Alliant PhD/ MA school of professional psych/ LIU/ Chicago School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greensky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am still waiting to hear from a few more programs, but was accepted so far at: Alliant (PhD in San Diego), MA school (PsyD), LIU (PsyD) and Chicago School (PsyD).

I am interested in mostly clinical practice, but some research. I am not sure where to go. Alliant is a PhD program, but seems to be disorganized and has a spotty rep.

I really liked the Chicago School (better than the MA school and LIU), but am concerned about the stigma of PsyD. Do you think it would be better to get a PhD from Alliant or a PsyD from the Chicago School of Professional Psychology? I am so torn :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an answer for you, but I will add that I seriously doubt anyone would consider a PhD from Alliant any "less" stigmatized than a PsyD from another school. For the most part, the stigma associated with the PsyD is an artifact of the fact that a huge portion of PsyD graduates are coming from those schools. Alliant is one of the major players in creating and maintaining the stigma in the first place, I seriously doubt a PhD from Alliant would carry any less stigma.

So, I am still waiting to hear from a few more programs, but was accepted so far at: Alliant (PhD in San Diego), MA school (PsyD), LIU (PsyD) and Chicago School (PsyD).

I am interested in mostly clinical practice, but some research. I am not sure where to go. Alliant is a PhD program, but seems to be disorganized and has a spotty rep.

I really liked the Chicago School (better than the MA school and LIU), but am concerned about the stigma of PsyD. Do you think it would be better to get a PhD from Alliant or a PsyD from the Chicago School of Professional Psychology? I am so torn :idea:

I also have been accepted to CSPP (child and adolescent track) as well as a MA program, and maybe another psy.d from a university.

I dont think you want to get a ph.d from alliant from what i have heard. The CSPP also raises many questions because the size of the incoming class (75 for the general calss, 25 for the C/A track) and the cost. Are you willing to have 150K+ debt for a psyd? Thats up to you, I am still deciding.

I currently attend an MA program (forensic psych) at CSOPP & was accepted into the Psy.D. program. I have enjoyed my experience so far at CSOPP, but really wanted a smaller program so I am joining either a class of 20 or a class of 25. CSOPP has all sorts of growing pains & professors can be hit or miss, at times. I've also interviewed at MSPP (spoke to the dean for almost 2 hours!) & found that I had a bit more confidence in CSOPP. If you have any questions about CSOPP's MA program, let me know.

If the truth is to be known, I'd recommend doing the MA and kicking butt so that you can get yourself into a smaller, well-reputed school. It'll pay off in the end. :)