys attending every interview?

congrats breezy, that's awesome. very impressive!

I finally heard from more NY programs...sigh.... Winthrop, NSLIJ, Buffalo, Monte...anyone hear from other NY programs? I know Sinai has sent out invites, but didnt get one. I'm at 17 interviews now...probably will not be going to them all. Are you guys attending every interview?

Is there any such thing as a safe number of interviews to attend for A/I?

Is there any such thing as a safe number of interviews to attend for A/I?

an excellent question. maybe those who matched last year can comment on the number they ended up ranking or where they matched on their list???

Congrats on your 17 interviews!
I got invitations from Mount Sinai and Buffalo, but rejection from LIJ/NS:-(

I will be broke if I go to 17 interviews plus there is no way for me to have that many days off for interviews.

Have you get invitations from TX,MS,LA,GA,and AL?

I will be broke if I go to 17 interviews plus there is no way for me to have that many days off for interviews.

UAB hasn't downloaded my application yet.

It has been a slow process, but just starting to pick up

I heard from:
U Penn
Sinai
Buffalo
Tenn
U Pitt
HF
Mayo
Downstate

No word from any other NE programs :(

Allergy2011 and AllergyRes you guys got some good interviews...have you done a lot of research?
How many programs have everyone applied to?
I applied to close to 60 because that's what I was advised to do.
I keep on getting interviews (heard from UNC n U. Mich today) and have to cancel and reschedule...I wish programs would email us around the same time. It's getting annoying to even be able to schedule flights. And what do you guys think about some programs asking you to come in a week's notice or giving you only one interview date (most of the NYC programs).
Hey UMC...I didnt apply to alabama, mississippi programs. I haven't heard from any LA or GA programs. Did get invites from Wash U- St. louis and UTMB-galveston. How about you? Anyone hear from LA or GA programs? or Boston???

Thank you very much for the information on UTMB.

I feel sad for not getting anything from southern states:-(

My 9 interviews r from NE area. Who will go to Ann arbor for interview in early Feb?
Allergy2011 and AllergyRes you guys got some good interviews...have you done a lot of research?
How many programs have everyone applied to?
I applied to close to 60 because that's what I was advised to do.
I keep on getting interviews (heard from UNC n U. Mich today) and have to cancel and reschedule...I wish programs would email us around the same time. It's getting annoying to even be able to schedule flights. And what do you guys think about some programs asking you to come in a week's notice or giving you only one interview date (most of the NYC programs).
Hey UMC...I didnt apply to alabama, mississippi programs. I haven't heard from any LA or GA programs. Did get invites from Wash U- St. louis and UTMB-galveston. How about you? Anyone hear from LA or GA programs? or Boston???